PDA

View Full Version : anyone worked for a start-up?

englandair
13th Feb 2001, 02:37
Personally, I'd rather work for a small start-up carrier rather than a massive one with hundreds of crew.

If you've worked for a start-up I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Cheers,
Jamie.

euroboy
18th Feb 2001, 03:51
I had the same throughts as yourself on this one.
I started flying with British Midland in 1988 in the days Air Europe, British Caledonian where all kicking about. Midland in those days were small and being based at LHR we did 4 sector days to either BFS, GLA, EDI and AMS, earlies or lates. Flights were on DC9-15 with 3 cabin crew and the base at LHR was small. After 10 years at BM I went to Debonair at LTN. They had been going for appox 2 years when I joined. I was taken on as a No1 (I had been a Line Trainer when I left BM) and was promoted to a classroom trainer in SEP and Security. I enjoyed it, and if you have the expirence start ups want you/need you. I got involed in a lot of different aspects of the job including interviewing, cabin service, and yes job satifaction. BUT it was hard work, and the perks are poor ie. concessions, pension schemes, etc. I learnt a lot doing it. Also your job is never safe as such with a start up. Debonair went bust some 15 months after I joined.
I`m now with a UK major very happy, pleased that I did have those chances but never look back or wish to go back to the small/start up airline. There are some which are successful, but if look back in aviation history, it is full of airlines in coffins.

You may be interested to know there is a new start up at LTN called Euroceltic wanting crew, flying Fokker F27 to Waterford. See their web www.euroceltic.com (http://www.euroceltic.com)

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 18 February 2001).]

englandair
24th Feb 2001, 20:30
Hi Euroboy & thanks for your reply.

I'm only 16 now so it'll be a few years before I apply to an airline, but after reading what you wrote I think I'll just go strait for a major.

Thanks again,
Jamie.