PDA

View Full Version : Corporate to CX

CE-Jockey
19th Oct 2007, 19:46
Hey all I've been reading past threads and I have been trying to learn as much as I can about Cathay without posting any questions. I feel now is the time to see what some of you think about my chances to become a Cathay pilot.

I am looking at making the next year my interview prep. Getting out the Aero books the XYZ and all the other books and working hard to make a good impression. I will begin the application process in 6 months to either SO or FO depending on what you guys think.

I am 29 years old.

I won't be arriving from a 121 environment. I have been working as a co pilot on different citation jets in northern California. Some 135 and mostly part 91. I also fly as a contract captain for a PC12 operator. My 135 experience is very limited. I am a FAA co pilot on the CE-550 but I cannot log the 135 legs on the CE-525 because I did not get an FAA 135 check to log the time as SIC. The company operates the Cj as a single pilot aircraft but insurance requires that I am there.

I have 1750TT an ATP and a CE-525(s) type. I have a CE-500 sic type. I don't have any multi turbine PIC time yet but this should change over the next year as I just got the type rating. I will be logging the 91 legs as sole manipulator PIC. Not sure what Cathay will think of this.

When I checked the Cathay web page they only require 1000 total and an ATP but most of the guys trying to get on with Cathay are in the 5000+ range and 45 years old. Do you guys think I should apply as an SO or an FO or not apply at all?

I wouldn't mind living in HK for a couple of years but no longer. I lived in New Zealand and other south pacific islands for 2 years so I'm fairly comfortable living out of the country.

I'm not doing this for the "glory" of flying a big jet. That does not matter to me at all. What matters to me in this order is: QOL, getting a set schedule with time off, an increase in pay, eventually getting to be based West Coast North America and some travel bennies for my surf trips ;)

el commandante
20th Oct 2007, 02:07
When friends of mine ask me that question I tell them: APPLY, and you will see.
At the moment they are hiring SO with relatively low time.
Why not writing the hours in the citation?? nobody cares. You are flying that bird, donīt you? So write them.

cheers

TWINGLOBES
20th Oct 2007, 04:51
When you apply online, CX will send you an S/O or an F/O update form. If you are given an option just apply for F/O and see what they say. Your QOL will increase and you know what the pay and conditionsare like.

CE-Jockey
20th Oct 2007, 08:56
Well unless someone thinks its foolish I'm going to hit the books hard and apply. My only fear is that they interview me too soon before I can study up hard.

I'm going to hit met: thunderstorms typhoons etc.

Not sure how much I need to know about big jets but I'll be continuing my citation study.

With 121 guys applying with more than 2x my TT I'm a little worried but the current pilot shortage is my only real chance :\.

el commandante
21st Oct 2007, 03:31
O.K., like I said in a different post studying is really not hard. I donīt understand you guys, you are pilots: why do you need to read something about thunderstorms? You should know that!

It took me 3 weeks to study for the interview. All I studied was something about Hong Kong and CX. The rest I knew.
Well my interview is a couple of years ago, but I donīt think it is that much harder now.

CE-Jockey
23rd Oct 2007, 04:40
Thanks for the info:

CX has a strange reputation here in North America. Its kind of hard to find out about details. I can find out whatever I want about netjets from netjets pilots because I run into them all day. I hardly ever see a cathay aircraft not to mention hear anything about it. Your input helps a lot.

As for studying:

I know a lot about flying around the Western 1/2 of N. America, about flying a little straight wing jet and flying into mountain airports ect. I know nothing about typhoons, very little about tropical weather and very little about the airspace system outside of N. America. Not to mention flying something that weighs more than 14k pounds. Only because i haven't had the opportunity to see it first hand. I think I'm up for the challenge but this kid is going to have to hit the books. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress...