PDA

View Full Version : Faa Ir -> Caa Ir

Cirrus_Clouds
19th Oct 2007, 23:13
Hey all,

Is it reasonably easy to convert an FAA IR license to a CAA IR license?

Any idea of the typical costs?

Assuming I got an FAA license and then did a conversion, does this then allow me to fly in both the states and around the UK; or is it only one or the other?

I am keen to sample some flying in the USA and around some stunning scenery and this may involve the odd rating.

Many thanks! :ok:

TelBoy
20th Oct 2007, 00:11
There has been a lot said in this forum about such issues, but I will state what I know about the subject.

First the IR is NOT a licence, it is a rating. FAA licences are valid in the UK and on a G reg aircraft for non commercial use, however if you have an FAA IR you cannot operate a G reg IFR. You will of course get ALL your FAA licence privaleges if the aircraft is N registered.

Conversion from FAA to JAA IR is from my understanding not a stright forward case and you will need a MINIMUM of 15 hours training in JAA land for it. Note MINIMUM.

Look at where you want to fly and for what end. If you want to fly comercially in the JAA lands then do JAA training, if it is just for pleasure, why not do an FAA PPL and have fun flying in the US and then convert back home if you wish to add IMC etc.

Have fun flying and all best wishes for your chosen route.

TheRed(lfc)Baron
20th Oct 2007, 09:30
Cirrus,

I originally did an FAA IR just for the fun (and the fact that I did'nt feel comfortable in poor weather although I had an IMC rating) when I was out in the states doing some hour building. A few years later I went onto use the fact that I had the rating to do a conversion to a JAA IR, I passed in 19 hours (including test) this saved me from having to buy the full 55 hour course.
The one thing I would advise is to pick a good school there are many that will get you through the test (with a friendly examiner) but your ticket won't be worth the paper it's written on. Once your done make sure you shoot loads of ils's (as there free!!!) and ndb approachs and keep your own standard high.:)

have fun

Red