PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on UK airlines!!

Mr Seatback 2
11th Jun 2001, 12:00
The time has come everyone for me to pack my bags and go north - waaaaaaaay north from Sydney to London...in search of the ever elusive flight attendant job.

Whilst I know it won't be easy, there are a great deal more opportunities available in the UK as opposed to Australia at the moment (compare the number of airlines, both scheduled and charter in the UK to the ones here, and you get my drift!)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from those (both current and former) crew what their experiences were like between the various carriers. I have the right to work and live in the UK, with an EU passport.

Also would like any further advice as to what, in YOUR opinions, are the better carriers to work for (and I don't just mean in monetary terms)...

Next Generation PSR
12th Jun 2001, 00:21
Excel Airways operating Next Generation Boeing 737-800s as well as wide-bodied Boeing 767-200ERs are filling the last few places at the moment (I believe around 30 places remain)

Go to their website www.excelairways.com (http://www.excelairways.com)

Good Luck!

vince.fogharty
13th Jun 2001, 03:47
Air2000 are good to work for, do a nice mix of shorthaul and long haul from LGW and MAN or the smaller bases for Shorthaul only.

You can download the application form online from http://www.air2000.com and go to cabin crew recruitment

Best of luck.

Biscuit Chucker
13th Jun 2001, 14:58
Good luck with your plans Mr SB2! Bet you have a ball! So lucky that you have EU passport. Know someone who worked for Monarch Airlines, a charter company. Might be worth checking out! Keep in touch, let us know how you go!

rubik
13th Jun 2001, 18:55
Virgin Atlantic are a great airline to work for - I've been here 13 years! We are always recruiting.

Check out the Virgin Atlantic website www.virgin-atlantic.com (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com) Click on "This is Virgin Atlantic" & then "Recruitment".

Good luck!

Xenia
15th Jun 2001, 15:21
It really depends what you are after....
As charter airlines Excel seems to offer the best package with the best atmosphere. Maybe Next Generation Purser can agree with me on this ;)
BTW NGP...See u soon @ Excel :) :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Next Generation PSR
16th Jun 2001, 00:21
Hi Xenia,

Well done, looking forward to flying with you - welcome aboard!

Xenia
16th Jun 2001, 05:29
Thanks NGP
I can't wait!! ready for a terrific good laugh???
Please find my e-mail in my profile and drop me a line :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

poppycat
17th Jun 2001, 16:49
I agree with Xenia, it really depends on the tye of job you are looking for, in general all airlines are the same , and the crews complian about the same things, the grass is not greener. In general if you are looking for good people go for the smaller airlines or bases, if you just want to travel and dont care if you dont get spoken to long haul is fine.

euroboy
17th Jun 2001, 17:14
Just flew with Excel Airways Gatwick to Mykonos dept 8 June rtn 15 June XLA 5020/5021. They were very good and crew professional and friendly. Worked well together. Catering was excellent-that Chicken in whole grain mustard sauce best hot meal on a plane Ive had. :)
Flights both ways on time.
Pre booked seats £30 rtn for leg room staff great in that department to.

Think some other charter carriers need to look out for Excel......... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 17 June 2001).]

Next Generation PSR
20th Jun 2001, 12:22
Thanks for the feedback Euroboy, glad you enjoyed your trip with us. Always great to get praise from other cabin crew (usually most critical) - nice to know that the hard work everyone is putting in is paying off!

See you again soon - and by the way how was Mykonos - does it live up to it's reputation?

deepvainpain
20th Jun 2001, 17:26
I have to agree with rrubik. Apply to Virgin Atlantic. Ive only been here a year but have worked for 2 other UK airlines Britannia and bmi and Virgin are better by far. The routes are some of the best and the crew are lovely. There is always someone on the flight who is up for a mad one down route and the passengers are a dream compared to charter flights. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Virgin are almost always hiring as it is growing so fast, but it is quite hard to get into.