PDA

View Full Version : Any Aviation Maths and Physics prep courses about?

rogerthat777
22nd Oct 2007, 16:03
Are there any Maths/Physics prepartion courses at any Schools, Colleges or Unis around that could help prepare for training?

I know Cranfield do but I believe it's £50 an hour, (bit steep methinks).

Cheers all

OsPi
22nd Oct 2007, 16:42
Have you checked the CBTs from OAT?

kpd
22nd Oct 2007, 21:16
to all of the people doing training -how much maths and physics is needed both to pass ATPL then day-to-day when qualified??This seems to vary from the US 'we can teach you all you need to know' to the UK selection with specific exams 'without calculator as first assesment'!! Who is right? If it is a lot I will buy Steves CD's if Roger doesn't want them!!!

No Country Members
23rd Oct 2007, 10:27
An advanced level of knowledge in these subjects is not required. I would say basic algebra and trigonometry will help greatly. It will help to read up Pythagoras, know about triangles and also the 1 in 60 rule. As far as physics is concerned, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you know about basics of hydraulics and the way forces are transferred, the basics of aerodynamics it'll all help. Additionally I found my O-level (only) standard of electrics started to ring a few bells (is that a pun?).

That said, I can't imagine it would be impossible to pass without any prior knowledge, you would just have more to learn along the way.

MarcoFF
23rd Oct 2007, 12:07
I am working and saving money for my pilot training, but i would like to study math/physics same time. Anyone know good books about math/physics in aviation? Or just any hints etc. how to upgrade your math skills. Just wanna make it easier then:8
Thanks!

sorry OT, but thought better to put it here than open a new topic.

INNflight
23rd Oct 2007, 14:50
got oxford aviation math and physics GCSE part 1 and 2 unopened on pc disk

So if you say unopened you actually never needed them for test preperation / training or did not attend any training yet?

I'm also looking for materials to study maths other than my normal text books, with a bit more relation to aviation, and I wonder if the content of these OAT CD's is actually really connected with aviation or just the usual stuff you are taught at school. Got a C in my A-levels in maths...awww didn't like it :uhoh: :}

heartbomb
24th Oct 2007, 10:02
I only did Maths and Physics at GCSE standard and then took a year out so I had to brush up...all I used was BBC Bitesize revision site, was enough to get me into WAAC.

I don't think it's necessary to spend loads of money on study guides, use whatever resources for revision you can find on the net. It does help.

Most schools just require basic knowledge of Maths and Physics. I took an entry exam today which had some verbal reasoning, maths, logic questions and English language. Really not what I was expecting since I studied my butt off for Physics and advanced Maths :ugh:

marc4620
12th Dec 2008, 10:09
I know this thread is over 12 months old but it could still be relevant.

There is a company that offers a maths brush up course for £75 per day. It is aviation related and is aimed at ATPL ground school students but any person can come along. The company is based in the Midlands but hold courses throughout the UK.

If anybody would like any further information on Maths4aviation Ltd then please email

[email protected]

Please mention this thread on your email request.

Regards

Marc

monkeytribe
4th Mar 2009, 11:48
There seems to be alot of internet based courses, quite a few are the courses are from learndirect.

Anyone know of any other courses out there?

Rugbyears
4th Mar 2009, 12:10
Please there is no real need for a course that costs a fortune, unless you are finding these subjects too difficult or have low confidence in your own learning ability. The BBC Bitesize is exactly the correct level you require - I suggest you work in accordance to this with relevant literature and you will be fine -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/)

Alternatively, I could make a small fortune and charge you £50 a day for tuition!!:)

Chasegood
4th Mar 2009, 13:33
The schools issue a "MathsWatch" CD Rom for a couple of quid - I'm currently using this (as my fiance is teacher) and I believe passed the first half of my Maths GCSE's yesterday by solely using this CD. I'm still using mine for the completion of the exams in June - but could not recommend a better learning tool than this if you can get your hands on it (ebay?)

RVR800
4th Mar 2009, 13:46
Try

Aviation Courses :: Pilot Mathematics :: The Great Circle (http://www.thegreatcircle.co.uk/groundschool/pilotmaths/)

speedbird001
4th Mar 2009, 18:15
Get in touch with Baz Hamblin at Bristol GS, they've got a great book written by him that is for the ATPL exams, has a fair ammount of CRP 5 work at the end of the book, think it's around £7 or £10 :ok:

SB001

marc4620
10th Jun 2009, 12:09
look at

Maths4aviation (http://www.maths4aviation.co.uk)

CraigyD
11th Jun 2009, 10:58
London Met supply a nice Maths and Physics prep course which is free can you believe it! Just express an interest in doing the ATPL course.

LH2
11th Jun 2009, 11:39
how much maths and physics is needed both to pass ATPL then day-to-day when qualified?

About the same as for passing the exams for and subsequently driving a lorry. I've got both licences, hence how I know.

Once again, in spite of certain pilot training outlets calling their offices "campuses" :rolleyes:, and everyone using all those academic terms ("college", "graduation", etc.), and trying to dress their customers in silly white shirts, this is nothing more than a vocational qualification. If you got through secondary education without major problems, your educational level is already well above what is needed for a pilot's licence.

What really matters for becoming a successful pilot are the so-called soft-skills: teamwork, decision making, communication skills, etc. And of course, experience. :bored: