PDA

View Full Version : First Interview - Written Exam

Flaps10
26th Oct 2007, 15:32
Hello,

Can anybody who's been through the first round interview recently (perhaps in SFO) give a quick overview on the type's of questions being asked on the written exam?

Are they anything like the ones in the "Cathay Interview Prep" book?

Thanks for your help.

Machpointeightfour
26th Oct 2007, 18:04
Its pretty basic ATPL theory like high altitude aerodymamics, T/O calcīs, metar and the like, so find our old books and study.

You have 30 min for 30 Q's.

Good luck.

Cheers .84

texas145
26th Oct 2007, 18:57
XYZ had a pretty good gouge when I was in SFO. Beyond that and ATP theory, you'll be fine. If you miss a few beyond that, you'll pass . . .

Also, try: Pilot Career Centre (http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/)

flyboy007
27th Oct 2007, 05:16
A few quick notes for you; I'll post more when I get a chance but i'm rushing out on holiday!
Very relaxed environment from, the minute I walked through the door. I was led into a quiet room to do a 30question multi guess tech quizz initially.From what I remember:
1. If EAS reduces what happens to induced drag?
2. What is EAS? eg a)tas corrected for density b)CAS corrected for.... etc
3. How do you reduce tendency to dutch roll? eg Larger fin etc
4.where are the meridians furtherest apart? euqator
5. shortest distance between two points? Great Circ
6. at higher speeds does total drag increase or decrease? decrease due to dec in induced drag.
7. what happens in a venturi? eg air pressure decreases and kinetic energy increases.
8. a stable aircraft will....a)on being upset return to it equilibrium etc.
Interview again very chilled with 2 guys.
First was questions about myself etc. Career to date/why Cathay/why leaving current job?/have I applied to anyone else?/What happens if they offer something at same time as Cx?/Why is Cx so profitable? Is it profitable? How much profit last year?/ How did they do during SARS etc?/Why? When was it formed? what orders? which type on order?(777-300er) Where might they utilise these 777-300ers? (I said poss Hong Kong to East Coast USA)
Tech side of things was nothing too major.
A bit about my own aeroplane type.(including how many and what type are the fire extinugishers in the flightdeck/passenger cabin?) Limits/TO and Landing Mass/aircraft ceiling/
De rate TO? Why? When? (eg VMC limited to increase TO Mass)
Stab tanks in 744/airbus? Why? What other things change with CG shift? eg VMCA increases as CG moves aft..why? Stall speed decreases, why? longitudinal stability reduced.
Why rolls royce engines? Differences between twin spool and triple spool (RB211)?
typhoon formation. where? eg 5-15ish degrees latitude. taf decodes. what does 'rapid' mean in a taf?
Any other Qs send me a note. Sorry that's about all I remember at the mo. Rest assured though, it was a very relaxed experience regardless of what others may have posted on here. Very very chilled.
Good luck, all the best

skywaytoheaven
27th Oct 2007, 10:36
Thanks 007, great post, I guess its chilled as long as you know all the answers!:)

fly123456
27th Oct 2007, 10:56
However I might still think the answer at your sixth question was an increase of total drag at higher speed. (just look at the total drag curve)

Anyway I wish you all the best for the next parts of your interview process.

flyboy007
28th Oct 2007, 01:51
Sorry, my answers given were not specifically or exclusively those which I thought correct, but rather the options I could remember. Especially where there may be some seemingly 'random' answer choices.
Also WRT that particular question, it's very difficult to interpret correctly which is why I put it. eg. What is defined as a "higher speed"? It could be anything, and if it is a speed higher than Vimd than drag will increase as speed increases, but if it is lower than Vimd, drag will decrease. Take your best guess on what they are asking there I think.
Good luck

fly123456
28th Oct 2007, 08:40
alright, sorry about that then :)

flyboy007
29th Oct 2007, 09:39
That's ok, I didn't take it as an insult!

TWINGLOBES
30th Oct 2007, 05:35
Pilot Career Centre keeps up on any new questions that come up and trends in the interview.

texas145
5th Nov 2007, 23:58
Starskate, have you read this thread??? Third post has the address. Geez.