PDA

View Full Version : Request for elderly Imperial Airways /BOAC flying boat passenger to interview

Slats One
24th Oct 2007, 21:23
I have been asked by a radio producer to take part in a radio programme about the old days of the empire flying boats (they know I crewed Catalina Z CAT through Africa in the early 1990s).

The producers are specifically looking for a woman who flew as a passenger on the 1930s- 1940s Imperial or early BOAC flying boats as a passenger- which would have been as a child.

It's a respectable and long standing radio programme - no silly scare stories - if anyone knows of such a person (they want a woman as there are too many of us chaps on board already) please post here and we can exchange emails.

Thanks

ZFT
25th Oct 2007, 01:17
I would suggest you remove 'elderly' if you want any hope of a positive outcome.

Tony Mabelis
25th Oct 2007, 07:25
I am currently in contact with a very nice old lady in Durban, whose husband flew back at the end of the war, in January 1946, on the 35 Sqn SAAF, Cairo-Durban 'shuttle'.
The aircraft was Sunderland 'K-RB', I have an original photo of it, taken on its arrival in Durban harbour, at the end of the above flight.
Mrs. Pearce has herself, flown from the Vaal Dam to Durban on a flying boat after the war, but I don't know if this was a civilian aircraft or not.

BillS
25th Oct 2007, 08:07
Unlikely to be an "Empire" in 1946.
I believe Coriolanus VH-ABG (ex G-AETV) was the only remaining Short C class still flying then.

WHBM
25th Oct 2007, 08:27
Reading past accounts and looking at passenger photos, about 90%-plus of the pax on the long-haul boats seem to have been men. And don't forget the crews too.

And not necessary to have been a child. BOAC gave up the long-haul boats in 1949. An adult aged 20 then would be 78 now.

Slats One
25th Oct 2007, 08:44
I did not mean 'elderly' to sound pejorative. It is just that they would be.

Apologies if offence caused where none meant

If one flew on these boats in the 1930s, one would have been a child - or in the 1940s, a late teens -ager.

And yes, most crews and pax were male- military, diplomatic, wealthy- but many family members travelled too.

Here's hoping...

Skylion
25th Oct 2007, 09:50
A good number of colonial government employees' children would have flown on the Solents between Southampton and East, Central and South Africa up to the end of flying boat services in 1950. That's when the short lived but very comfortable Hermes took over for its brief BOAC life which ended for most in 1952 and for a small number at the end of 1954 (it was revived on East African routes April - December 1954 to cover for the withdrawn Comet 1s) . Assuming that their memories would have been up and running by the age of 6 the youngest flying boat travellers would now be around 64, so less of the " elderly " please!

Albert Driver
25th Oct 2007, 10:12
To Slats One "elderly" is anyone over the age of 45. :ugh:

The point he fails to grasp is that anyone wanting to contribute to the radio program wouldn't want to be described as "elderly".

I don't remember Neville Duke as being "elderly". Even at 85 he was still sharper than most radio producers I've met.

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2007, 10:34
To Slats One is "elderly" is anyone over the age of 45.

hmmm:uhoh: I'm almost elderly...:{

Return to base
25th Oct 2007, 11:05
I have white hair, I walk with a stick because of illness, I am over 60.......I am positively ancient:) :{

rtb

Seloco
25th Oct 2007, 11:09
At the age of 90 my mother still regales me with vivid memories of travelling from UK to China by flying boat just after WW2. I think she'd accept being qualified as elderly!

Slats One
25th Oct 2007, 11:40
All,

Slats one here- and I am 45 Ok!

Elderly never used to be an offensive term- just as young or youthful is not rude- so why is elderly deemed so rude!

No do not answer that- just accept humble apologies and forget I psoted in the first place...

Social science PC re-education camp for me then.

Oh for a Super VC 10 to escape on!

PPRuNe Pop
25th Oct 2007, 16:41
Slats,

Forget the re-education.

Elderly is neither offensive or rude. If you are elderly you are elderly end of. This PC nonense is ridiculous and anyone who was flying with Imperial Airways/BOAC in those years ARE elderly. I remember that IA stopped flying in 1938 - IIRC in December. I also remember that too because my dad used to take me to Croydon. I am elderly too, with the recognition of a bus pass, Senior RailCard etc., Saves a lot of dosh.

And........I still enjoy a good life.

PPP

renfrew
25th Oct 2007, 17:18
For PPRUNE pop,
BOAC officially took over from Imperial on 1 april 1940

For Bills,
BOAC's Caledonia was in service until March 1947 and Golden Hind until Sept 47.
QANTAS's Coriolanus last flight from Noumea to Sydney 20Dec47.

Adventurous Empires by Phillip Sims covers the whole story of the Empire boats and is a good read.

spekesoftly
25th Oct 2007, 18:49
Slats One,

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you might like to click here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=450200&highlight=flying+boat#post450200) to read the recollections of one our regulars. I found it very enjoyable, and it may provide you with some useful background information.

WHBM
25th Oct 2007, 19:49
I think folks it would be good to move on from the "elderly" banter here. I for one will be very interested to listen to all the recollections on the programme when it is broadcast (including I hope Seloco's mother - see above).

Alexander Frater, who wrote the book "Beyond the Blue Horizon", an absolute must for flying boat/old airliner buffs like many of us here are, may have some contacts who remember being in the aircraft.

My own recollections only go back as far as the Sandringham coming over my house in the late 1980s (I still remember the sudden roar overhead) prior to alighting on the Thames when it visited London, and seeing (and walking through) selfsame aircraft once again a couple of weeks ago in Kermit Weeks' museum in Florida. But Adventurous Empires and a number of other books about the golden days are regularly to be found scattered on my coffee table at home. Do post when the programme details are known.

Skylion
25th Oct 2007, 19:51
I suggest that the Muthaiga Club in Nairobi would be a good place to look for an interviewee. If you emailed the Secretary ( [email protected]) he might be able to assist by advertising the possibility of an interview on the Club's notice boards.

Slats One
25th Oct 2007, 21:18
Thanks everyone for your help. Most kind. All very evocative.

Alex Frater - he of Beyond the Blue Horizon, also made a BAFTA award winning fim of the Catalina Z CAT thru Africa for the BBC- The Last African Flying Boat. I know this as I was there and flew the thing at one stage.

I also spoke with Phillip Simms about his book- sadly he died shortly after publication - so I am told (?). Tragic. Damn fine book.

I think we have now found a suitably wise, slightly mature, personage to interview!

I will post on PP as soon as the broadcast time is known. It's on 'proper' radio don't you know...

Once again sincere thanks.

PPRuNe Pop
26th Oct 2007, 19:47
renfrew.

My typing was in error! It was 1939 in December that the British Overseas Airways Corporation was formed to takeover IA. But in September IA was told, along with all civvy aircraft to move as war had been declared. Most were moved to Whitchurch.

The RAF then moved in.

Amos Keeto
27th Oct 2007, 23:39
Slats one - that wouldn't happen to be on BBC Radio 4 on 17th November at 10.00 by any chance.....would it?:hmm:

The Flying Pram
28th Oct 2007, 22:29
Slats One, Interesting thread - "The Last African Flying Boat" rung a bell. A quick search through my VHS tapes (remember them) and I have found this film. It's too late to watch all of it now, but I will definitely do so tomorrow. The A/C at the beginning of the program is C-FJCV.
Regards.

treadigraph
28th Oct 2007, 22:59
Pram, tis the same one, details here (http://www.warbirdregistry.org/pbyregistry/pby-rcaf11054.html).

Excellent programme, I have it too and dig it out occasionally. Love to get it on DVD.

The Flying Pram
29th Oct 2007, 21:30
In which case treadigraph I saw it and took a few photos, at Ardmore airfield whilst holidaying in NZ during 1997.
Thanks.

SR71
31st Oct 2007, 20:40
I've just seen this thread....
My Dad returned from Hong Kong to Southampton in 1949 on a Sunderland as a passenger aged 7...perhaps a Plymouth?
He has a momento (presumably from the flight) which includes what looks like a registration: BOAC GHMV.
This does not appear to have enough letters to be a kosher registration...certainly it does not feature on this link: http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/airfields/fleet.html
Sorry for the slight thread hijack but can anyone shed any further info on the aircraft?
Cheers.

The Flying Pram
31st Oct 2007, 23:02
I imagine that Air Britain Historians would be able to help. Web site: http://www.air-britain.com/

WHBM
1st Nov 2007, 23:24
My Dad returned from Hong Kong to Southampton in 1949 on a Sunderland as a passenger aged 7...perhaps a Plymouth?
He has a momento (presumably from the flight) which includes what looks like a registration: BOAC GHMV.
This does not appear to have enough letters to be a kosher registration...certainly it does not feature on this link: http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/airfields/fleet.html
Sorry for the slight thread hijack but can anyone shed any further info on the aircraft?
Cheers.
No reg quite like this. I would guess it was one of G-AHIM or G-AHIV. Both were Short Solent 2s delivered new to BOAC in 1948 and withdrawn in 1950.

I just happen to have a 1949 BOAC flying boat timetable here for the route which may be of interest :

BO901/903. Plymouth type (ie Short Solent)

Hong Kong 0700 Tue/Fri
Bangkok 1200/1300
Rangoon 1500. Nightstop

Rangoon 0630 Wed/Sat
Calcutta 1000/1115
Karachi 1930. Nightstop

Karachi 0530 Thu/Sun
Bahrain 1030/1130
Alexandria 1830. Nightstop

Alexandria 0945 Fri/Mon
Augusta 1500. Nightstop

Augusta 0715 Sat/Tue
Southampton 1530

The Tuesday departure from Hong Kong had come through from Yokohama, leaving there on Sunday, overnighting at Shanghai and again at Hong Kong. This aircraft left Southampton on the outward trip at 1100 on a Saturday and got home again a few hours over 2 weeks later.

renfrew
2nd Nov 2007, 22:23
It's a pity we cannot identify the aircraft but the letters given don't tally with anything I can find.
As the poster says it was probably a Plymouth(otherwise known as a Sandringham?)
The Solents were mostly used to Africa.

Bob E
15th Sep 2009, 17:55
Was looking for G ADHL (Empire or C class flying boat "Canopus") on Google..
Came across your forum..
So signed on just in case anyone was interested..
I flew as a 6 yr old lad from Poole to Karachi in Canopus
departed Poole on the 16th of May 1940..
Bit different from my Concorde flight New Your to London in 1989!!!
Cannot remember a great deal but I'm here in the New Forest of Good Old England...
And Happy to Help...
Cheers Bob E...

renfrew
16th Sep 2009, 19:19
You just made it!
The last eastbound flight was around 10 June.
Canopus later went to the new base at Durban and flew the Horseshoe Route from there to Sydney.

rubob
29th Jan 2011, 06:15
I Know This Is In Answer To An Old Request - Nearly 2 Years - But I Am Also Looking For Information Re My Flight, Immigrating To Australia, With My Parents As A 5 Year Old, That Left England On About 30th March 1948 And Arrived In Sydney On 7th April 1948. I Do Recall That We Probably Stopped Overnight At Alexandria (?), Bahrain, Calcutta, Karachi, Rangoon, Singapore, Darwin, But I Do Not Know If I Have Remembered All Of The Stops And Would Like To Know Them. I Also Do Not Recall Which City We Boarded In England.

WHBM
29th Jan 2011, 08:15
Rubob :

I haven't got a 1948 BOAC timetable in my collection, and by the first one, 12 months later, the Australia route had already gone over to Constellation land planes.

The people who probably will have one are the British Airways museum enthusiasts. For security reasons we can't put e-mail addresses right here, but you will find a link to e-mail them 3/4 way down this page, under "Contact the Heritage Centre" :

British Airways - Heritage collection (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/museum-collection/public/en_de)

rubob
29th Jan 2011, 22:16
Whbm:

Thank You - I Have Just Sent Them An Email.

WHBM
29th Jan 2011, 22:50
......Left England On About 30th March 1948.
I've just noticed you may have been on the very last flying boat service to have left from Poole Harbour, which had been used as a base during wartime. On 31 March 1948 the flying boat service transferred back to the previous base at Southampton. "Special" trains (which were often nothing more than a reserved carriage on a regular train) to both left from London Waterloo station, generally the evening before the boat's early morning departure. Poole is about 30 miles further along the railway beyond Southampton.

renfrew
30th Jan 2011, 09:16
I have a timetable for September 1947.
The route is shown as Poole/Marseilles/Augusta/Cairo/Basra/Karachi/Calcutta/Rangoon/Singapore/Sourabaya/Darwin/Bowen/Sydney.
Journey included 7 nightstops.

The Lancastrian landplane service went straight through,London/Lydda/Karachi/Singapore/Darwin/Sydney.

Entaxei
30th Jan 2011, 22:27
Don't know if this will qualify, but Aquila ran a flying boat service from UK to Funchal, Madeira, I believe from late 40's to end 50's. There is even a flying boat/Aquila museum in Funchal, with a lot of detail/information, even fridge magnets!!. I would think that a lot of people are still around who are 'young' and could provide memories. ;)

Kiwithrottlejockey
5th Feb 2011, 23:20
Slats One (http://www.pprune.org/members/136781-slats-one)
Alex Frater - he of Beyond the Blue Horizon, also made a BAFTA award winning fim of the Catalina Z CAT thru Africa for the BBC- The Last African Flying Boat. I know this as I was there and flew the thing at one stage.

I've got some scanned photographs uploaded to PhotoBucket that were taken on a flight around Gisborne, NZ in Z-CAT not long after she was acquired by the Catalina Club of NZ and registered ZK-PBY. The Catalina was still wearing the Peter Stuyvesant colours at the time. I'm not entirely sure of the date, but it would most likely have been sometime around 1995. I'll do a bit of hunting (I've got a heap of stuff uploaded to PhotoBucket, so I'll have to search for the pix) and when I locate them, I'll post the photos to a new thread.

JoannaPanama
9th May 2013, 23:45
I know it is a bit late to answer to this link but my aunt flew to HongKong in 1946 or 47. on a flying boat. She is now 91 so was about 25. She was going out to get married and kept a diary.