PDA

View Full Version : did i ask wrong

charlie1
5th Feb 2001, 07:34
hi everyone, i posted a question asking if anybody can help me with what goes on at qantas interviews and i had no reply. i was wondering if i asked the question in the wrong way. i have never posted a question on here before so i am not sure of what goes on. i will be grateful for any help.
thanks

------------------
love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobodys watching

flyblue
5th Feb 2001, 14:56
I don't think so, Charlie. I think it just happens there are not many Qantas FAs around now. Did you try on other FA forums too?
Keep waiting and faith!
Good luck

aussieboy
6th Feb 2001, 05:21
Hi Charlie1, have you got an interview with Qantas lined up, if so when is it?? I am also hoping to go to the upcoming Qantas interviews!

charlie1
7th Feb 2001, 06:49
thanks flyblue, i was begining to think nobody was going to talk to me.
aussieboy, i do not know the exact date that Qantas will we interviewing but i have heard on the grape vine that it will be early this month so i keep checking the hotline everyday to see if there are any changes.i also have my fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe they will hold interviews in perth as well as sydney, brisbane and melbourne. ( i can only dream )
good luck when you get your interview.

------------------
love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobodys watching

flapsforty
7th Feb 2001, 11:27
Charlie, e mail me and I'll give you the URL to a BBL run by OZmates where you will find Qantas CC.
regards
f40

Cart_tart
11th Feb 2001, 20:55
hi charlie
I went through the qf interviews in Nov 99.
I did the walk in interview where they look at you for 5 mins you tell them a bit about yourself and then you either get a call back or told bye bye. I was lucky enough to get a call back and did the group interview where you sit around tables in groups of 6 or so with a staff member on your table assessing everyone. You listen to speakers, chat about things, do team activities etc. From what I gathered they're looking at how you interact with others, body language, communication skills. Then you have a morning/afternoon tea and you mingle with everyone and they watch how you mingle. After that it's back to the table for a little bit longer and then you're sent out of the room for about an hour to wait to see if you get a call back. After that it's the panel interview. My panel interview was with 2 lovely people who eased my nerves!! They asked me about what i liked about my job and what i didn't like, give them an example of how i turned a negative situation into a positive one, why i wanted to be an FA and other stuff that I don't really remember. Then you have to go out and wait (again!) and they tell you whether to go or whether you're going to the next stage which is psych testing. I went and did the psych test - took about an hour and is a pretty standard psych test if you've ever seen one. Then you wait again to see if they want you to have a medical. I had a medical, security screening etc and sent it all in and waited......and waited. In early january (remember I finished the interviews early Nov) I had a phone call re my references & whether it was ok to contact them. Then I waited again...end of Jan I received a letter saying "thank you for your time but you have been unsuccessful...please reapply in 6 months time!" GREAT! I tried to find out why I didn't get through but no one could give me an answer. They can afford to be picky given that roughly 10,000 people will apply for the job!
They are recruiting again soon....check the papers in the next 2 weeks. Apparentally this time they're not doing the walk ins...you have to phone and leave a message and if they like the sound of you they will ring you back and arrange a time for the group interview. Interviews are apparentally being held in PER for longhaul crew based here. That is what I've HEARD whether it's true is another story!
I hope I've been of some help to you!
Good luck

cabinboy
13th Feb 2001, 05:06
Cart_tart,
Thank-you for sharing that info with us, that was really nice of you. It is good to get an overall picture of what goes on, I attended the walk in interviews also but was not successful either.

Charlie 1, Perth recruitment would not be out of the question. Cart_tart is right, the new base has opened at Perth and there could be new crew required. This will also free up positions in the regional carriers but please note that their interviews are conducted somewhat different to QF prime recruitment.

Cart_tart who are you flying for ? or are you still a gonnabe like me ? :)

Good Luck to everyone, with so much god damn competition we need it ! :)

Cabinboy - QF A380 Cabin Manager "to be"

------------------
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.

Cart_tart
13th Feb 2001, 06:17
It's all true.......
QF are recruting crew for PER....ad in paper this week.
Cabinboy...I fly here in PER. I was in the QF crew room the other day and there was a notice on the board for internal applicants - it appeared that they were doing walk-in's for current staff. Whether it's the same for the external recruits who knows. The ad said that they were only recruiting for PER but "expect movement in the east later in the year"
Good news huh?

cabinboy
13th Feb 2001, 08:16
Hi Cart_tart,

I am current QF staff also, but to my shock have not seen any internal advertisements for these positions...I would not be suprised if they had not even bothered to post them in our dept...I have heard stories to back that comment up. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

And cart_tart, I am just a bit confused, If you were in the QF crew room and your profile says you are flight attendant why are you applying ? or are you NJS/Airlink crew ?

Cheers :)

Cart_tart
13th Feb 2001, 11:52
check your email Cabinboy!

charlie1
16th Feb 2001, 18:38
Thanks to all especially cart_tart for the info - hopefully it will come in handy very soon as I have just checked the Qantas website and they are advertising in tomorrows West Australian (17 Feb). For Cabinboy - the same webpage said that Qantas will be advertising for casual FAs in Sydney and Melbourne tomorrow as well. But hey - you can always come over to Perth and fly over here! The weather's great - a bit windy though...

[This message has been edited by charlie1 (edited 16 February 2001).]

Cart_tart
17th Feb 2001, 02:48
Charlie...it's 6am, I've just been and bought the west aust....can't find the bl**dy ad for the life of me...have you found it?

cabinboy
18th Feb 2001, 04:57
Guys you are correct there is recruitment however I heard what happened, the advertisements were to appear on 17th Feb in papers in Syd, Mel and Per .. however there was a stuff up and none of them got printed. The QF hotline and website says to refer to the paper but the ad's were not printed !....watch next weeks paper.

Charlie 1 , just might take you up on your offer my 3 preferred bases is BNE, MEL or PER.

------------------
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.

charlie1
18th Feb 2001, 09:43
Thanks for the info cabinboy, I was in the same situation as Cart_Tart on Saturday morning, freaking out thinking that I couldn't see it or was missing a page. I guess I'll be buying the West Australian every day from now on until the ad comes up.

Cart_tart
19th Feb 2001, 08:34
Check Wednesday's West Aust....apparentally in there!

Cart_tart
19th Feb 2001, 08:43
ooohhh.
also forgot to mention that there was an ad in the Age in MEL on saturday for casual positions & it basically said not to bother applying if you want to go full time because they're not going to turn the casuals into full timers!
INTERESTING!

Cart_tart
21st Feb 2001, 05:44
I got a walk in interview! Some of the girls I work with tried to ring at 0830 and the interview slots were all full!!
My only problem is...I have a 14hr duty on saturday!!! What should I do?????

charlie1
21st Feb 2001, 06:37
Woohooo! I got an interview too - I heard that some people were down at the West Australian last night and rang through last night - silly me waiting until 8am to ring! Sounds like I was lucky to get through though...

Cart tart - can you call in sick, or anything else?

Good luck!

Cart_tart
21st Feb 2001, 10:46
PHEW!!!
Managed to do a swaparoo at the last minute! 2 gorgeous girls are doing my horror duties for me! I LOVE THEM!!!
Although....in return...i'm starting work at 1415 on Monday and not finishing until 0355 on tuesday...NICE! Can't complain though! Fingers crossed I get through to the next stage though!!!!!
Apparentally you were lucky to get one charlie. Some girlies I work with rang at 0810 and the recorded message said that all sessions were fully booked!!!! I think I just scraped through by the skin of my teeth!

charlie1
21st Feb 2001, 13:46
hurray, you get to go!!!!
it makes me feel ill to think that i could have missed out if i had rung a few minutes later. do you have a morning or afternoon interview?

Cart_tart
22nd Feb 2001, 11:35
2pm!
I'm scared.
Did my RSA course today. Still don't know if i passed the impossible test!! I'll get a phone call if i didn't!
I'll have to wait and see!

Tarantella
22nd Feb 2001, 14:12
Good luck everyone!
The supervisors in the new PER base are a fantastic bunch of people and all the new cabin crew are too.
I hope you all get through the interviews.
Might catch up for a drink in Singapore when you get in ;)

Cart_tart
23rd Feb 2001, 07:25
any tips on HOW to get in?????

charlie1
23rd Feb 2001, 11:00
hi cart_tart, my interview is at 2pm as well!!!! so we can sit there looking at everybody wondering who each other is. when you are there and everybody is looking super confident you can rest assure that i am SOOOOO nervous. i was nervous doing my RSA and i was shaking punching the details on the phone! so if you see somebody there that can't remember how to spell their name because they are so nervous that would be me!!! i guess that is what happens when you really want something.thanks for the kind words tarantella i also wish everybody the best of luck and we just have to think positive!

Cart_tart
23rd Feb 2001, 11:04
when did you do your RSA course charlie?
If you see a chick with knees knocking, hands trembling and a terrified look on her face....thats me!!!!!!

charlie1
25th Feb 2001, 08:40
so how did everybody go? what a nerve racking experience!!!!! i don't think i have ever shaken so much!

Cart_tart
25th Feb 2001, 09:48
How'd you go Charlie?
I didn't get a second interview. Quite disappointing : ( Oh well. 3rd time lucky next time. At least I'm in a job I love!! Another year or so of experience won't hurt when I apply again!
I can't wait to hear how everyone went. For those of you that have 2nd interviews - GOOD LUCK!! I hope you all get in!!

charlie1
25th Feb 2001, 17:58
i'm sorry cart_tart that it didn't work out this time. i was lucky and i got a second interview. the lady that did my interview with was fantastic, we just clicked right from the start we also seemed to have the same scense of humour. i think the wait is going to kill me. i guess it gives me a lot of time to make sure i am really really nervous!!at least you are doing a job that you enjoy at the moment so time will fly, and before you know it you will be going through the whole process again. do you know how many people applied for the job and how many are going through to the next stage and how many jobs are on offer?

cabinboy
26th Feb 2001, 05:47
Charlie 1 congrats on your 2nd interview, what is your background ? you seem to have done really well for your first f/a interview and being new and fresh to the wannabe croud of f/a's...great stuff ! :)

Cart-tart, back luck sweetie...you'll get there soon enough..you will just have to enjoy the 146 cabin fumes for now.. :)

Cabinboy

------------------
I don't mind flying. I always pass out before the plane leaves the ground — Naomi Campbell, supermodel.

Cart_tart
26th Feb 2001, 07:33
Thanks Charlie & Cabinboy!
I don't feel so bad anymore. What's meant to be is meant to be right? I'll get there eventually! I won't stop until I do get there either!!!!
Like you said Cabinboy...i'll just have to enjoy the sweet perfume of the 146 for a while longer!

MissShagwell
27th Feb 2001, 08:28
Hi All,

I didnt get a second interview either - just one of those 'With Compliments' cards. Oh well, I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles. From what I've heard they seem to have given a lot of second interviews to those with little or no experience - typical.

Cya,

Shaggy.