PDA

View Full Version : SSTR and jobs

gunit
23rd Oct 2007, 19:30
SSTR and Jobs

Hi all I was just wondering, the guys who have done a type rating on an
A320, or B737 or anything else for that matter. Have you gone into a job? How long have you waited?
Would you do it again?
What type?
thanks in advance:)

LOOKUP
23rd Oct 2007, 22:55
1. Yes Id do it again only because it has proven to be the right decision
2. B737
Goodluck . . :-)

avrodamo
24th Oct 2007, 13:32
Typed on B737
Waited 6 months to get a job.
Did it 18 months ago, and at that time yes i made the right decision. Now....well everyone seems to be doing SSTR which dilutes it quite a bit, so probably not now

Finals19
24th Oct 2007, 13:38
Also bear in mind that there is more to the recruitment process then just showing up with your SSTR. Some other (rather pertinent and more traditional factors) might include your personality type, your ability to teamwork and interact, your approach to CRM, your experience to date, your suitability to "fit" into the company culture etc etc...

Its the whole package that counts, so work on everything, don't just bank on a RHS position because you have a piece of paper say "737 TR'd" (not that I am saying you are necessarily doing this)

avrodamo
24th Oct 2007, 16:22
Finals19....i quite agree. Doing the SSTR does not mean you can fly in the airline environment. It is so so much more. I know 2 guys who just could not get through line training and got 'chopped'. Of course you build experience as you progress as a pilot, but there has to be a bench mark from which you start, and that is combining everything, not just you abillity to fly an aircraft single engine, which to be honest is all a type rating clears you to do. The line training is where you learn to fly and manage the flight. There is a whole world of difference!

Finals19
25th Oct 2007, 08:46
Avrodamo...

Exactly right my friend. Its a little worrying the way sooo many newly qualified pilots look at the bare techical side of getting qualified without considering the wider implications...the "soft" skills as well as the hard skills.

In my past life I worked for a major airline in a slightly different capacity to Flight Crew, and had some close contacts in HR. It gave me a really good insight into the qualities this company looked for in employees. You'd be amazed at the importance that was placed on interpersonal / human skills. It was almost a given (almost!) that you had the blue book and the TR (or not) and you could fly a plane.

Its only when you go to ATPL ground school and take a look at some (by no means all) people around you and think...ummm...oh dear...!

gunit
29th Oct 2007, 13:39
I was expecting a much better reply come on guys and girls!

no sponsor
29th Oct 2007, 15:39
To be honest, I think you are about 24 months too late to expect a TR to get you a job. 12-18 months ago the big deal was a TR + 100hrs on type. Today, even a TR with 500 hrs on type might get you something in Middle East or Asia, or BA, but you'd probably want a A320 TR, not a Boeing.

Now, in the UK, the recruitment onto jets has dried up somewhat. With Easyjet staffed with 130 too many F/Os for the winter, and the merger of other airlines, there are not the positions available to warrant the gamble. Last year, EZY were sending 20 people every 14 days to get a TR from CTC. This year will be completely different, as I'm sure CTC are finding out.

If I did a TR today, I'd get one on a A320. All I seem to see these days are A320 family jets from the window of my B733.