PDA

View Full Version : Variation Level One

Tartan Giant
24th Aug 1999, 17:20
Could one of the crewing experts please explain what a "Variation Level 1" or is it an "Alleviation Level 1" ?

opsbod
25th Aug 1999, 02:12
Never heard of a variation level 1, but in crewing and rostering a variation is an arrangement with the CAA to make a special amendment to the company's Flight Time Limitations.

For example an airline operating a night mail service might ask for a variation to allow its crews to operate for 5 consecutive nights, instead of the 3 consecutive nights normally allowed under CAP371.

To obtain the variation the airline will have to guarantee certain arrangements for crew benefit, such as extra days off prior to the commencement of the week's flying and additional rest afterwards as well. There will also normally be limits on how many hours the crew can operate for, which will be less than those under CAP371.

[This message has been edited by opsbod (edited 24 August 1999).]

Tartan Giant
25th Aug 1999, 16:51
Thanks Opsbod.
Do you have any idea how many such variations may appear in a single "roster period".
Having heard of a "variation level 1" it would suggest there are a few "levels"...any idea what the other ones are ?

Jetdriver
26th Aug 1999, 04:52
There are 3 level variations.

These allow for an increase in in the planned FDP of 30,60, and 75 minutes respectively.

The requirements in order to comply with these variations are quite lengthy and restrictive. 3 level 2 flights may be undertaken in a 28 day roster period.
2 level 3 flights may be undertaken in a 28 day roster period (3 for cabin crew).

Any level variation must form part of the companies approved FTL scheme. The compensating factors applied to these schemes (days off, reduction of overall duty hours etc) are designed to prevent the onset of fatigue, and are only allowed within very carefully controlled circumstances (ie specific flights)

opsbod
26th Aug 1999, 05:31
Jetdriver,

Are these in place of what my mob calls discretion, or can you still discress as well.

Are these Level 1, 2 and 3 terms company related ?

[This message has been edited by opsbod (edited 26 August 1999).]

capt pinhead
26th Aug 1999, 05:44
Dicretion can be used on level variations but if you start to use it alot then the CAA get very jumpy and can remove the variation. if you have a variation and say every week you use discretion then either a new variation needs to be applied for or the CAA will pull the variation. Contact the CAA the do not mind and you do not have to give your name or company. they are very helpful i have used them many times to claify things. as the drivers always like to put one on you.

Tartan Giant
26th Aug 1999, 14:14
Thanks a lot Jetdriver, much obliged.
Take care - safe flying.

Jetdriver
28th Aug 1999, 22:55
Pinhead

As you rightly say, discretion can (perhaps MAY to be more accurate) be used to extend a level variation FDP. However the discretion that MAY be exercised is itself modified by the variation permit.

I believe most Captains would be more than helpful in providing you with details. I frequently find I am answering questions on this and other FDP related questions with the Cabin crew. Having said that I am often amazed that they are so unwilling to read that portion of their ops' manual that deals with this subject. I should also point out that given the fact that Cabin crew can usually work longer hours than Flight deck crew, I fail to see how "..the drivers always like to put one on you." Remember that the ops manual has been approved by the CAA and you might save yourself (and the CAA) considerable time by making an attempt to understand it.