PDA

View Full Version : PA31 Chieftain

ratyrat
24th Oct 2007, 13:06
Hi
anyone know the power settings for the above a/c in the normal cruise eg. MAP/RPM plus f/f.

Cheers
ratyrat

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Oct 2007, 15:51
Hope I memory is correct, its been a lomg time.

glf

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
24th Oct 2007, 16:29
Depends what you require. 29", 2200rpm and leaned on the EGTs to 50f (2 notches) cooler richer than peak trues out about 165-170kt.

Kit d'Rection KG
24th Oct 2007, 16:35
If you need to know because you'll be flying the aircraft, may I urge you please to read the flight manual and go by what it says? :)

There's far too much flying by bar-stool talk, don't be part of it! :=

nomorecatering
25th Oct 2007, 04:14
50 deg rich of peak..........YUK.

Look up also www.gami.com

Go read avweb.com and look up John Deakins engine series in Pelicans Perch. I will show you why 50 deg rich of peak is the worst possible mixture setting to have.

POH's are written by Lawyers, not pilots.

Anonymus6
25th Oct 2007, 06:26
Cruise between 26 - 30" manifold depends on the companies procedures. 2300 RPM in cruise and 75 degrees rich of peak during cruise.

it is a fun airplane to fly, I loved it when I was flying it.

Good luck,

Flintstone
25th Oct 2007, 10:36
nomorecatering

Sadly it's the lawyers who will have you by the balls if anything goes wrong though. I suggest using the POH unless the owner says otherwise and puts it in writing.

Kit d'Rection KG
25th Oct 2007, 10:47
I speak with some experience when I say that you'll have no problems at all operating a fleet of PA31s if you fly them by the book. :)

The general point that some (though not all) flight manuals are not very helpful has some validity. This is even truer on bigger aircraft - with Airbus you must get your head around 'ze philosophie', and the new Boeing way of doing things is a return to some nightmarish SOPs which I thought the industry had grown out of in the late 80s. :rolleyes:

The PA31 book, whilst it has its foibles, of course, rates as one of the better ones. :ok:

apruneuk
25th Oct 2007, 12:28
All the recommended power settings were printed on the sunvisor of the one I used to fly - might be worth having a look there...