PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Sun Sold to First Choice now Official

Desk Driver
19th Mar 2001, 21:53
Mon 19 Mar 2001

First Choice buys Virgin Sun

First Choice has confirmed that it has bought Virgin Sun in a deal worth up to £5.9m.
Virgin Sun’s summer 2001 programme will continue as planned, run by the existing Virgin Sun management team. First Choice will take over the business and its assets from the start of November.
A release from Virgin Sun said that First Choice had ‘acquired the assets, not the aircraft.’ Virgin Holidays managing director Ron Simms that short-haul package holidays were not the right business environment for ‘the Virgin flair to make a real difference.’
Virgin Sun runs short-haul package holidays from Gatwick and Manchester to Mediterranean destinations.
Peter Long, First Choice Chief Executive said: "The acquisition of Virgin Sun is a further consolidating step for our UK businesses. In particular we are delighted to be strengthening our position in the South-East."
Simms added: "We are pleased that this deal will allow Virgin Holidays to concentrate on long-haul vacations, using our expanding long haul network."

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!

swizzle stick
20th Mar 2001, 00:45
Well I predicted this such a long time ago, and am now happy to see that what I said was true - it'll make an excellent larger company.

Just wonder what's happening to the a/c and crews.

It's all a swizz.......

Desk Driver
20th Mar 2001, 13:10
Swizzle!

The aircraft of VSun were not included in the package.

Cockpit will be retained by VS. As for cabin crew I imagine that any vacancies in AMM or VS will be offered to existing (already trained) Cabin Crew I pressume.

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!