PDA

View Full Version : Do you work(ed) for BMed, Virgin Express, BA??

theunknown
18th Dec 2000, 00:37
Hi all! Have decided to move on from my present cabin crew position.

Have got myself an interview at Bmed', Virgin Express and BA (Mainline Eurofleet), all at LHR. Of the three which, if i get a chance should i take? Looking basically for the most night stops and the most money to take away each month. Also how easy is it to move from V'Express to mainline Virgin and the from Bmed' and Eurofleet to longhaul BA? What are they like to work for? Any ideas or info? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by theunknown (edited 17 December 2000).]

SomewhereOverHere
18th Dec 2000, 02:32
Don't know about moving from Virgin Express to mainline. However, BMed and BA are different companies so you can't "transfer" between the two, you'd have to leave one company and apply for the other.
Re nightstops, BA European fleet does have some but mostly out late one evening, back early the next morning I would guess from the schedules. You would get more night stops with BMed, but no idea how the salaries/allowances etc compare.
Good luck.

Next Generation PSR
18th Dec 2000, 04:16
I've heard that British Mediterranean is quite a popular company to work for with lots of nightstops. Only down side I could think of is constant 5-6 hour sectors on A320s. I think it could be quite interesting re: nightstops and customers on board the aircraft with destinations such as Luxor, Alexandria, Bishkek, Damascus, Amman, Baku and other not so well known destinations in the Middle East. I guess the big plus with BMed is a smaller company = usually happier workplace with greater team spirit as opposed to the 'I'm just going to bed' mentality found with crews of larger carriers such as BA.

Virgin Express - I would not go near with a barge pole - rumour has it they will not exist after Summer 2001.

TakeTheCup
18th Dec 2000, 04:25
If you like to party and have a good time, possess a sense of humour and a liver you don't mind damaging then Bmed is the place for you. All flights are night stops ranging from one to 5 nights away at a time. Basic salary is average or slightly above but you make a far amount in allowances whislt away, only a portion of which is taxed. Destinations are interesting the first few time you go there, after 6 months you've seen and done the touristy bit and its the people that make the job. We're a pretty friendly bunch and after a while you will know everyone which makes for a good time on board and downroute. Wouldn't get too put off by spending 5 hrs on an A320. We only have 124 seats in them and do one main service on each flight. Speaking to the guys and girls from charter you will be presently surprised at the amount of work you do. By the time you read this I think the interviews will be over so if you got in, take it and we'll see you on line, if not, try again next time - it's worth it.

alcoflyer
18th Dec 2000, 13:22
cannot move vex/mainline - different aoc's and only common factor is the 'Virgin' branding - company ok but its lhr/bru/ bcn or fco and the only n/s is BCN once a week (if rostering don't s~~w) up - good bunch and if u have experience, Purser posns available

Xenia
18th Dec 2000, 13:49
Next Generation PSR...haven't seen u around the forum for ages... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Where have u been darling??? I missed u!
I wanted to e-mail u a X-mas card...but your e-mail is not in your profile ;)
If u want to get in touch with me, please e-mail me at [email protected]
By the way...Merry Christmas and a Happy 2001 to u all!!!!

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Get Smart
19th Dec 2000, 19:23
BMED is money for old rope as takethecup says. Competitive salary. No turnrounds. Very friendly. Fair rostering. BA staff travel. Nice pax - the vast majority are families & business people. Crew who have worked for previous airlines appreciate it. Also, for those who'd like to get into flying, it's a good place to start.

FireDragon
20th Dec 2000, 00:36
Do BMED take on part-time cabin crew?

TakeTheCup
23rd Dec 2000, 12:45
FireDragon, sorry but Bmed do not take part time crew directly - a few full time crew who have returned from maternaty leave have come back on a part time basis and last year some crew were offered part time during the winter - however with the expansion of the company this was not offered this year.