PDA

View Full Version : Hearing & Blood Pressure question

covec
22nd Oct 2007, 17:13
Just had a military aircrew medical.

BP 143/80 (normally I am about 120 to 130/80: I am 45). Is this OK for retaining my Class 1?

My hearing has deteriorated from 105 to 45 across the HF & LF values - I cannot remember which one returned the 105. Puts me in the RAF's H2 bracket.

Question is: am I OK for Class 1 as I am a part time FI (with current Class 1)at present who is hoping to leave the Forces for airline work?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Thylakoid
22nd Oct 2007, 17:46
I am not a doctor, but I take pills to control my blood pressure and keep my Class I.

The reading you got is borderline; however, before doctors diagnose you as being hypertense, they must check your blood pressure over a period of time. One reading is not enough, because you could be suffering from what they call "the white coat syndrome," i.e., your BP goes up at the medical office and it is a quite normal event.

You would have to check with your local medical examiner to know the limits for Class one.

Here in the UAE, they use an upper limit of 135/85.

All the best

Knoxy777
22nd Oct 2007, 19:00
Quoting JAR FCL part 3..

"When the blood pressure at examination
consistently exceeds 160 mmHg systolic and/or
95 mmHg diastolic, with or without treatment, the
applicant shall be assessed as unfit."

I take medication for high BP myself and as long as it stays below 160/95 then there are no probs. I was having about 165/90 until I started medication, but now is around 145/80.

The hearing standards are given in the link below
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=533

covec
23rd Oct 2007, 23:09
Thanks guys - the BP is good news but the hearing is not.

Cheers

nurjio
27th Oct 2007, 16:30
....Pardon?....

rumki8
7th Nov 2007, 08:56
Hi dear friends, I am 33 weeks pregnant and have a history of high blood pressure. My blood pressure is hanging around the 145/90-150/80. My doctor is talking about putting me on blood pressure meds in a couple of weeks. I asked him if it had any side effects that might hurt /affect the baby and he said no. I want to know that anybody is there of you ever been put on these while pregnant and what happened?

gingernut
7th Nov 2007, 09:52
It's probably a difficult scenario to unravel via the internet rumki, but I expect that your quack should be determining whether or not your history of raised blood pressure pre-dated your pregnancy, or whether the raised blood pressure is a result of your pregnancy, as your management may be slightly different in each case.

In either case, your condition can be easilly managed, but the key, at this stage, is careful monitoring by your health professionals.

Tread carefully taking advice on this via the internet, it's unlikely the advice you need will be specific enough for your needs.

And pleae post a photo of the end result, nothing like a shot of a new born to cheer things up.:)

Thylakoid
7th Nov 2007, 17:48
High blood pressure and pregnancy don't go well together. It could lead to eclampsia. taking medication to lower the blood pressure would benefit you.
Again, it is just my opinion and you really should discuss this in more details with your doctor.
All the best

gingernut
7th Nov 2007, 20:56
I think this forum can be quite useful for offering general advice to tubby pilots with marginally raised blood pressure, and I'm all for a bit of academic scrapping ,but rumki's post, and potential responses, concerns me a little.

Here we have a heavilly pregnant, vulnerable lady, who needs expert management from clinicians who need to take into account all factors in her care. I guess to add to the debate in this forum will only add confusion (and worry),to the situation.

By offering an armchair diagnosis, the potential for getting things wrong is great, and the consequences potentially grave . And the situation could be sorted out quite simply, safely, and effecively, by someone who is in possession of the full facts.

Without wishing to appear too paternalistic, I suspect further discussion at this stage, on this forum, would not be in the interests of mum and baby.

effortless
8th Nov 2007, 08:08
I think that the responses have been considered. most have said that the quack should be listened to. This said, I have lived through several of my spouses pregnancies and I can assure you all that BP was a big thing to monitor.

winto22
9th Nov 2007, 10:24
Hey All,

Just had my Audiogram in the Mater Private / Aeromedical Center this morning and ill be honest i fully passed with flying colours but it wasnt easy

I have my medical tomorrow morning at 8 am with Dr Kileen in Mountjoy Square ,

Ill keep u all posted

Any Qs feel free to ask

winto22