PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew Selection

Cats Whiskers
28th Dec 2000, 17:56
Following an argument with my (male) First Officer last night, I'd like to pose the following question : How many airlines out there have cabin crew run by Ops (ie men) and how many by a dedicated Cabin Crew section (mainly women)? Does anyone think one method or the other is superior, or indeed produce a more (or less) attractive and professional standard of female cabin crew.

------------------
Every dog shall have his day, and every cat her night !

3000psi
29th Dec 2000, 01:29
Greetings CW !
My answer may a bit disapointing :......
But cabin crew and hiring run by poor background and ability staff....whos experience is that "very limited regional network"....like Brymon...not to name it !!!
those girls are juste covering theirs A... when hiring....making sure nobody's better !!! but 'don't worry Gill and some other are doing the same...!!!
Sorry CW ! Men and Women are equal.....!

Cart_tart
31st Dec 2000, 13:41
I work for a GA co that employs over 300 F/A's and there is only 1 male in those 300!
All the hiring is done by women!

ben5
3rd Jan 2001, 23:02
Hi CW, i'm with JMC, for years I tried to get into airlines and was refused, as usual the airlines hide behind their solicitors and legal beagles, not letting us know why we have failed. Simply fact, if your face doesn't fit you don't get the job! and all airline interviews I went to were hosted by women. Sometimes the best people for the Cabin crew positions of today are NOT the typical blonde bombshells. This is a practical job for practical people not would be models!

Yorkshire Pudding
4th Jan 2001, 19:31
I must say that i believe in a mixed enviroment - equal opportunities'n all.
Without contradicting myself there are some jobs that may not be suited to women eg:- Engineering. Mind you the money that the get paid would suit anyone.
In my airline there is a good mixture of sexs in every department. (Male,felmale and those in between!)

Come on guys move into the "naughties" (00's)

bums on seats
5th Jan 2001, 00:38
nice one, ben5!
As you quite rightly point out, the job should be offered to those most capable of doing it. Perhaps the days of the blonde bombshell in the tight-fitting pencil skirt and stilettos have finally come to an end.
Judging by the type of passengers we now carry; perhaps the qualifications for the job should be a successful past career in wrestling or substance abuse counselling.

By the way, has anyone here ever been interviewed by an attractive flight attendant?

What's in a name?
5th Jan 2001, 05:44
Cart_tart, do you actually work for an airline that has 300 cabin crew, 299 of which are female? I dind't know that sort of thing was legal anymore.

I am guessing that since you are based in Perth, your employer is an Australian registered company, and therefore would surely have to abide by certain legislation, such as EEO. Now, airlines may be able to hide behind their solicitors and the likes, but with a female participation rate of 99.67% (or there abouts), anyone can see that this one male cabin crew is simply a 'token', nothing more.

Although I am sure the one male cabin crew member is happy. Very happy probably! :), I feel sorry for any of the cabin crew at this airline- if this is how they recruit, what would they be like to work for?

Hasn't anyone complained about this fallacy?

Juliet November
5th Jan 2001, 10:48
What's in a name

Cart_tart states she's working for a GA company. As such, I would imagine it being some sort of biz-jet operation, and who flies around in biz-jets ? Biz-MEN of course, and what to biz-men want to see serving them drinks and stuff when they pay top-dollar for the pleasure ? A lady or gentlemen ?

Money talk, bs walk.

flapsforty
5th Jan 2001, 12:01
CW, our mob's selection is done by the company's P&O people together with those from our cabin crew department. (Male and Female) This produces anything from the not-very-bright to qualified MD's in the ranks.

What most of us have in common is a sense of humour, the willingness to treat pax like people instead of dumb cattle and a genuine interest in doing the best job possible under often trying circumstances.
We have straight & gay men and women, all skin colours found on the face of the earth, and it is a very workable and enoyable mix.
Looks? Mixed as well :)

Bums on seats, to further illustrate your point; my best FA friend is a qualified psychiatric nurse who works 50% in both jobs. A most exellent FA, tireless, ever unruffled and able to deal with anything seated in either cabin or cockpit :)
Seriously, more training in both self defense and psychiatry would be a very good thing IMHO.

BARRON SILAS GREENBACK
10th Jan 2001, 16:07
Cart-Tart,

Which GA Company? As I know one or two crewing people who would love to be the second man in a 300 women strong environment!!! Sounds perfect!

cabinboy
11th Jan 2001, 05:40
Cart_TART....I would be very interested to hear the 2 letter airline code of the airline you work for. From my understanding there is NO GA aviation company based in Perth that has 300 F/A's. To add to that there would be no way that an Australia GA co would have only 1 male f/a amongst them....so where exactly are you based !

------------------
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.