PDA

View Full Version : Skywest's 4th F-100 arrives.

outback aviator
21st Oct 2007, 01:55
FNN, Skywest's 4th F-100 arrived in Perth on Friday 19th.The 5th (FNT) was heard flying between Port Hedland and Melbourne on Sat.20th and finally the 6th (FNU?) is planned to arrive next March.I guess the resources boom in W.A. is well underway.:ok:

Capn Bloggs
21st Oct 2007, 14:36
Great. More dirty little Fokkers. That's all we need! :}

PS: Who's going to fly them?

Ralph the Bong
21st Oct 2007, 21:43
I saw on the Skywest website that they are after F100 DECs. I know that there are several guys at Skywest who have quite substancial jet experince. Why dont they upgrade these blokes?

Capt Claret
22nd Oct 2007, 02:16
'Coz if they take DECs, they could just make life very difficult for the opposition!

jarjar
22nd Oct 2007, 02:19
I saw on the Skywest website that they are after F100 DECs.
Ill think youll find that these positions were advertised a while ago, mainly to assist the training department in getting guys up to speed on the F100 during the expansion. If anyone does join XR this way I believe it will be in accordance with the CA which only allows outside crews 6 months contract employment, then its straight back down the seniority list.
JarJar

Ralph the Bong
22nd Oct 2007, 03:10
Who'd take a DEC at Skywest only to be shoved down to F50 FO 6 months later? Did anyone actually apply? I heard that several experienced jet guys left last year because of frustration with the company. That's a shame, it sounds like Skywest could sure use them now.

What were the T&Cs offered? To be competitive they would need to offer contract guys aound $8,000 per month after tax plus pay expenses.

The question still remains: Why doesn't XR use people already in the company who have proven, useful and demonstrated experience to foster company expansion and develop a proper jet culture?

Brasilian Bird
22nd Oct 2007, 05:41
Knowa few in this company. There ARE guys there who 'should' be upgraded... but I hear some don't want to as they like being where they are for family/lifestyle reasons...

6 jets in all... where the hell they gonna park 'em all??? it's Skippers all over again, only on a bigger scale! :}

MACH082
22nd Oct 2007, 13:43
So when are the A320's rumbling into town?:O

Skystar320
23rd Oct 2007, 00:37
Wasnt It November last year they were on about it? Would be nice seeing A320's flying in Skywest Livery!!!!!!!!!

Bring back the Skybus!!!!! [for those who don't know, Skybus is what Ansett used to call them :ok::ok::ok:]

apacau
23rd Oct 2007, 01:25
Ansett used to call them Skystars - you of all people should know this :}

Skystar320
23rd Oct 2007, 02:03
oh dear............. blonde moment

topend3
24th Oct 2007, 14:33
good write up on XR expansion in OCT Australian Aviation, indicates that the A320 deal is still on and the first aircraft is due November 2008, i know this will cause much comment from the cynics who think it will never happen...

Xeptu
25th Oct 2007, 04:27
Personally I doubt that will ever happen, but that would be just before QF bring into town their shiny new Q400's to beat them up over their high yield routes, so should be a fun time for XR, watch this space.

PER210
7th Nov 2007, 06:28
is skywest a good company to work for cabin crew wise?

ScottyDoo
7th Nov 2007, 06:42
Yeah they've got heaps of them - young, gorgeous and very friendly!!! :ok:

PER210
7th Nov 2007, 06:59
haha. so i should apply then? :}

topend3
7th Nov 2007, 10:29
QF bring into town their shiny new Q400's to beat them up over their high yield routes

Xeptu, I think you will find the turboprop routes in WA are granted on a licence basis and XR have an exclusive licence to the coastal routes for another 2 or 3 years.

Icarus2001
8th Nov 2007, 00:08
Non-jet routes in WA are "regulated" under a legally dubious tendering system...
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/aviation/1346.asp
http://www.skywest.com.au/home.asp?documentid=222
http://www.skippers.com.au/n_017.htm
So the "deal" is for three years with a two year option.
My belief is that it does not stop a company competing with jet aircraft. In fact I believe the "regulation" is illegal in that it is a restriction of trade and could be challenged as avaition is regulated at a commonwealth level not a state level. However so far it suits the incumbents to have a cosy little duopoly.
Bring in some jungle jets though and all bets are off.:ok:

topend3
8th Nov 2007, 10:28
maybe so Icarus but one reason these routes are protected is to ensure that some of these communities receive an air service at all. it's all very well to open routes up to competition but many of the WA turboprop routes will only support one airline viably. Open them up and the risk is no service at all.