PDA

View Full Version : Merged: SIA Inaugural A380 Flight to Sydney

troppo
25th Oct 2007, 02:18
Any yarns or photos?

watch your6
25th Oct 2007, 04:15
Have a look at the SingAir website....the level of comfort available is outstanding.

DickyPearse
25th Oct 2007, 04:36
Have a look at the SingAir website....the level of comfort available is outstanding.

For those willing to pay $10k to get to Singapore it is. For those in the back, an extra inch in the width, the same pitch and an extra 100 people in line for the toilet. Hardly surpirising though, those that were forecasting better times for the economy passenger were dreaming.

training wheels
25th Oct 2007, 04:51
Any yarns or photos?

Here's a video (http://media.theage.com.au/?category=Breaking%20News&rid=32669) of its take-off from Singapore.

Buster Hyman
25th Oct 2007, 05:02
I'm waiting for the video of the honey cart unloading!!!:yuk:

"Surf's up!!!":}

Brian Abraham
25th Oct 2007, 05:10
One ultra keen type paid $120,000 for a seat. Hope this is not seen as an omen for the future.

littlehurcules
25th Oct 2007, 05:12
Nice Touch ....

SQ380

Look forward to the arrival pics in SYD - hope the WX holds out

Could not imagine doing the ILSPRM beside it ...:}:}

tipsy2
25th Oct 2007, 06:52
That is one VERRRRRRRY Long takeoff run!!

Don't know about the distance covered but from the video timer, it's about 55 seconds ground roll to airborne, exactly the same as a 707 out of Paya Lebar. Changi though, doesn't have the second 'hump' like Paya Lebar that fell away and not surprisingly, one became airborne.

tipsy:ok:

Jabawocky
25th Oct 2007, 07:22
Not knowing the V1 etc etc.....but a quick estimate and menta maths tells me that may have been around 2000m used up. Plenty more to go!!!

J

Xatrix
25th Oct 2007, 07:35
Looks like it used a similar distance floating down runway trying to milk a greaser in SYD! :hmm:

Brutus
25th Oct 2007, 08:06
Did anyone else notice that they used reverse thrust on the inboards only? Is that an Airbus thing or did they operate the first ever service with an MEL?

Short_Circuit
25th Oct 2007, 08:07
Looks like the NBR 1 T/R failed to deploy on landing SYD.:D
S CCT

Syd eng
25th Oct 2007, 08:08
Yeah noticed it on the News footage.

Short_Circuit
25th Oct 2007, 08:18
The more things change, the more they stay the same..... :ooh:
Thank God for LAME's :O
( psst.. hay, anyone got a stapler):eek:
S CCT

rmm
25th Oct 2007, 08:19
IIRC no T/Revs on the O/B engines.

Short_Circuit
25th Oct 2007, 08:27
Why did SACL spend 2 years widening the 16/34 RWY and taxi ways if not to accommodate A380 OPS? Surely 4 X T/R is normal OPS…

Ron & Edna Johns
25th Oct 2007, 09:10
The A380 definitely has thrust reversers on the two inboards only.

And wrt to widening rwys, the thing has to take off also, you know. Having the two big outboard donks hanging over the grass is a sure fire way to FOD them....

Howard Hughes
25th Oct 2007, 09:22
Stayed back to watch the beast land tonight, is it just me, or is that one boring aeroplane? Just doesn't seem to have any character, although maybe it was the dated Singapore paint scheme...;)

B A Lert
25th Oct 2007, 09:49
Nice Touch ....

SQ380

Gee that was clever and cool! I wonder how much some bright marketing expert was paid to come up with that idea? ;)

Taildragger67
25th Oct 2007, 11:09
People,

A380 reverse is ONLY on the inboards, to prevent FOD from ingestion of stuff being kicked up by 1 & 4 blowing forwards.

Short_Circuit, re SACL widening pavements, well YSSY isn't the only airport into which the A380 will operate. Some of those 'orrible foreign places won't have done the widening such as SACL has done (what? SACL actually ploughing some $$ back into the airfield? Quell'horreur! :eek: Don't let Mac Bank find out!)

Lots of photos on Airliners & Jetphotos of landing A380s and it's always only 2 & 3.

Howard Hughes,

No mate you're not alone. It's a big, functional (read; ugly) people-mover. The builder is not called Airbus for nothing (and that is not meant to start a A-v-B debate or comments on their quality, I've ridden in some very well-put-together Mercedes public transport in my time).

dreamjob
25th Oct 2007, 11:41
Does the 747 reverse thrust work the same way? ie. inboard only

Taildragger67
25th Oct 2007, 11:44
No, it's all within 150' on a Jumbo, so over the tar. 747 donks don't suck in as much air volume, either (less thrust and smaller fan diameter).

rotornut
25th Oct 2007, 11:46
This guy obviously enjoyed it:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2007/10/25/quest.airbus.a380.experience.cnn

airjordan
25th Oct 2007, 11:47
went by the runway near the old tower to watch the scarebus land.

was a great moment except when a lovely Atlas Air 747 Freighter taxiied past and blocked our view at the very moment the A380 was completing its landing roll. most spectators were angry and gave atlas the finger, it was quite amusing how worked up everyone got.

ScottyDoo
25th Oct 2007, 13:17
when a lovely Atlas Air 747 Freighter taxiied past and blocked our view .....most spectators were angry and gave atlas the finger

Morons...

A380 reverse (thrust) is ONLY on the inboards, to prevent FOD from ingestion of stuff being kicked up by 1 & 4 blowing forwards

This is what Airbus prefer punters to think but the wieght penalty applied to this lemon of a thing is just as much an issue with a reverser system accounting for like 25-30% of the weight of the powerplant assembly.

It's all a trade-off.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Oct 2007, 09:25
Ch 10 news tonight in YPPH reports that the return flight to WSSS was delayed DUE WEATHER.....

Any further elaboration chaps/chapesses???

(X/Wind on 16/34???)

Cheers:ok::ok:

Qantas 787
26th Oct 2007, 09:52
I was more impressed with the Atlas 747......nice livery on it ;) Compared the the 747, the A380 is just ugly

Keg
26th Oct 2007, 10:35
It ain't called the Dugong for nothing!

troppo
26th Oct 2007, 10:43
Can't help to think that those who have backed the 787 are the winners. Would suggest that the days of high capacity main trunk routes are gone. More people want to fly to different places and with the price off oil at record highs the dream liner is going to open up new markets/sectors rather than the traditional Heathrow - Singapore/Hong Kong/Los Angeles - Sydney/Auckland routes. Time will tell but what say you all?

Capt Fathom
26th Oct 2007, 11:46
Scotty Doo..This is what Airbus prefer punters to think but the weight penalty applied to this lemon of a thing is just as much an issue with a reverser system accounting for like 25-30% of the weight of the powerplant assembly.

Sound business management to me. Why go to the expense of having reversers on the outboard engines when all your data says Foreign Object Damage.
Reverse Thrust is NOT considered in performance calculations. It is an added extra that is nice to have!

MELKBQF
26th Oct 2007, 12:26
I was watching the Sky news report when the 380 landed in SYD. The reporter said "the aircraft was very quiet untill the reverse thrusters were applied" LOL, can the 380 back itself out from the gate? :rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
26th Oct 2007, 12:55
Why go to the expense of having reversers on the outboard engines when all your data says Foreign Object Damage.
...unless your brain is saying "That looks like the end of the runway just there ahead...gosh, its wet isn't it?":ooh:

stillalbatross
26th Oct 2007, 14:48
Can't help to think that those who have backed the 787 are the winners. Would suggest that the days of high capacity main trunk routes are gone. More people want to fly to different places and with the price off oil at record highs the dream liner is going to open up new markets/sectors rather than the traditional Heathrow - Singapore/Hong Kong/Los Angeles - Sydney/Auckland routes. Time will tell but what say you all?

Tropo, can't help but thinking with all the fighting going on at every major airport for more runways and the small chance in hell that anyone living in a western country would put up with a new airport when the current one gets too full (Sydney, Wellington etc)and the increased congestion from road traffic and thus the reluctance for most to travel to Stanstead (for example) instead of Heathrow (as it's closer) would all lead me to believe an aircraft as big as this sentence cannot go wrong and lets remember it's really only 80 odd seats more than the average 744, more importantly though it will be more efficient.

Icarus53
26th Oct 2007, 15:22
I notice nobody has mentioned the wake turbulence NOTAMs on SY yesterday - are we to assume that this will be the norm from here on in? If not, why the trouble this time - it's just another revenue flight after all!!!

Lasiorhinus
26th Oct 2007, 15:42
Had a laugh reading the SMH's article on it.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/10/25/1192941244923.html

The captain, Robert Ting, was mobbed as he waded through the upper deck. Eager to share a moment with the flight's most crucial passenger, he was caught at one row of seats signing his name a dozen times; somewhat startled, he managed a smile each time a camera flash went off. "I've never flown before and come up the back to talk to passengers," he explained.

One man, purple with excitement, rushed to ask him who was flying the plane.

Ting played along, pulling out his mobile phone: "Which way you like?" he asked, a finger poised above the keypad. "Left or right?"

:ok::ok::ok:

QFinsider
26th Oct 2007, 16:57
ou le citron, mon ami Keg! :E

lowerlobe
26th Oct 2007, 20:02
"I've never flown before and come up the back to talk to passengers," he explained.

....Times have changed from the old days when the pilots actually talked to mere mortals.....:yuk:

hoggsnortrupert
26th Oct 2007, 20:06
:=The vertical fin is huge? Wonder what the loads are on the banjo/fuse?:suspect:
Chr's
H/Snort.

ScottyDoo
26th Oct 2007, 21:36
Reverse Thrust is NOT considered in performance calculations.

Correct - with Accelerate Stop distance calculations. On the other hand, Advisory Information for landing distance required, normal config or otherwise takes available thrust reverse into account. You'd like some extra buckets on that fat pig of a thing when you suddenly need to be on the ground in a hurry, somewhere other than your planned Dest.

Why go to the expense of having reversers on the outboard engines when....

....your over-weight slug might not sell as well???

....Times have changed from the old days when the pilots actually talked to mere mortals.....

Boohoo..... no one talked to Lubed!!! :{ Don't worry, Lubed, we do actually talk to the humans... :p

lowerlobe
26th Oct 2007, 22:08
Don't worry, Lubed, we do actually talk to the humans..

...But Scotty Poo does anyone want to talk to you.....unless they are paid to of course .....

ScottyDoo
26th Oct 2007, 22:47
Good comeback, Lubed. :ok:

Should I be expecting another one of your nasty PMs now??? :{

RedTBar
28th Oct 2007, 02:37
I dunno midnight it might be great on the inside but it is an ugly duckling on the outside.

Probably a good example of function over form.Now if the Italians had designed it instead of the French:E

corowacomet
28th Oct 2007, 03:27
".....Now if the Italians had designed it instead of the French....."
It would still be stuck in Singapore with unknown tech problems.
The Comet.

FoxtrotAlpha18
29th Oct 2007, 04:13
Ch 10 news tonight in YPPH reports that the return flight to WSSS was delayed DUE WEATHER.....

Any further elaboration chaps/chapesses???

(X/Wind on 16/34???)

No major cross winds, but there was a lot of lightning around at 1530 which closed the ramp and therefore halted the loading process for an hour or so, then a catering truck's hydraulic system $hit itself and it couldn't be moved away from the rear of the aircraft.

Finally left at 1811 I'm told!

Atlas Shrugged
29th Oct 2007, 05:43
most spectators were angry and gave atlas the finger
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-002.gif to you too!

Uncle Jestar
29th Oct 2007, 09:11
I reckon the big bus looks great and you lot should find a Boeing model to pick on!:eek: Capt Ting said that they took off from SIN using 76% rated thrust as they were relatively light. Also it uses 10% less runway compared to MTOW 747-400 in similar conditions ie- A380 at MTOW.
So there!!:8

sinala1
29th Oct 2007, 09:24
Also it uses 10% less runway compared to MTOW 747-400 in similar conditions ie- A380 at MTOW.
So there!!
True, but that still doesn't change the fact that its fcuking ugly! :E

Anyone see that movie Flight Plan with Jodie Foster? It looks similar to the aircraft in that movie!

Results may vary
30th Oct 2007, 04:39
YSSY has recently installed a storm warning system on the apron with flashing white/blue strobes on the apron lighting masts and it was activated for about an hour while I was in the middle of refuelling the A380, so everything had to be shut down and all the people (ive never seen so many suits around 1 aircraft) had to run inside and hide for a while. Apart from the catering truck and the lightning storm, I think she got away late but OK. :eek:

Bankstown
30th Oct 2007, 10:27
Various shots:
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=9V-SKA&view=true

mudpig
31st Oct 2007, 01:32
I managed to get on board for about 20min the morning prior to departure. The cabin interior is awesome. I can only see this layout really being a once off. Once the other airlines receive theirs I'm pretty sure the extra leg room and excess business class seats will be sacrificed to cram as many poverty class seats in as possible to maximise profits.
On time performance gone to sh!t on first outing? I watched and waited over near ATC from 3.30 till 6. No rain no lightning plenty of holes in the overcast sky to escape through. Faulty hydraulics on catering trucks? They're kidding themselves. There were two trucks there the whole time. I'm pretty sure it is still possible to back a truck away from the aircraft if this lift unit is still raised. Sounds like a bunch of poor excuses if you ask me.

Results may vary
31st Oct 2007, 05:51
"I'm pretty sure it is still possible to back a truck away from the aircraft if this lift unit is still raised. Sounds like a bunch of poor excuses if you ask me."

Sorry mate, these ground handling vehicles and many others like it (refuellers, freight lifters etc) have interlock systems all over them, so they generelly cant be moved unless all the hydralics, doors, switches are in the right place to prevent accidents from people moving them with equipment not stowed properly. So in the case of the catering truck, being stuck in the raised position, it would not be closing that interlock switch causing the brakes to be locked on. Also on the SQ A380's first flight out last Friday, there was lightning and rain. I should know, I was the one fuelling it and had to stop for a while due WX.
Cheers
X

goatie117
31st Oct 2007, 07:25
Was in SYD @ spotters point along 34L when A380 arrived. Was the first to see it flyover as i was taking pics of the 3 choppers out over the bay waiting for its arrival. Could not hear the aircraft as it flew directly over the airport heading for harbour bridge & the coast. Was at 2100' and still stuck in cloud, so Capt TING gave the beach flyby a miss. 14 mins later it arrived. Very smooth touchdown. Shame about the ATLAS air in our way. Some ppl spat it. Quite funny.
Was now really excited to be on board for the SYD-SIN leg. Being from PER, have heard about Syd WX - so when the storm approached and ground services stopped i knew there'd B a delay. Was 1st in board Q for Upper Deck & security half way down the airbridge stopped me to check my laptop bag. SO PI$$ED off as i was filming the entrance onto A/C. Now i ended up being about 30th person. GGrrrr!!! :ugh: Why couldn't that have been done while ppl waiting 4 delay.
On board tho - it was magical - french champagne, canapes, awesome rest qual food, total party atmosphere. Conversation was easy as the A/c is so quiet. humidity levels & air quality much improved. ppl moving round the cabin all flight understandably. Met capt Ting who informed me the arrival in SIN would be autoland - 1st time for the A380 (obviously) in commercial capacity. Lots of memories / great ppl and a wonderful product. Well done SIA & thanks for the gift bag. :ok:

Angle of Attack
31st Oct 2007, 15:33
How many pilots were operating this flight? Goatie117 just said the fabled Captain Ting flew the return leg back to SIN as well, but it was after a delay, this has got to be minimum 17-18 hour tour of duty. Probably more?! With the addition of the Atlas, in his story is it just me or is he another SIA manager putting a brand new vain post in pprune? haha! Good try mate! Now get your license! :) Man they really try unfortunately most of them are stupid! Go the COMET! ^^;

goatie117
1st Nov 2007, 01:20
AoA grow a brain.. where did i say Capt Ting flew return leg - he was actually speaking to passengers & signing autographs during the trip and doing PR and in case ur wondering im linked with QF, so my praise of SQ is genuine. There were 4 flight crew on board including an Airbus test pilot. BTW my license is in the mail

Keg
1st Nov 2007, 01:41
AoA, the A380 sat here for a day and a half before the return leg.

wessex19
1st Nov 2007, 01:56
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines, the first operator of the new Airbus A380, has dashed the hopes of sexual thrill-seekers planning to engage in amorous activity aboard the world's biggest jumbo jet.
The carrier said it would ask passengers on the A380 to refrain from sex while ensconced in one of its 12 first-class suites, which boast the world's first airborne double beds.

"All we ask of customers, wherever they are on our aircraft, is to observe standards that don't cause offence to other customers and crew," the company told Reuters in a statement.

"Nothing different applies for our Singapore Airlines Suites customers."

While private, the double cabins are neither sound proofed nor completely sealed.

Singapore Airlines, the world's second-largest airline by market value, started commercial flights of the double-decker A380 last week with a Singapore-Sydney service.

"So they'll sell you a double bed, and give you privacy and endless champagne and then say you can't do what comes naturally?" Tony Elwood, who traveled with wife Julie in a suite aboard the inaugural flight, told the Times of London.

"They seem to have done everything they can to make it romantic, short of bringing round oysters," Julie said. "I'd say they shouldn't really complain, should they?"

:=

20driver
1st Nov 2007, 03:08
What is the expression?
Build and they will c---

Ah forget it

20driver

mohdawang
1st Nov 2007, 03:12
AoA seems to be the classic australian pilot, paragon of first world skygods. Goatie, thanks for being decently genuine and correct.

MTOW
1st Nov 2007, 07:12
Very droll, 20driver.

Metro man
1st Nov 2007, 07:24
It's going to happen, like it or not. Imagine being the first couple to do it in an A380, special level membership of the mile high club. That bed certainly looks easier than sliding the seats back in a light twin or standing up in a turboprop cockpit. ;)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
1st Nov 2007, 07:32
Didn't a QF CA offer a similar service recently, it's all about the service.........