PDA

View Full Version : Will any British airlines hire 18 year olds?

Captain C152
22nd Mar 2001, 21:30
Hi All,

It is my ultimate ambition to become an airline pilot - but I'd really love to work as Cabin Crew for a couple of years along thw way.

I assure that I'm not merely viewing the job as a way to get to the other side of the flight deck door! I really do fancy giving it a go. I know you guys work extremely hard, but it also seems as though you all love your jobs and have a lot of fun along the way!

As an 18 year old I was wondering whether any airlines will take people so young? I know that I could do the job, but do the airlines? :) What are the policies on taking 18 year olds direct from the end of their A-level exams?

I'm based in the South East, and would particulary love to work from STN. Especially for a carrier such as Go, Ryanair or Buzz. Do any of you work for these carriers, and can you tell me the policies?

If not I could also work from LTN, LCY, LHR or LGW... are there any possibilities there?

Many thanks,

In anticipation!

Captain Cessna!

pinkelephant
22nd Mar 2001, 22:39
Sorry, but if you're interested in EZ at LTN then their minimum age is 20.
Good luck with elsewhere!!

euroboy
22nd Mar 2001, 23:19
Have a look at the British Airways site inside BA. Believe they take on Ground Staff at 18. Able to move around in the company.
www.britishairways.com (http://www.britishairways.com)

click on "inside BA"

Hope this helps.

theunknown
23rd Mar 2001, 18:54
I was 18 when I started as CC at BMI, now 1 year later i'm half way through my PPL with the ambition to become an airline pilot...so it can be done! Mail me for any more info.

irishcc
23rd Mar 2001, 19:11
Ryanair will recruit at 18

Captain C152
23rd Mar 2001, 19:37
Many thanks for all your replies!

The Ryanair response is particulary interesting!

I wonder if they are recruiting now....

Time for a few phone calls I think!

Captain Cessna!

____

The unknown,

I'd really like to drop you an e-mail, but you haven't left your address! If you send me one at [email protected] I'll reply.

Thanks!

cuggles
26th Mar 2001, 00:42
Hi Go Fly ltd recruit people at 18 you should phone them on 01279 666300 and enquire you only need to be bright and bubbly.

Flightrider
28th Mar 2001, 17:46
Captain C152,
Excel Airways have changed their minimum recruitment age to 18 for cabin crew and are recruiting for LGW base. 01293 410727 for an application form.

Best of luck - I wish more pilots would do this. I'm neither flight nor cabin crew but from working alongside all of them, believe me it does make a positive difference if the pilots have experience of what the cabin crew actually do.

cart tart 1
28th Mar 2001, 18:41
Are you mad!!
Excel is the former Sabre Airways
Cr*p company,pay ,rosters and the management r complete incompetants
Apply to these at your peril

Little Fly Girl
29th Mar 2001, 03:28
Of the airlines previously mentioned who do recruit at 18, which of them specify that you speak a second language?

I am in the same position as captain c152, and am also considering this route, but I only have basic GCSE Spanish (well, what I can remember of it anyway! ;) )

Also, has anyone got any idea of what the salaries of these airlines is for cabin crew?
I'm just thinking into the future about completing the rest of my PPL and if (financialy) it will be an option.

Many thanks,

LFG :)

cart tart 1
29th Mar 2001, 11:40
on a good month with excel (if there is such a thing)the basic pay is about 590 with 1.80 flight pay and you dont need any other languages although they always help.

DJflyer
29th Mar 2001, 13:35
Does anyone know if the Aussie airlines hire 18 year olds? (If not for cabin crew, is there anything that could get a foot in the door?) I'm pretty much in the same boat as Captain C152... any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Next Generation PSR
29th Mar 2001, 14:17
cart tart 1, why are you so anti-Sabre, maybe you didn't quite make it with them for various reasons!

Anyway they fly the most modern fleet of charter aircraft in the country B737-800s less than 2.5 years old. (727s now gone) This year they will also be operating three B767s.

Basic for Cabin Crew is around £8,700, plus flight pay of £2.00 plus commission of around 1.6% - so get your facts right!

Prospective new recruits do not be put off by someone obviously displaying sour grapes
With the re-launch as Excel Airways a good time to join.

A really friendly company where you will not be just a number.

I hear places are still available at LGW

cart tart 1
29th Mar 2001, 15:54
next generation i did make it your not quite there yet r u ? Never mind !!I worked there for a while so its not sour grapes its just not a good company to work for.Still see friends i met while flying there.

cart tart 1
29th Mar 2001, 17:26
Next Generation.You dont work for excels PR Department by ant chance.Do you work there because if not you have no idea what you are talking about.

flap_actuator
30th Mar 2001, 21:41
I believe jmc recruit from the age of 18.

That is assuming you don't mind a busy summer schedule!

Next Generation PSR
31st Mar 2001, 00:55
cart tart 1, no I'm not in their PR department, just get a bit miffed when someone has a go at our company and their facts are out of date and are creating the wrong impression.

Oh BTW, I fly, I'm there, and as far as I'm concerned yes I've made it - from my point of view, and that is all that is important.

Flightrider
1st Apr 2001, 23:20
Before anyone asks, I don't work for Excel's PR department.

I actually think they might be able to fly a half-decent operation this summer. The 727s have gone which must be a big improvement in conditions for pax and crew alike. The flying programme is either a very early start or a very late finish with noticeably little overnight flying - I think it might be a reasonable working environment.

cart tart 1
2nd Apr 2001, 13:17
Dont get your knickers in a twist NGP i worked there 2 and they are not one of the better companies to work for.By the way have u worked there long?

Xenia
2nd Apr 2001, 14:07
What suit one person may not suit another...
It's great to see people like NGP who enjoyes what she is doing :)
Personally I work for a scheduled airline...where conditions may not be the best in the industry :) and where we really fly a lot...but what to say?? I just love it!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif We are all a happy bunch, ready to stand up for each others and even after a 4 sectors day we are still having a laugh :)
BTW British European hires 18 years old and LCY & LGW bases are opening now.

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

[This message has been edited by Xenia (edited 02 April 2001).]

SPICEBOY
2nd Apr 2001, 19:04
My wife walked out on Sabre cos the equipment was so bad.PA's didn't work,carts u|s etc. I'm sure that now they are Excel everything is soooooo different......

------------------
Once more onto the beach dear friends!

Next Generation PSR
3rd Apr 2001, 12:33
Once again nice to see you Xenia, bringing your support and balanced views.

Cart tart 1, I've been there a few years now, and although It's not perfect (which airline is?) It is 100 per cent better since November 2000.

Because of the bad times I now have the experience to deal with most situations, and most importantly love the people I fly with.