PDA

View Full Version : The correct Jumpseat request

Mister Geezer
28th Dec 2000, 19:18
Hi all.

Cabin Crew probably get asked this all the time however I was wondering what your views are on how YOU think Pax should request the jumpseat.

I fly light aircraft under my Private Pilot Licence at the moment and I intend to start my Commercial Pilot training in the next few months

What I have done recently is to hand in my Private Pilot Licence with a note (which is addressed to the Captain) and I ask as soon as I board for the items to be passed onto the Captain.

I often wonder if that is the correct thing to do. That method seems to work ok with the Flight Crew but I have often wondered if from a safety/security point of view, passing a note to the Cabin Crew as soon as you board is good practice?

On a number of occasions the steward/hostie that receives the PPL and the note often thumbs though my licence and pauses for a moment while I get the impression that he/she is 'looking down at me'. In one case the hostess stood there while she looked at the blank side of the piece of paper while I said 'It is just a note'. However in most cases they are very polite when they come back with it! The last thing I want to be is a nuisance to Cabin Crew and you always get the odd stare from fellow passengers while you are seen handing this brown book (licence) and this folded note to the Cabin Crew while the flight is boarding.

Recently I have also dropped a hint and told them that it is a 'Request for the jumpseat' just to avoid any immediate confusion.

Some Cabin Crew do not hesitate and open the door and pass it straight through, on the other hand I get looks from Cabin Crew and I feel uneasy about simply asking for a jumpseat ride.

I was wondering if there is a better way of going about a request for the jumpseat. When the passengers board, the Cabin Crew are very busy and in some circumstances I leave the request to another flight because I can see that they are rushed off their feet. The last thing I want to do is hold up Cabin Crew and disrupt them in any way over a simple jumpseat request!!!!

What are your views?

MG

------------------
It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers. Texas State Law

GalleyWench
29th Dec 2000, 02:14
MG, If you simply state that you wish to ride the jumpseat, why not ask if you may present your credentials to the cockpit yourself? If we are at the boarding door we generally do not have the ability to disappear into the cockpit for several minutes.(Someone has to be the carry-on bag Nazi after all.) Please remember that any US flag carrier does not permit 'civilian' jumpseaters like the European carriers do. If all else fails, a big box of sweets for the crew should grease the wheels!! :)

Mister Geezer
29th Dec 2000, 02:27
I am aware of the regs concerning US airlines however I was referring to UK airlines since that is who I fly with.

I read your point with interest, however would airlines be happy for a passenger to walk into the flight deck when there is a hive of activity with dispatchers, engineers and the like poping in and out every few minutes???

And that box of sweets, is that for the Flight Crew or the Cabin Crew or both??!! :)

Thanks for your reply

MG

------------------
It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers. Texas State Law

Next Generation PSR
29th Dec 2000, 02:37
I guess the best way to gain a jumpseat ride is to firstly to ask the cabin crew for a flight deck visit, showing your licence to us as cabin crew will show that you have a bonafide interest. It's always possible someone else has asked beforehand to visit the flight deck such as a family with children, also flying time and training requirements up front my also have a bearing on your request. Asking us to pass in your documentation would probably do your case little good and may be considered by some flight deck crew as presumptious.

I think it is probably better that you are introduced by the cabin crew along with your credentials, as I think it is probably a more subtle and politer approach. I have to say I have had both people with PPLs and Air Traffic Control officers making themselves a right royal pain in the butt once they think they have waited 'long enough' for the priviledge. I am not 'taring you with the same brush' as I have obviously not met you.
Most times we have to fit visits in with the cabin service and also the flight deck crew eating.

Once on the flight deck you can present your credentials personally and build up a nice rapport with the guys/ladies at the sharp end. Who knows if you show interest and politeness they may invite you to stay for landing, but this must be their offer and not your request I would think as it may put both you and them in a potentially embarassing situation.

Good luck with both your jumpseat rides and your career

Fraudsquad
29th Dec 2000, 03:27
NG PSR - I never fail to enjoy reading your posts. As you're name suggests, you must be a pleasure to work with and even better from a pax point of view.

Mister - I've not technically had JS rides in the past however I've never been refused visits. I've not requested a JS for t/o or landing. If things are quiet on the flight I often spent an hour or more on deck chatting with the crew about the route, weather, ATC etc. Just remember to keep quiet when ATC are on the RT....

[This message has been edited by Fraudsquad (edited 28 December 2000).]

Mister Geezer
29th Dec 2000, 03:29
Thanks for your reply.

However I have found that asking to go up during the cruise on short sectors (1hr) on a B737/B757 size of aircraft can often not work out by the time meals have been dished out and collected and the bar has gone through, since the Flight/Cabin crew are busy during the early stages of the descent when everything has been cleared away. Any tips on being passenger and Cabin Crew friendly when you board or is that not a good idea from the start???

Regards

MG

------------------

Fraudsquad
29th Dec 2000, 03:42
MG - If your on a short sector, you can but ask. Tell them you're very keen to spend some time up front, then by all means take your PPL and if you're in the door and they're happy ask if it would be possible to stay for landing.

If they say no, better luck next time. Another thing that might help is if you get to the boarding gate asap.

GalleyWench
29th Dec 2000, 04:45
MG, One other avenue you may wish to explore is enquiring at the gate. I know that LH for one has some type of jumpseat request form that you fill out at the gate and I beleive is submitted to the cockpit. I myself have had to utilize this when the loads are bad and I am trying to get to work! They are one airline that is wonderful about filling their jumpseats with warm bodies! And if you are on my flight, scratch the chocolates, a pack of crisps will work wonders!

tunneler
29th Dec 2000, 22:19
The way I usually do it is....

1 - if possible get a seat as close to the front as possible (a lot easier on BA eticket flights :) )

2 - Try to be one of the first on the aircraft (ie as soon as its called get in there)

3 - Make eye contact and SMILE at the crew (regardless of sex) then ask them if you can bother them for a second.

4 - say you're a ppl (wannabe) whatever and ask if it would be at all possible for a jumpseat........

5 - pray. pray a lot

Hope this helps

B

Mister Geezer
31st Dec 2000, 03:31
Thanks for all your suggestions!

After the recent incident on the BA 747-400 I thought that the topic might be a bit more topical than before.

Regards

MG

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mister Geezer (edited 30 December 2000).]

Evacu8
31st Dec 2000, 06:34
I think it would be much easier to approach ground staff if you want to ride up there for the whole flight ( they can organise it through the captain before boarding).

We are generally very busy during boarding, (greeting, bags, juices, cabin security, cooking etc) - even busier on short sectors - and there will be times when we dont have the time to organise the request.

I think it would be easier to request a visit to the flight deck during flight and then directly request the jump for landing to the techies when you go for a visit.

I think you will also find that jump seat rides/visits for persons who are not employees/ family of the tech crew, will not be allowed in the near future. It is a potential security risk - and all airlines are tightening their security !!

ohtofly
2nd Jan 2001, 16:16
I generally hand in a note to the greeting attendant (is that the right word) as I board. It states my interest in aviation and my current position as far as my training is concerened and list my seat number. I make sure that the letter says that I would appreciate it should they be able.

Once the note has been handed to the attendant I make my way to my seat and sit as normal. I then tend to get an answer as soon as all the passengers are boarded and seated. It is always followed by an explanation if there is a rejection or an request to follow the attendant up to the cockpit.

If it is a rejection I thank the attendant and ask her to thank the captain and it its an acceptance I thank the attendant on the way up the aisle and take my log book with me.

I would like to thank all the pilots who have given me jump seats for take offs, landings and whole flights it really is an honour to join you and thanks to the attendants for helping me get up there in the first place.

I realy do hope events like the recent inccident dont result in a ban on flight deck visits

ben5
3rd Jan 2001, 22:53
As a purser, I don't need to see your licence or requrie a note. Simply, see the purser, flight director, or whatever they call themselves and ask them to speak to the Captain and tell them you are a pilot. It is then at the Captain's discretion. Very few Captains will refuse!

airforcenone
10th Jan 2001, 02:50
After the recent well publicised incident on a 747 and Channel Four's input before that, we (flight crew) are a little reluctant to allow non airline staff in before take-off. However, once we're in the cruise and we're not so busy, all you have to do is ask. Once we've met you and come to our own conclusions as to whether you have a camcorder secreted on your person or whether you're suffering from exam stress (!), then it's up to the guys (or girls) at the front as to whether you can stay up for the landing. If you don't ask .... All the best!

PS: As someone mentioned, regs may be changing soon!

[This message has been edited by airforcenone (edited 09 January 2001).]