PDA

View Full Version : south africa here i am...

hungryLinehunter
24th Oct 2007, 14:38
hi...
first of all congrats to all south africa for the rugby world champion.

i am coming to SA in january 2008 and wish to fly a bit recreationally with my relatives.got my licenses which are faa.can someone describe me the actual procedures for obtaining the conversion and the time it will take?
thanks

ab33t
24th Oct 2007, 16:41
I think this has been posted somewhere here.

Anyway here we go. Make sure you have all the correct paperwork with you , ie medical in date etc etc . DONT FORGET THE PASSPORT PHOTOS , you guessed it I did .

Once you get there go to a FTO and they will give(sell) you the Air Law Book not too thick I assure you. Write this exam, when I was there in April you could write it at the FTO, there were changes on the offing that you would need to write this at SA CAA please check before you go as the exam slots , I believe are booked up far in advance. and then go do a check ride. If your flying is upto scratch you will get away with the basics, ie emergencies and power on and off stalls steep turns and flapless/enginless landings if you perform well on these you could get away with not doing the x crountry. Once you have all this done you will be required to present yourself to the CAA with all the tests signed off and all your relevant paperwork . You hang around for +- 3 hours (thats how long mine took) concidering that this is the CAA its not that bad

KlitserKlits
20th Nov 2007, 10:07
Oooo geeez, hope you not the dodgy Pom that cooks his hours....:oh: