PDA

View Full Version : Help please.

The Dodger
20th Oct 2007, 23:08
Hi there.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, so I will go with the flow.
I am currently an Aircraft tech employed with the RAF ( please don't throw stones at me yet) who is completly fed up and wants to make that leap into working on civilian aircraft. I have got wide bodied aircraft experience with some experience of working at international airports. I am trying to study for my B1 licence, however due to operational needs, it's on hold. I have got so fed up of not being able to study for my B1 licence in my current enviroment that a job in the civilian sector is for me. Can any like minded soul out there, say if the job market is still good in the Civilian sector at this time. Any help would be great.:ok:

Rigga
21st Oct 2007, 21:59
Hi Dodger,
Read the many threads on e-goat.

Your experience is recognized by many companies - your qualifications may not be - either way; you will be a mechanic until you get a licence.

FORCE yourself to get used to studying again, and get some modules under your belt before doing the leap. If you don't you will be working as a Mech for some years until you do get a Licence. (A mate of mine took five years after he left the RAF)

If you can show you are more than 1/2 way to a B1, SOME companies may help you along.

There is a shortage out here - but that doesn't mean we're all desperate yet.

Knuckle Down, Use your Time and ELD (?) wisely - dont rush it!

Rigga

mainwheel
22nd Oct 2007, 18:27
Arty,

What part of engineering/maintenance are you looking at as your future. Main base heavy maintenance wide body, helicopters, commuters, light fixed wing, line maintenance outstation narrow body........:}:confused:

As far as the study thing goes, my advice was you won't pass unless you do the work. Fairly simple.

Blacksheep
23rd Oct 2007, 00:28
I thought he'd made it quite plain that his current working environment is not conducive to studying and that's one reason he wants out. When the military operate in rough conditions they aren't talking about the crew room water boiler being unserviceable. Living in a tent with half a dozen other sweats and dodging mortar bombs on your way to the bogs can play merry hell with your concentration.

Yes, there's work outside in the civil world and it looks like there'll be plenty more to come. Be prepared to start over at the bottom, but it won't take that long to get back to certifying level. Certainly not five years - 18 months is more like it.

EGT Redline
23rd Oct 2007, 16:10
18 months is a realistic timescale for guys who've completed the licence modules prior to leaving the RAF. Walk away with nothing and it could take you 3-5 years to pass all the exams and acquire the necessary civil aircraft experience before licence issue and certifying positions become reality.

Dodger,

Whilst I appreciate studying for a licence in an operational environment is basically a non-starter, you must make time to study back at your main base. Time served, rank and status held is irrelevant on leaving the forces and you will work as a mechanic until you've got a licence. Make it your primary goal to get as many modules under your belt before jumping ship otherwise it could be a number of years before you get back to a level of responsibility and authority that is similar to what you may have been used to in the mob.

Plenty of us have successfully made the transition to civil aviation. The opportunities and rewards are out here but nothing comes free, you will have to work for them just like everybody else.