PDA

View Full Version : Air Namibia requires pilots

square-head
22nd Oct 2007, 13:07
I see Air Namibia are looking for A340, B732 and B1900 drivers. But only on a two-year contract.

JPHIL68
22nd Oct 2007, 15:28
How to apply?
Thank s:ok:

Romeo E.T.
22nd Oct 2007, 19:45
B737 pool based in Nam or Jnb.??

rockandroll1
22nd Oct 2007, 21:35
squarehead, where do have you this info from?

worn chair
23rd Oct 2007, 05:05
These jobs were advertised in the local media about 10 days ago or so. But there's lots more to it than seems to meet the eye.

I want to be daring and make a little prediction here. Lets see how wrong I am...

A certain gentleman at Air Nam recently got a Falcon 900 rating as a gift from the Goverment Air Transport Services. Also flew the President to Japan recently if I'm not mistaken. While his already overworked collegues had to put in the extra hours to keep the airline in the sky.

Anyway, I guess he has to return the favour somehow, and what better way than giving Air Nam captain's ratings to his good friends at the Goverment Air Transport services? First he had to off course advertise the contrsct positions so he couls say that there were no other applicants.

Watch this space!!!!!

PS: Did I hear a little birdie sing something about an emergency Union meeting?

worn chair
23rd Oct 2007, 05:08
OH!!!

And did I mention the fact that german pilots are contracted in to fly the airbus at around N$20000-00 per return trip?

What happened to a training policy to cater for the needs of the airline?

just curious

Pow-wow
23rd Oct 2007, 07:43
Now before I lose my fragile mind again:bored:, and go off on a tirade about Air Nam yet again:eek:, can I just give all you keen guys wanting to work there one piece of advice....: DONT BOTHER !!!!:ugh:

No really....take it from someone who knows....the only reason this would have been in the media for, as worn chair mentioned above,... in-house movement, buddy buddy networks or favours for friends and relatives.

twinvan
23rd Oct 2007, 15:25
AS Pow-Pow rightly said, don't even bother applying! This is indeed a window dressing exercise for the Chief Pilot(one that got the Falcon rating) to get his buddies into the airline. Very interesting that the minimum requirements in the advertisement were reduced from the normal requirements as in the Operations manual of the company. For an A340 captain you need 7000 hours total time of which 2000 must be on B737 or equivalent and 1000 pic on b737 or equivalent. Advert said only 5000 total time..

Due to the fact that the management has not appointed pilots on the domestic pool of the airline, they now sit with a serious shortage on all fleets and also makes in-house promotion impossible! This after numerous warnings from the local pilots union. Currently all pilots are flying 80 hours or more and can therefore not be sent on upgrade courses as that would mean that the a/c will be parked on the ground. The other very obvious problem is that there are a number of B1900 F/O's that do not have ATPL and cannot be promoted to Captain. Therefore the B1900 Captains cannot be released to move up to the B737 pool and so the problem goes up all the way to the A340 pool. Some of these F/O's have been sitting on the domestic pool in excess of 4 years without getting an ATPL and yes you have guessed it, most of them are Affirmative Action candidates. They have even now been offered bursaries to go to the States to do their ATPL there because they simply cannot pass the exams for the ICAO license. This the kind of pilots you want to be flown around in in a b737 or a340?!

Another interesting thing is that Air Namibia recently acquired 2 B737-500 a/c. These a/c are now parked in Johannesburg until at least end of November because the B737-200 pilots that need to do a differences course cannot be released from line flying due to the serious shortage. You guess how much money is lost when you lease an a/c like that and it is simply parked on the apron...:yuk:

Enough said for now.

worn chair
24th Oct 2007, 06:59
The way I understand the affirmative action policy is that preference should be given to a previously disadvantaged person, when such a person is part of a group of people who qualify for a position. It does not differentiate between black and white, merely between previously disadvantaged or not and between gender. Unfornunately it is not clear what qualifies a person to be previously disadvantaged, and therefor the system is brutally abused.

But the imporatant fact is that affirmitive action does not cater for the entry or minimum requirments to be lowered, as this would lower the overall standard of proffesionalism in the industry, and also endanger the lives of the passengers of Air Namibia. This could surely be contested in court.

Its very simple, if 2 people qualify and meet the requirements for a position, and one was previously disadvantaged, or is a woman, then they should get the position. Just being of a certain skin color is not enough to qualify for a position under the affirmitive action bill.

The flying public appreciates the proffesionalism of the current pilots of Air Namibia. It is a pleasure to set foot on your aircraft. If the above posts turn out to become reality, I, for one, will surely have to change airlines. Keep on fighting for justice!!!

Romeo E.T.
29th Oct 2007, 16:55
And a "BIG" full page spread in the Sunday Times looking for an Ops dirctor, A340 drivers, B737 drivers and B1900 drivers...is this still "window-dressing" and missleading advertising.??

Pow-wow
30th Oct 2007, 18:30
Yes it is :*

freesky
30th Oct 2007, 20:36
TOO many windows;:}
NOT enough dressing!

The staff situation is critical there... and a few pilots are seriously looking.
I think things will get a lot worse, even to the point where they will have to cnl flights.

P.s. :ok:Apparently even the cabbin staff was about to strike about 2 weeks ago.
Management conceeded 'defeet' VERY COLD FEET!:D

south coast
31st Oct 2007, 15:15
Basically it is against our union's collective agreement as well as against the labour law and against the affermative action law.

This constitutes a criminal offence against Air Namibia and any employment offer will be reversed by the court and then the pilot will have to sue Air Namibia.

freesky
2nd Nov 2007, 19:41
3 Windhoek ATCs have resigned; 1 to follow....

The fare-well party will be on Friday 30 Nov 2007

Everybody seems to be invited!

Venue seems to be somewhere on Eros airport or close by!

More info will be posted as soon as it comes to me.

Pow-wow
3rd Nov 2007, 11:04
Join in everyone..........Its the end of the world as we know it...its the end..................:):bored::oh::sad:

PS. Congrats ATC's you held out long enough. Hope they appreciate you more wherever you go next. Thanks for keeping things safe while you were there.:D

square-head
3rd Nov 2007, 12:21
P-P, u mean we should join the funeral:{

freesky
7th Nov 2007, 06:22
The Swift Flying Club has been organized for the party.

30 November 2007 from 15h00Z
1 skaap ......:}
bring lots of $$ for booze!:)
Organize a dedicated driver.....(x-girl?)

see you there!

p.s. Air Nam just lost their first A340 co-pilot...(congrats)

twinvan
7th Nov 2007, 20:14
and many more to follow!!

rawitact
8th Nov 2007, 15:40
Additionally a couple of Captains from ALL fleets (B190, B737 and A340) have a moves indicated.

The staff situation is critical there... and a few pilots are seriously looking.
I think things will get a lot worse, even to the point where they will have to cnl flights.

Not only is there a problem or 2 in Air Namibia but also in Namibian ATC.
These threads have to be read together....:\

I.R.PIRATE
9th Nov 2007, 06:36
Sounds like the disease in SA is quite infectious...:E

NAm is just the proverbial oracle....

Dogship
9th Nov 2007, 06:57
And the 2 guys that were given the initial 1900 jobs are refusing to pay for their own 1900 rating! Ridiculous that an airline is so deep in trouble, they get 2 able pilots and then refuse to pay for their rating!And then the brothers are sent to the US of A for an ATP, at a cost of U$20K!Good to be in Africa!

Pow-wow
13th Nov 2007, 12:38
Sorry, what is the DFO :confused:

K.Whyjelly
13th Nov 2007, 22:10
A managerial post within an airline......Director of Flight Operations

Pow-wow
14th Nov 2007, 08:34
Oh...silly me...so not the MFO or the FOM....or the FOD....or the...

Thats...:

Manager of Flight Operations

Flight Operations Manager

Flight Operations Director

DFO maybe in a "conventional" airline, but this bunch have used all the terms above to describe the same position before.

Jamex
14th Nov 2007, 09:45
The only FOD that should concern us is Foreign Object Damage.:}

Pow-wow
14th Nov 2007, 11:55
And there is plenty of that around in Africa...be it animal, vegetable or mineral...:\

poljot, suggest you try this first...

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=b65se1y01553vvnn54eyza1r1w4076q62kp4a8vz4nqp 61z2t3q

Jim-J
14th Nov 2007, 13:15
And... .
Foreign Object Debris - FOD bins all round the laghawe.... :bored:

savannah
15th Nov 2007, 06:15
Hello guyz
im interested in Nam job openings, could anyone post an email or address and how to appyl?? Im sick with my company off the book policy here in west africa, got 3000hr on right seat on a 732, when time for command is up the bring the retired pilots (old friends) back on line, and we have to wait, with my 9000tt, i feel i should go back to flying chieftains, enjoying tree top kinda flying

sad :ugh: