PDA

View Full Version : FALA on Google Earth

antic81
25th Oct 2007, 11:13
Hi there

Just having a look at Google Earth and I notice that the aerial images they have of FALA show 06L out of commission and 06R looking like it has just been resurfaced, just wondering when this work was done?
I was flying out there in 05 and again in 06 for a couple of months and both runways were fully operational...well most of the time anyway!

Just wondering when this work took place and what work was done, purely out of interest.

What can I say…I am bored

Cheers

Ant

25th Oct 2007, 12:44
I don't know when any work was done at LA, but Google earth is sometimes very outdated. Some of the areas haven't been updated in more than 10 years!

antic81
25th Oct 2007, 12:57
Hey 126.7,

Thanks for the reply, I don't think this image is from more than about 4 years ago or so, as the new terminal is visible and so is the new VOR at the end of 06L, not sure when that was installed, but I was told it was pretty new when I was out there in '05.

Cheers

Ant

RobinB
25th Oct 2007, 13:16
FALA is undergoing quiet a bit of work. 06L/R both operational and have been for years. Taxi ways around the hangars have all been resurfaced. Hangars near the tower have been demolished to extend the apron. I believe the tower will be re-located at some time.

More of the low cost carriers will be operating from FALA. Kalula are there already on a few HLA-CTN flights, but will extend to other cities.

One wonders if all the junked aircraft littering the maintenace apron will be "moved", hopefully so......

RB

antic81
25th Oct 2007, 13:54
You've got a good point there Robin, they take up a load of space!
I wonder how they would go about getting rid of them?
My guess would be just to carve them up and through the bits onto the back of a truck as scrap metal?

I hear they have finnished the road now (DF Milan?), it was a bit of a nightmare getting out there when I was last out, have a look on Google earth and let me know what you think, just interested as to when they shut 06L for what must have been quite a long period, no ILS on 06R so must have been rather inconvenient for a time...not to mention the difference in length/width!
Although having said that, ILS 06L was u/s for the whole two months I was there!

RobinB
25th Oct 2007, 14:03
have a look at www.lanseria.co.za (http://www.lanseria.co.za)

antic81
25th Oct 2007, 14:18
Cheers Robin.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

If you choose Hybrid and then search Lanseria you will see what I mean!

whiskeyflyer
25th Oct 2007, 14:43
OLD PRESS RELEASE: So Google picture older than sept 2006

Upgrade Complete

2006-09-15

Bring on the world, Lanseria International Airport is ready!

Hosting major events like the 2010 World Cup will be a lot easier now that Johannesburg's most convenient airport has completed a massive upgrade to its runways and now can host bigger aircraft such as the modern Boeing 757-300 and Airbus 319.

The upgraded runways were officially opened in a symbolic 30m ribbon cutting ceremony on the airport's main runway this week.

The massive upgrade, which has cost R100 million to date, is the second part of a three-tier upgrade to ensure that Lanseria is truly competitive as an alternative destination in Gauteng.

And with 2010 being a priority for all transportation in the country, Lanseria International Airport can proudly boast one of the most modern airports in the world, and will be ready to host the challenge of the 2010 World Cup.

According to Mr Roux Marnitz, Chairman of Lanseria International Airport, "we are very excited about the 2010 World Cup. We expect lots of business aircraft during the period leading up to the tournament and indeed during the tournament itself."

The first part of the upgrade was the Main Terminal Building, and was completed in 2002. Today's announcement will see the second part, i.e. the Runways and Taxiways have been lengthened and widened to help alleviate the growing demand for air travel in Gauteng.

The third phase of the upgrade will be the relocation of the Air Traffic Control Tower to the southern side of the airport.

Being one of only two international airports in Gauteng, Lanseria International Airport needed to accommodate bigger aircraft, and it now also serves as the alternate airport to Johannesburg International Airport . So when weather patterns cloud over Johannesburg International, aircraft can be diverted to Lanseria International Airport to prevent backlogs.

Lanseria International Airport is 1000 feet lower than Johannesburg International Airport and therefore is perfect for this alternative destination.
While still hosting top charter companies, Lanseria International Airport also offers schedule flights to the Mother City on SA Airlink. Exciting new Schedule flights to Mozambique will also take off soon.

At Lanseria International Airport, customer convenience and superior service is the norm and all passengers can make use of the Business Lounge facilities in the main terminal. The airport also offers safe, secure and covered parking as well as a variety of retail shops.

The massive upgrade, which has cost R100 million to date, is the second part of a three-tier upgrade to ensure that Lanseria is truly competitive as an alternative destination in Gauteng.

And with 2010 being a priority for all transportation in the country, Lanseria International Airport can proudly boast one of the most modern airports in the world, and will be ready to host the challenge of the 2010 World Cup.

According to Mr Roux Marnitz, Chairman of Lanseria International Airport, "we are very excited about the 2010 World Cup. We expect lots of business aircraft during the period leading up to the tournament and indeed during the tournament itself."

The first part of the upgrade was the Main Terminal Building, and was completed in 2002. Today's announcement will see the second part, i.e. the Runways and Taxiways have been lengthened and widened to help alleviate the growing demand for air travel in Gauteng.

The third phase of the upgrade will be the relocation of the Air Traffic Control Tower to the southern side of the airport.

Being one of only two international airports in Gauteng, Lanseria International Airport needed to accommodate bigger aircraft, and it now also serves as the alternate airport to Johannesburg International Airport . So when weather patterns cloud over Johannesburg International, aircraft can be diverted to Lanseria International Airport to prevent backlogs.

Lanseria International Airport is 1000 feet lower than Johannesburg International Airport and therefore is perfect for this alternative destination.
While still hosting top charter companies, Lanseria International Airport also offers schedule flights to the Mother City on SA Airlink. Exciting new Schedule flights to Mozambique will also take off soon.

At Lanseria International Airport, customer convenience and superior service is the norm and all passengers can make use of the Business Lounge facilities in the main terminal. The airport also offers safe, secure and covered parking as well as a variety of retail shops.

Commander 690
8th Nov 2007, 13:22
whiskeyflyer,

Easy on the Whiskey, You seem to have a stutter :):)

When do you expect the B732 (GAV) to fly???

Flying Bean
8th Nov 2007, 14:18
And along with all the new fancy buildings and tarmac................

R50 per day for parking with NO alternative!!!!:*
(Is'nt that more than JIA or have they gone up as well?)

So add R200 for your long weekend in Capetown!

antic81
8th Nov 2007, 14:56
I think that you will find that price will probably keep going up pretty steadily as commercial ops increase.

eish
8th Nov 2007, 18:00
Last time I paid the Acsa daily parking fee at ORTIA it was R84/24hours!!

Lanseria is a bargain.

Commander 690
9th Nov 2007, 04:14
With Kulula now flying out of HLA to CT, DBN and PE makes life much easier.

Rumor has it that 1Time will soon be flying the same routes from HLA.

CJ750
9th Nov 2007, 04:30
This might seem all hunky dory..All the renovations and all the sweet talk from the airport management BUT the reality is that there is no parking for general aviation anymore. After a few heated words with parking people (WHO NEVER COME OUT ANYMORE TO GUIDE YOU TO YOUR BAY), and management i was told about all the fancy KAK ideas they had about new parking (as can be seen from the current earthworks), but the reality is that with a few airliners on the apron and a few big business jets there is no space. They try and put us in spaces where the manoeuvering is a hazard for a medium size aeroplane. I have also been told that they place more emphasis on the airlines as they receive more revenue from them. So where does that leave General Aviation. Unfortunately it is far easier to operate an international flight out of FALA than ORTIA so we are stuck there.