PDA

View Full Version : 24 years old ¿Too old to start?

my_old_dream
23rd Oct 2007, 13:59
Hi, i´m 24 years old and i´m starting to fly (as a hobby) with small machines like a Cessna 150.

My question is: Is it too late for me to start studying to be a professional pilot and work in an airline in the future?

My dream is to fly a big machine like a Boeing or an Airbus 320. And the best way to do it is working as a pilot since i´m not rich enough to do it as a hobby (I´m not John Travolta). :)

Tell me if it´s too late or not.

Thanks

JB LFPN FLYER
23rd Oct 2007, 14:04
Hello ,

I have many of my friends who are 24/25 and just starting the CPL IR training after completing the Frozen ATPL , one of them just got hired by an airline ( Air France cadet ) . So you're far away from being to old , as some other friends start CPL training at 28 .

If you have the motivation , everything should be all right :)

regards

JBB

Deano777
23rd Oct 2007, 14:49
my_old_dream

You're havin a larf aren't you? too old at 24? swap places ;)

If it's any consolation to you I started professional flight training at the age of 31, landed my first airline job aged 34

Good luck

apruneuk
23rd Oct 2007, 17:07
I got my first commercial job at age 44 and didn't have to pay for the rating either. There's so much rubbish talked about age on this site.

Sky Wave
23rd Oct 2007, 17:25
24!!!! You're just a nipper.

I started flying when I was 27 (at EGHI as it happens). Initially it was just as a hobby but I always had the idea of commercial flying in the back of my mind. I made the decision to go for it when I was 28 years old. I'm now 32 and I've been flying 737's for 9 months now.

I also know of a 737 pilot that didn't start training until she was in her 40's so you really have nothing to worry about.

SW

maxdrypower
23rd Oct 2007, 17:37
failing that read the sticky at the top
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51690

julian_storey
23rd Oct 2007, 18:16
I'll add to that.

I'm 35 years old, went for a career change and I've recently got my first jet job on a Lear 45.

At 24 you are definitely not too old! :=

my_old_dream
23rd Oct 2007, 19:57
Thanks to all of you for the answers.

I live in Uruguay, and i´m planning to start learning as soon as possible in this school, to be a private pilot:

http://www.aerotecno.com/home.html

After that I will see what to do.

ANY ADVICES will be welcome.

Here is some info from the school. Please tell me what do you think about it. ANYTHING that comes to your minds can be useful for me.

Is Aerofan in Spain a known-recommendable place or not?

I have the EU citizenship which allows me to legally work and live in Europe and United States, so I can practically look for a job all over the world.

Thanks again.

-------

Obtain your license JAR-CPL (A), at a very inferior cost to what would cost you an Integrated Course is possible.!!!
AEROTECNO of Uruguay in coordination with AEROFAN (http://www.aerofanfto.com/) of Spain offers you that alternative.

LICENSE JAR-CPL (A) (SE+ME+IR+MCC) theoretical PTLA + 225 hrs.: € 31.000.-
LICENSE JAR-CPL (A) (SE+ME+IR+MCC) theoretical PTLA + 450 hrs.: € 47.000.-

SE: Single-Engine / ME: Multiengine / IR: Instruments Rating /
MCC: Multi-crew Coordination / PTLA: Theoretical Title Airline Transport Pilot.

According to the norms JAR-FCL 1.160 and 1.165 (a)(4) (annex 1), is possible that a Private Pilot with OACI license, having a minimum of 150 hours, can carry out in a F.T.O. the Modular Course CPL(A), to obtain JAR Commercial Pilot License (Airplane).

The course consists of 2 phases:
Uruguay Phase: We form you like Private Pilot (OACI), with Instruments Rating, Simulator, Courses of Air Picture, Low Flight, Short / Soft Field Operation, Launching of Parachutists, a solid theoretical base, plus the hours that you want with a minimum of 150, in a term from 5 to 6 months.
Spain Phase:You conclude your career in a FTO, carrying out a minimum of 75 hours, where they will prepare you to present you to the theoretical tests, to qualify you in SE, ME, IR, MCC, and obtain your JAR-CPL(A), in a term among 8 to 10 months.

--------------

nickyjsmith
23rd Oct 2007, 20:33
As long as you have the ability, its more about who you are than how old you are.

Good luck and all the best!

Adios
23rd Oct 2007, 23:02
You're not old enough to have an Old Dream and barely old enough to have a wet one! You don't need to break a sweat over this issue for at least 10 years and many have done it later than that as a few have already attested.

my_old_dream
23rd Oct 2007, 23:22
Thanks to all of you for the answers. The thread is plenty of good news!!

I´m starting as soon as possible to get my private pilot license.

After that I´ll see which is the best way to get pro. Maybe studying in Europe?

I live in Uruguay and the school i´m going possesses coordination with Aerofan in Spain.

I have EU citizenship, which allows me to live and work in Europe and USA. I hope being able to work anywhere makes an advantage for me, I don´t mind to live in any country as long as I can fly.

Do you think it´s possible in Europe or USA to work and afford the cost of the course, or the time expended on the learning makes it impossible to work at the same time?

Any advices will be welcome. All opinions can be useful for me.

Here is some info from the school. What do you think about it?

-------------

Obtain your license JAR-CPL (A), at a very inferior cost to what would cost
you an Integrated Course is possible.

AEROTECNO of Uruguay in coordination with AEROFAN of Spain offers you that alternative.

LICENSE JAR-CPL (A) (SE+ME+IR+MCC) THEORETICAL PTLA + 225 fligh hours: € 31.000.-

LICENSE JAR-CPL (A) (SE+ME+IR+MCC) THEORETICAL PTLA + 450 : € 47.000.-

SE: Single-Engine / ME: Multiengine / IR: Instruments Rating /
MCC: Multi-crew Coordination / PTLA: Theoretical Title Airline Transport Pilot.

According to the norms JAR-FCL 1.160 and 1.165 (a)(4) (annex 1), is possible that a Private Pilot with OACI license, having a minimum of 150 hours, can carry out in a F.T.O. the Modular Course CPL(A), to obtain JAR Commercial Pilot License (Airplane).

The course consists of 2 phases:

Uruguay Phase: We form you like Private Pilot (OACI), with Instruments Rating, Simulator, Courses of Air Picture, Low Flight, Short / Soft Field Operation, Launching of Parachutists, a solid theoretical base, plus the hours that you want with a minimum of 150, in a term from 5 to 6 months.

Spain Phase: You conclude your career in a FTO, carrying out a minimum of 75 hours, where they will prepare you to present you to the theoretical tests, to qualify you in SE, ME, IR, MCC, and obtain your JAR-CPL(A), in a term among 8 to 10 months.

AEROTECNO possesses an appropriate infrastructure for the aeronautical formation, imparting courses at the present time of Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Instruments Flight, Multiengine and Agricultural Pilot according to the normative OACI, having diverse airships according to the necessities and with instructors with JAA/OACI formation and licenses.

100 hours package: ------ Euros:

CESSNA 310 ---------------20.000.-
BEECH B-35 ----------------9.500.-
CESSNA 182 ----------------9.200.-
CESSNA 172 ----------------7.500.-
CESSNA 150 ----------------4.500.-
PA-18 (Tailwheel) -----------5.850.-
CESSNA 170 (Tailwheel) -----6.450.-

Air-Borne
24th Oct 2007, 08:27
that's good info...

myself in a situation like that.. :)

my_old_dream
25th Oct 2007, 11:32
that's good info... Yes, I read in a magazine that a lot of wannabe pilots are coming to Uruguay from Europe (mostly Spain) because they find it cheaper to fly, so finally they save like 20.000 euros. After that, they come back to Spain to finish the career with a lot more of flight hours.

I don´t know if the flying hour is really that cheap in Uruguay compared with other places, but that´s what I read.

Tahir
12th Nov 2007, 12:37
Hi,you r not too late.My cousin age was 29 when he started his training And now he is a F/O in age of 34.

PPRuNe Towers
12th Nov 2007, 13:07
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51690&page=39