PDA

View Full Version : Politically Correct Name for this Forum Needed

Whatsamatayou?
21st Dec 2000, 16:52
The name "Cabin Crew" is as outdated now as "Stewardess" or "Hostess" or "Steward"

The politically correct name is Flight Attendant.

The main reason for the name change comes from CRM. Cabin Crew indicates that these staff only work in the Cabin when we all know this is untrue, e.g. Crew incapacitation drills etc.

What are your opinions on this?

I raised this point at the Planetalk7.com site some time back and the FA's and pilots there generally agree.

IFS to Flight Deck
21st Dec 2000, 17:28
Lets stick with "Cabin Crew" we generally are responsible for the Cabin and we are part of the crew. Same as Flight Crew.
The word "attendant" does not even enter into it as it detracts from our primary role SAFETY!

SixDemonBag
21st Dec 2000, 17:30
Your kidding right?...

...is it just me or are other people getting really p*ssed-off with the extent to where political correctness has gone? Just get over it mate.

flyblue
21st Dec 2000, 17:36
My vote is for Flight Attendant. I find CA very restrictive.

Next Generation PSR
21st Dec 2000, 20:04
Not so much in the vein of political correctness, just that flight attendant is more internationally recognised and more descriptive as apart from flying the things (thanks sharp end ladies and gents) we just about 'attend' to b****y anything and everything on a flight!

Happy Christmas everyone, including the lovely Xenia.

Happiness is flying the UKs most modern fleet of aircraft. (ie 737-800s) :)

Xenia
21st Dec 2000, 20:14
I strongly believe Fligh Attendant is the American version of Cabin Crew...
But because we are in England and everything has to be different (drive in the other side, hot&cold water taps inverted from rest of the world...as also the way doors open and close...Also your alarm here "goes off" ... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif and the local fashion is to wear sandals also during winter.... :)
So I believe I rather stick to the British "Cabin Crew" as yes, our main related duties are in the cabin and we are all member of the crew.
Don't get me wrong!! I love being here http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif and for me this is home now.. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Xenia (edited 21 December 2000).]

Tarantella
22nd Dec 2000, 10:22
I think the phrase Cabin Crew admirably describes who we are as a group.
We are members of the crew of the aircraft and our primary area of work is in the cabin area. The escape devices we are trained in, our emergency equipment and most of the people we are responsible for, are all situated in the cabin.
It is a succinct phrase: I am a flight attendant and a member of the cabin crew.

Birds2perches
22nd Dec 2000, 20:38
I believe Cabin Crew is a more accurate description as well. F/A is, as mentioned above, very American. Cabin Crew has more of a 'team' ring to it.
:)

HugMonster
22nd Dec 2000, 21:39
I agree with most of the above. Just as the duties of "Cabin Crew" are not only in the cabin, the duties of "Flight Crew" are carried out not only on the flight deck.

"Flight Attendant" to me sounds like a waitress. As such, I dislike it. The job of cabin crew, as we all know, is, first and foremost, safety. (That includes, of course, ensuring at regular intervals that the flight crew are not getting dehydrated, hungry, lonely, etc. :)) I make a practice, when introducing the cabin crew to the SLF in my boarding PA, of saying something like "In the cabin, looking after your safety, are Doris and Ethel...." just so they might be slightly more likely to realise that the CC's job is not, primarily, serving meals and drinks.

Fa - hmmmm. Very American. Sounds like those girls in short skirts on rollerskates at a drive-in diner. However, I can't at the moment think of a better one, and therefore I agree with Tarantella's assertion - she is a Flight Attendant, and a member of the Cabin Crew.

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Evacu8
23rd Dec 2000, 01:20
Flight Attendant, Air Hostess, Steward, Trolley-Dolly, Galley-Rat, Cabin Crew, 'Hey-You !!' ..... I'll answer to all of 'em !!

I really fail to see the importance of what we call ourselves and what the cutomers call us !!

My job description is for "Flight Attendant - Long Haul" So I spose that's what I am!! ;)

Political correctness was a thing of the 80's & early 90's, I dont think it really is that relevant today.... society has lightened up a bit (thank god !!!!).

rolandpull
23rd Dec 2000, 02:35
Howzabout 'soup dragons'?

Fast Jet Wannabe
23rd Dec 2000, 04:58
Doris and Ethel?!?!?!?

It sounds as though you fly for BA!

HugMonster
23rd Dec 2000, 14:23
Just names...

Prefer "Sharon and Tracey"? Or "Phoebe and Olivia"?

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

flapsforty
23rd Dec 2000, 18:18
As opinion was asked for:

I really do not care what this forum is called as long as I can recognize it for what it is.
Honestly............ :rolleyes:

------------------
A Singularly Simple Person........

latin sky
23rd Dec 2000, 22:32
Well, Cabin Crew is still good for me....
Completly agree with you Tarantella.

------------------
"Cabin Crew does it better"

Carnage Matey!
24th Dec 2000, 04:32
Fanny forum?

Birds bulletin board?

Chick chat?

Totty talk?

HugMonster
24th Dec 2000, 15:20
Trolley Dolly Folly?
Cart Tart Mart? :)

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 24 December 2000).]

Skippy in Wonderland
26th Dec 2000, 16:06
Is it really that important!!!
I agree with tarantula f/a, member of the cabin crew.
I also rather fancy Jet Hostess (60's 707's!)
This is a great job, since I've been flying I have had so many great laughs. Particularly biz-pax who take themselves so seriously and don't pack manners in their carry-on load, and the upgrades that pretend to be soooo flash! I think sometimes we need to laugh at ourselves too and enjoy the skies!
Happy Holidays

------------------
Hosties, Please take your seats for blast off!

pied piper
26th Dec 2000, 21:08
So would the line read
"Flight Attendants, doors to manual"
??

Sweet FA
27th Dec 2000, 10:39
Flight Attendant or Cabin Crew???

I'm not worried what country thought of the name, so what if it is American or British or whatever.

This is more to do with what the name implies, cabin crew is restricted to the cabin? I hope not and i hope the newer less experienced crew don't think that. Pilots, Engineers are not names that suggest in anyway that they are only in the cockpit.

I think Flight Attendant is more appropriate as is Cabin Crew provided the person being called that realises that his/her job encompasses the cockpit.

Sweet FA.......out

cabinboy
27th Dec 2000, 15:19
I think it can be summed up by the saying...... " You say to-ma-to and we say too-may-to " everyone has their own idea....get the drift ? :)

------------------
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.

[This message has been edited by cabinboy (edited 27 December 2000).]

DirtyDawg
27th Dec 2000, 16:01
Good one Cabin boy, you must have thought long and hard about that one.

Woof Woof WOof

Slasher
1st Jan 2001, 02:31
This has to be a wind-up isnt it? No one on there right mind comes in here and spouts all that bloodey "PC" crap?

Well if it isnt a wind-up, then FYI Whatsawotnot in the country where I work the cabin-crew girls are still officialy called stewardesses and I wouldnt have it any other way. Gives the job-name a bit of panache.

Thank christ there are some places in the world these bloodey PC lunatics cant get at.

Former_SLUF_Driver
1st Jan 2001, 11:59
pied piper

I would fancy the, "Hey You! Side doors to manual.."

SLUF

onetogo
3rd Jan 2001, 04:50
As a CSD, I personally answer to "Bitch Troll from Hell" and I have the badge to prove it!!!
I also ensure that my minions bow to me whenever I pass (very quickly and not in W/T if I can help it)
Get a life, guys, it is only a job, and a fun one at that if you'll let it!
Yes we are there primarely for safety, but also to try and make it a GREAT trip for all, crew included.
So enjoy, trolley dolley, air hostesses, stewards,flight b... attendants et all!

ben5
3rd Jan 2001, 23:21
We need to find a job title which is suited to the cabin crew of today, wanna be models have had their day. In 2001 we need something to cover all these duites:
engineer
chef
nurse (general and pysciatic)
councillor
Cleaner
Barman
Bouncer
punch bag
& self loading freight assistants

lets try "cabin crew" with a notice on our badge "if assholes could fly, this place would be an airport, oops it is!!!!"

maybe the punters might take a bit of notice

Peter L
4th Jan 2001, 22:36
Don't be sad,
I mean who cares really what they call us??? The pilots are called over paid bus drivers etc and you don't see them too worried.
Get down to the pub or what ever and enjoy it all.
Remember the PAX's are mostly twits with no maners anyway.

PS Anyone want a wee drink??

flapsforty
5th Jan 2001, 12:11
Peter L, hope you're a wind-up merchant!

In case you're not; while some pax are dumb and ill-mannered (like some FA's) pax in general tend to respond in the same way they are being treated by cabin crew.

Ever thought of changing your approach to the job?

------------------
A Singularly Simple Person........

Articsheep
7th Jan 2001, 03:03
Hello everyone!
Well... to decide using either F/A or C/C is tricky and time consuming. In reality, some paxs don't care about your name and they prefer snap on your "body" instead. Honestly, I believe most of the paxs would give you the good title to live up to if they have been treated with respect. Besides, the most important thing is to pay attention to the Captain announcements, "CABIN CREW pls be seated for T/O /landing", and remember to do so.

------------------
HAVE A NICE FLIGHT... :)