PDA

View Full Version : Problems sending mail with MS Outlook

rossilinni
21st Oct 2007, 23:05
Trying to send about forty or so emails via MS outlook. All emails apart from the name of the person are the same - also each has an attachement of about 4MB included. They are invitations to a social event.

At the present they are all sitting in the outbox MS outlook trying to send them but no real success up to this point. I left the computer on overnight and still getting the popup "sending 1 of 32 " nothing going on really.

Any suggestions - maybe the problem is something to do with the settings I have on MS outlook - suggestions welcome.

parabellum
21st Oct 2007, 23:45
I have had a similar problem and it turned out to be one receiving ISP that would not accept the inbound from me and that blocked the whole process, some of the 'freebee' ISPs can be a bit difficult.

Couldn't send a 4MB attachment last night to a single address using 'reply' so typed in the email address manually, hey presto, message gone!

You may have just one crooked address holding things up.

rossilinni
21st Oct 2007, 23:59
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know the actual keystrokes to disable scanning of outbound emails and their relevant attachements when you are using Mcaffe.

I tried just going into the email control and turning the spam filter off - but I think this refers more to inbound emails than the scanning of outbound emails etc.

OK managed to figure out how to disable the auto scanning of outbound messages - it still only sends around 8 of these before slowing right down. That is about 8 messages of 4 MB - so I would assume this is some kind of "choke" that my provider ( telstra bigpond ) has put on ??

Thanks again

parabellum
22nd Oct 2007, 04:40
I'm also on Bigpond and have trouble getting large attachments out recently, thought it was just me!

Laborious I know but suggest you start to send them out one by one and see if they go then keep going until you find the one that is holding things up and note it for future reference.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Oct 2007, 16:29
"Don't do that" would be the first response.

Unless you are absolutely 100% certain that every single one of the recipients has a fast broadband connection and you are dead sure that none of them is currently on the road and, say, reading email via an international circuit switched mobile phone call.

4MB for a party invitation is ludicrous.

Send a couple of lines of text, one of which is a link, and put the pretty bit on a web server.

ruslan124
22nd Oct 2007, 17:41
Is this a home computer or one that you used connected to Microsoft Exchange in your Office?

If you do connect to Microsoft Exchange and the person you are sending to is part of the Exchange contact list and you are trying to send when not connected to Exchange, then this is a known problem.

It relates to Outlook not being able to resolve the address of the recipient when you are not connected to Exchange.

If this does sound like your issue, then please reply and I will dig out the Microsoft Knowledge Base article for you. If you are not an Exchange user then none of this will be in the least bit interesting to you :rolleyes:

stickyb
23rd Oct 2007, 03:48
First thing, how fast is your connection? ADSL or dialup or what. you need to know the up speed, not the download speed.

secondly, what else is using the connction? any other pc? are you doing any file uploading/downloading? they all take away bandwidth from outlook.

where is your smtp mail server located, in the same country?

go to this site http://www.speedtest.net/ and choose a location near your smtp server to run the test from. you can try ruinning on an empty machine and a loaded machine to get 2 different figures.

Then do the sums. work out how long it will take to transfer 4megabytes at whatever bits per second speed you measured.

also, check the timeout figure on the connection - set it to something a bit longer if necessary.

one quirk of outlook, if it gets a fail on an item when sending, that item may not be attempted again until you close down and restart outlook.

Keef
23rd Oct 2007, 10:14
"Don't do that" would be the first response.

Amen to that!
I was well pleased when my laptop/cellphone started to download an 18MB photo that someone thought I just MUST see.
They even sent it to the laptop's separate e-mail address.

At £3 per MB over my allocation, you can imagine how valuable that pesky photo of her pesky dog would have been.

Bushfiva
23rd Oct 2007, 12:15
If you're on an expensive connection, consider configuring your email program to download headers only. You can then choose whether to download the email, email plus attachment, delete it, or save it for another time.