PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Makes $400m Bombardier Order

Hugh Jarse
22nd Oct 2007, 19:06
From Steve Creedy, The Australian:

QANTAS is turning up the heat on Virgin Blue's regional strategy with a $400 million order for another 12 Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft capable of competing against the smaller airline's new Embraer jets.

The flying kangaroo also signalled its intention to protect its regional franchise by taking options and purchase rights on another 24 Q400s.
The new 72-seat planes are in addition to seven Q400s already delivered and two more about to join the group.

Qantas chief executive officer Geoff Dixon said the order was a clear indication of the Qantas Group's commitment to regional air services.
"These aircraft will be used to increase capacity and service frequency on key regional routes, as well as pursue new growth opportunities," Mr Dixon said.

The airline will take delivery of the new aircraft between July and June 2010, and it estimates that annual growth at QantasLink over that period will be about 19 per cent.

The new aircraft will also allow QantasLink to retire its older 36-seat Dash 8-100 series aircraft by early 2010.

The more modern 36-seat Dash 8-200s will remain in the fleet to service markets such as Lord Howe Island, which require that size of plane.
Qantas executive general manager regional airlines Narendra Kumar said the new aircraft would help the regional offshoot meet its growth requirements and aimed to build on the success of its existing 72-seaters.
"As you know, having seven or nine aircraft is not optimal and we want to build on that," he said.

"This will give us increased efficiencies and our flights, especially at the sector length that we operate on, lend themselves quite well to the turboprop aircraft."

Mr Narendra said the Q400 purchase continued a strategy that had seen QantasLink grow from 36-seat to 50-seat and then 72-seat aircraft.
However, he emphasised that the bigger planes would not mean a cut in frequencies.

"We want to maintain a high frequency schedule but also ... we are growing the capacity in line with market requirements and our expectations for future growth as well," he said.

Qantas also says the addition of the newer, bigger capacity planes will make QantasLink more environmentally friendly.
The airline argues that the turboprops are more fuel efficient and quieter than their small jet competitors.

However, Virgin believes consumers will still prefer its comfortable E-jets.
"We are looking forward to launching our first commercial E-jet flight tomorrow and are confident that travellers will enjoy our sleek jet aircraft alternative to the turboprop option currently on offer in a number of destinations," spokeswoman Amanda Bolger said.
"We believe the E-jet is the ideal aircraft for Australia and some key regional and high frequency routes."

Virgin Blue also yesterday launched a revamped website to make it easier to book flights and find information.

Torres
22nd Oct 2007, 20:48
Media Release

SYDNEY, 22 October 2007: Qantas said today that it would purchase 12 additional Bombardier 72-seat Q400 aircraft for QantasLink. The airline will also take options and purchase rights for another 24 Q400s.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the aircraft, to be delivered from June 2008, would boost the QantasLink Q400 fleet to 21 aircraft.

Mr Dixon said this $400 million investment, following QantasLink’s $200 million investment in the first seven Q400s delivered in 2006, was a clear indication of the Qantas Group's ongoing commitment to regional air services in Australia.

“These aircraft will be used to increase capacity and service frequency on key regional routes, as well as pursue new growth opportunities.

“The Q400, which offers jet-like speed, improved passenger comfort and lower operating costs is central to QantasLink’s growth strategy.

“It carries 72 passengers, can service most ports and is more environmentally friendly than alternative jet aircraft.”

Mr Dixon said the new aircraft would enable the retirement of all QantasLink 36-seat Dash 8-100 series aircraft by early 2010.

“Capacity growth for QantasLink over the period July 2008 to June 2010 will be around 19 per cent per annum.”

Mr Dixon said QantasLink and Bombardier planned to finalise contracts for the increased order by the end of this month.

QantasLink currently operates around 2,000 flights each week, serving 50 metropolitan and regional destinations throughout Australia with a fleet of 49 aircraft. The Q400 aircraft primarily operate services on QantasLink’s Queensland and ACT network at this stage.

Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (Q3672)
Media Enquiries: Holly Williams: 02 9691 4200

------------------------------------------

There can't be many/any DHC-8-100s left? Are the Series 200's going?

Hugh Jarse
22nd Oct 2007, 20:55
Gidday Torres,

There are still a few 100's in NSW/VIC but I'm unsure of QLD (I think maybe 1). Several 200's would still be required for Lord Howe ops.

Kiwiconehead
22nd Oct 2007, 21:58
There can't be many/any DHC-8-100s left? Are the Series 200's going?

Torres - 9 100 series left in the EAA fleet, 1 in SSA

The 200s will be needed for Mt Hotham as well won't they Jarse?

pump up
23rd Oct 2007, 10:41
Jet- like speeds?
I didn't know they cruise around at Mach .8
As for comfort, I believe the E-Jet has the best seats in the business.

Keg
23rd Oct 2007, 12:24
I seem to recall figures in Aus Aviation from a couple of years back that suggest the Q400 is only five minutes slower on a SYD-Ballina type of route?!?! For SYD-CBR the Q400 may actually be a bit quicker. The E will have to go from full length 34R @ SYD to depart to CBR. The Q400 will be able to take an intersection and that means calling 'ready' well before the E. That means that the sector length SYD-CBR will likely be slightly faster on the Q400.

Erin Brockovich
23rd Oct 2007, 12:30
But the Q400s will be quieter and smoother; as they will be parked up against the fence (unless the earth shakes from an MPL crewed jet spearing in nearby). As for speeds, they will move through space at the same speed that the earth spins.

Boomerang
23rd Oct 2007, 21:17
Good news for the guys at EAA!

As far as a pilot shortage goes... yeah right! If only QF got serious and offered progression for the regionals, many of us would not have walked out the door. Lets see, carreer in QLink where you were only ever going to fly a Dash for lets say $100K, or the opportunity to progress after a 5 year freeze to FO or SO if you so desired on 767 or 737...

Qantas should allocate new guys a mainline number and sort out similar progression for the guys in QLink now. It's not going to get any better till they do.

Over and gout
26th Nov 2007, 02:03
I just think its incredible how these companies can just pluck $400 million out of thin air....

Lodown
26th Nov 2007, 02:58
And that means another batch of Rex pilots will depart for greener pastures...

neville_nobody
26th Nov 2007, 03:07
I just think its incredible how these companies can just pluck $400 million out of thin air....

Amazing what you can find when you're under some commercial pressure

vanderaj
26th Nov 2007, 03:27

PAX POV:

I fly in this a/c type regularly from BWI to Memphis, and I can tell you it's probably the most uncomfortable plane I've ever had the displeasure of being sardined into, and I include a few ultralights I've flown in that list.

The windows are unnaturally low, so you always have to crane your neck into your tummy to see out, and the bulkhead walls are paper thin. If you're in an A or C seat, you're in for a treat - it's really quite cold. I love cold, but not *that* cold.

The seats on Northwest and Continental seem to be the same - very thin padding, with a close pitch. There's little cabin storage, so travel VERY light. I have had to hold my laptop between my legs more than once when they took my laptop bag away from me.

The -8 is way more comfortable. I enjoy the larger windows and the unobstructed view on the -8, too. I don't mind the slightly longer flights as it's fun to watch a turbo prop fire up - something you don't see every day. The -8 is a bit noiser inside though, and deplaning is nasty at most airports as you have to go out in the weather instead of using a aerobridge like the small jets usually have.

I've more than once given up my seat on overbooked flights ($100 coupons yay!) if I found out the next flight is serviced by a 737 or 757. I'd prefer to wait a couple of hours than be an any regional jet.

I hope VB has better seats than the standard jobbies.

thanks,
Andrew

Dragun
26th Nov 2007, 04:56
As far as a pilot shortage goes... yeah right! If only QF got serious and offered progression for the regionals, many of us would not have walked out the door. Lets see, carreer in QLink where you were only ever going to fly a Dash for lets say $100K, or the opportunity to progress after a 5 year freeze to FO or SO if you so desired on 767 or 737...

Qantas should allocate new guys a mainline number and sort out similar progression for the guys in QLink now. It's not going to get any better till they do.

Are you reading this Narendra? Mark? What's the hold up?

sinala1
26th Nov 2007, 05:36
The windows are unnaturally low, so you always have to crane your neck into your tummy to see out, and the bulkhead walls are paper thin. If you're in an A or C seat, you're in for a treat - it's really quite cold. I love cold, but not *that* cold.
Sounds like you may be talking about the E145 perhaps? On the E170's that VB have, windows are higher and larger than the B737, the seats are wider, the aisle is wider, and in general ALL pax have more room.... The cabin crew also have direct control over the cabin temp (2 zones - front cabin and rear cabin) so any temp concerns the Cabin Crew can immediately fix for you without having to annoy the flight crew :}

http://www.virginblue.com.au/Personal/Services/Seating/index.htm

B737-800
180 economy seats / 30 rows / 6 seats per row
3 toilets (1 front / 2 rear)
8 exits (2 front / 4 overwing / 2 rear)
seat width: Approx 17 inches (43 cms)
seat pitch: 31-33 inches for standard rows; 38-39 inches for exit row

B737-700
144 economy seats / 24 rows / 6 seats per row
3 toilets (1 front / 2 rear)
6 exits (2 front / 2 overwing / 2 rear)
seat width: Approx 17 inches (43 cms)
seat pitch: 30-31 inches for standard rows; 38-39 inches for exit rows

EMBRAER 170
78 economy seats / 20 rows / 4 seats per row
2 toilets (1 front / 1 rear)
4 exits (2 front / 2 rear)
seat width: Approx 18.25 inches (46 cms)
seat pitch: 30-33 inches for standard rows

EMBRAER 190
104 economy seats / 26 rows / 4 seats per row
2 toilets (1 front / 1 rear)
6 exits (2 front / 2 overwing / 2 rear)
seat width: Approx 18.25 inches (46 cms)
seat pitch: 31- 34 inches for standard rows; 39-40 inches for exit rows

:ok:

alangirvan
26th Nov 2007, 21:03
Quote:
PAX POV:

I fly in this a/c type regularly from BWI to Memphis, and I can tell you it's probably the most uncomfortable plane I've ever had the displeasure of being sardined into, and I include a few ultralights I've flown in that list.

Pardon me, but are you sure you were flying in an E-Jet - even the E-145? I had a quick look at the schedules for BWI-MEM operated by NW, and the listing shows the flights are in CRJs - built by the opposition at Bombardier. This is like blaming Ford because you didn't like a Holden.

The E-145s have three seats across, the CRJs have four seats across, and I think the E-145s are a bit more comfortable.

The bigger C-Jets are the same width, whether they have 70 86 or 98 seats ( in the new CRJ-1000), whereas the ERJ-170/190s have nothing in common with the E-145