PDA

View Full Version : Facts on EMIRATES!

X-Crew
9th Jun 2001, 21:30
Hello all of you,

there have been a lot of topics related to ek, but there is no one where i could find infos on:

contract duration / is it renewable or not?
monthly income /
number of your monthly free days
if you quit the job before the end of your contract: how long in advance do you have to resign.
if you do so, is there something like a fine you have to pay? whatīs the fineīs amount?
is the accomodation in dbx free? do you have to share it?
iīve heard something over a food court. is the food free as well?
are there no problems when taking your saved money home?

thanks for your answers and greetings from spain, david

xtc
12th Jun 2001, 18:55
well x-crew i hope this clears up a few things for you.

First of all your contract is based on a renewable 3 year deal, u would have to be pretty bad if they decide not to renew.

-monthly salary - well u have a base salary and flying pay, base for starting crew is around 3700 dirhams (exchange is 1$au=1.9dhs.
and then u would have a flying pay of about 40 dirhams an hour and u can expect to fly any where between 60 to 100 hours per month.

-u must have at least 6 days off per month but we all get about 8 per month.

-if u leave u must give at least 1 months notice and no u don't get any fines but if u stay for your 3 yrs contract then u receive bonuses at the end of it as incentive. i believe its about 6000 dhs or more.

-your accomodation is absolutly free, no bills except telephone - no electricity no water- transport is provided from your apartment to your flight and back for each and every flight or duty that you have. Accomodation is very very good, u have two or three bedroom apartments and each gets their own room with own phone and own toilet/shower.

-on the contrary food is not free.... on the aircraft it is though.

- taking money home is no problem, u can do direct transfers with the bank or through many exchange outlets which are here..

well i hope this gives u a better understanding with ek, it is a great company to work for and definitly the only one which is exploding in this region in regards to promotion opportunities, it offers a great lifestyle.

it all depends on your own characteristics, if you are a positive person then u will have a ball out here on the other hand if u r the opposite then i would say don't torture yourself.

i have been out here for five yrs and am still enjoying not only dubai but the job as well..

if u need more info pls do tell....

Biscuit Chucker
13th Jun 2001, 14:47
How hard are the entrance interviews? any different requirements to those of other airlines? (eg QF)

X-Crew
14th Jun 2001, 15:29
thanks xtc for posting a reply,

thanks to you i got to know ek working conditions better.

i only have two more questions:

on this forum some f/a referred to something like a food court at ek? is it like a restaurant for ek employees with special prices?

how are your flights like?
how many nightstops do you normally have per month? just 24H or do you have any with a few days at your destination?

the basic sallary is pretty high. apart from the flying hours do you also get any diets when spending any night abroad?
how high would a monthly salary be icluding those diets?

thanks for your reply and safe flying!

david

ghengis can't
15th Jun 2001, 14:09
I'm reading all of these posts with great interest as a good friend of mine has just applied for an interview with Emirates. Can someone please give a brief description of the interview process and how best to prepare for the interview. Thanks in advance.

xtc
17th Jun 2001, 09:34
hi guys/gals

xcrew, depending on what you bid for u can have anything up to 5 layovers a month, the norm is between 3 and 4. most of our flights are night stops but we do have:
- 3 day paris
- 4 day singapore ( broken with a flight to syd or mel in between)
- 3 night malta
- 1 1/2 day johannesburg
- 2 day rome
- 2 day colombo
- 3 day kuala lumpur

as for the diets situation, i'm not quite sure what u mean by that, but im not aware of special diets on layovers, but we do get fab allowances on layovers eg. overnight in london we get 60 pounds.
as for the food court, again i havnt heard anything about that, maybe its the food fight that was once had in a food court in singapore that our crew got lots of flack for but it was funny anyway.

As for the interview process, basically i can say that they will ask you to take part in a game/puzzle, the main thing to remember is finishing the game or solving the puzzle is not really important, they want to see how you interact with a team, just be considerate to everyone on your team, bounce ideas, ask for suggestions, clarify anything with your team mates and you should do fine.

the next stage is the one to one, remember to just be your self, be cherpy and don't lie too much as they will know from the answers..

frequently asked questions:
1.Why do you want to work for ek.
2.a passenger orders a veg meal but u don't have one for them, what will you do.
answer - apologise to the person, try to find a veg meal from business or first, if none then try to find any fruits or sandwiches that may be on board, if none then there is not much you can do just try to make passenger feel as comfortable as possible providing some extra care.

3. how will u deal with a drunk pax.
a- as long as they are happy and not causing probs then its ok but if u can see that they are starting to get a little carried away then start delaying drinks, offer some food in between etc.

They will ask about service recovery which is what did you do to follow up on the pax.

They will ask about your previous experiences in your occupation, probs that arose with colleagues or people and how you dealt with it.

The important thing to remember is these interviewers do this for a living and are a lot smarter that people may think, just be yourself, be genuine and look happy and interested.

As for grooming, tie your hair back if it is long, wear a smart business outfit, try and wear red lip stick, red nail polish ( as this is the grooming for femail crew)
for guys, a business suit, clean shaven, polished shoes and hair not below collar length..

i hope this helps, if any one has any more ?'s then pls drop me a line.

ciao4now

cabinboy
17th Jun 2001, 11:22
xtc - you are a legend.....thanks for that info....you have given me motivation to apply for EK after somewhat being afraid to apply.

Is it true that male quota of aussie male f/a's has been filled ? and that they are only looking at females from oz these days ?

Thanks again for your providing us with this info

cabinboy :)

xtc
23rd Jun 2001, 15:58
no probs cabinboy,

i'm not too sure as to the situation regarding the hiring ratios but certainly when i go into the training college here in dubai there are not many guys as compared to gals per batch.

i will try and find out and let you know of the siti itchi wation.

if u need more just let me know..

flapsforty
26th Jun 2001, 10:48
Hey xtc, posotive posts that make for interesting reading man! :)

Always nice to find out how other airlines run their show and how it affects the lives of their FA's.

A small hint; X-Crew probably means "daily allowances" when he refers to "diets". Here in Scandinavia, the money that people get payed to sustain themselves when on the road for the company is called "diet-penger" which roughly translates to "diet-money". :)

Hope this clears up the confusion.
rgrds
f40

X-Crew
7th Jul 2001, 21:00
hi xtc,

thanks for your infos and also for your patience.
you told that you have normally beetween 3-4 layovers a month and that most of ek flights are nightstops, so i understand that you have those 3-4 layovers per month plus some more nightstops, is that true?
yes, with diets i meant daily allowances. i also understand that to your basic pay and flying hours you also have to add the daily allowances you get when overnighting abroad.
would it be possible to save your basic salary & flying hours and spend just the allowances you get in order to cover your monthly living costs?
my last question is: are there a lot of f/a quitting the job after a small period of time because they canīt adapt themselves to live in arabia? that is what most worries me althoug i am a person who loves to experience new things.

thanks for answering my strange questions,
i am looking forward to receive your reply,

greetings from spain, david

ghengis can't
23rd Jul 2001, 01:03
Can someone tell me what to expect for round 2 of the EK interviews please. Thanks.