PDA

View Full Version : Expressjet embraers downunder??!!

apacau
18th Oct 2007, 08:14
I didn't see this coming - off the online news this afternoon...

Plans for new Australian airline

AUSTRALIANS could soon enjoy more choice when it comes to domestic travel, after a US airline announced plans to introduce another domestic carrier.

Regional US airline Expressjet is hoping to strike a deal with an existing Australian carrier to operate regional flights by the end of 2008.

Expressjet executive director Asia Ian Vanderbeek said discussions have taken place with a number of airlines.

The company is hoping to introduce a similar business model to its US operations, which sees more than 200 of its Embraer 145 jets flying under the Continental Airlines brand, and a further 18 under Delta Airlines.

However, Mr Vanderbeek said if no existing carrier agrees a deal, Expressjet would look to build a fleet of 20 aircraft in the local market and launch flights under its own brand.

"Embraer jets will operate on longer, thinner routes, which will complement existing carriers' route networks, which are currently under developed.

"There's a role for this model with all existing carriers. It's a question of how they perceive this sort of operation working," Mr Vanderbeek said.

Expressjet hope to make an announcement within the next six months.

WynSock
18th Oct 2007, 08:25
Well well, could this be the big 'Announcement' from QFlink?

(This is a rumour network)

Toluene Diisocyanate
18th Oct 2007, 09:05
Maybe Wynsock,
But by end 2008 there'll be nobody at QLink to fly em.
The "big announcement" might appeal to seniority 160 and below because there'll be nooone left but cadets with 80hrs command.
People are sick of waiting for the likes of MD and cronies.:yuk: They're makin hay while the sun shines.

PS the EBA SUX:yuk:

IAW
18th Oct 2007, 09:35
A tie in with Skyairworld with their Embraer 145s?

KABOY
18th Oct 2007, 09:50
Maybe an alternative to NJS for regional routes.

Would be true to form for QF to find a cheaper alternative! Anybody in a turboprop job now should be happy about careers in a jet if it happens. It is a shame that QF wont respect their current workforce if this comes to fruition, but after working with them previously I won't be suprised.:sad:

SOPS
18th Oct 2007, 10:02
If this is true...things could get very interesting:cool:

XRlent100
18th Oct 2007, 11:17
KABOY,

NJS Boeing 717's with 120 seats versus Expressjet EMB145's with 45 seats.

I don't think so!

But as was mentioned, this is a rumour network.

'aveagoodknight
18th Oct 2007, 11:30
C'mon guys and girls. You know the routes. You know the loads. You know the market.

Can you really see this working in Australia?

:ok:

KABOY
18th Oct 2007, 11:52
XRlent,

I didn't say it was going to replace the 717's.

I intimated that they may be an alternative contractor to NJS for any future contract work. I think your 717's are safe, but competitive tendering for something smaller might not be!!

:ugh:

SOPS
18th Oct 2007, 11:56
It just might work you know....the F50 and F28 worked on many routes

Dehavillanddriver
18th Oct 2007, 13:24
The CRJ was such a success in this country so what could possibly stop Expressjet from making a killing with a slightly smaller aircraft with similar pax appeal and field performance!:ugh:

I am not sure where they intend to run these things, but if it is anywhere regional they will need to spend a lot of money on having a chieftan flying behind to carry the bags....cause they wont lift a full load out of most regional runways.

But it will mean more jobs for GA pilots flogging around flying the bags so I suppose there is always a silver lining!

It will be interesting to see what they want to pay - the model in the US is such that the pay is well behind what a Dash-8 pilot would get here in Oz

Howard Hughes
18th Oct 2007, 19:13
It just might work you know....the F50 and F28 worked on many routes
They only worked because of subsidies and the two airline poicy...:rolleyes:

palsky
18th Oct 2007, 19:39
yes but a lot more people fly nowdays

XJTusa
18th Oct 2007, 21:37
I have no idea what the truth is behind this story, and I don't really care at this point, but for those of you who are obviously not at all knowledgeable about the Emb 145, particularly the XR model, it can carry more than a full baggage load, about 88 bags, weighing 30 pounds (13.6kg) each and 50 people very comfortably for 1200-1400nm. It can takeoff with that load (MGTOW a bit north of 53,000 pounds) from a 7000 foot runway at 37*C. As long as it's paved.

The Emb is no relative of the CRJ, which weighs 3000 pounds more empty, uses more fuel, has horrible air conditioning (cannot cool the cabin with just the APU it needs an engine running), and generally just sucks, IMHO.

Dehavillanddriver
18th Oct 2007, 23:11
XJTusa

I have a better idea than you might think - though I do admit I am not all that familiar with the XR.

Thanks for making my point though - all you need to do now is find a bunch of regional airports at sea level with no obstacles and a 2133 m or longer runway.

Kind of limits the operation a bit....

A fair chunk of the regional airports are in the 1800-2000 m range and a reasonable number have some obstacles in the splay.

Takes the gloss off it a bit in my opinion - as does the cabin size....but what would I know

cnic
19th Oct 2007, 04:24
Heard a whisper that they are looking at ozjet (desperate to sell) also heard that a middle east carrier was looking at ozjet too. Can anyone confirm.

jay700
22nd Oct 2007, 14:49
XJTusa is spot on about the 145XR. I have spoken with several 145 drivers and all say that hot and high is no problem.

I fly the CRJ all over the US and I can tell you all that the regional market over here is flooded with both CRJ and ERJ aircraft. There are several airports that are 3000’ AMSL and higher with 7-8000’ RWYS. Temps will hit 35-37C regularly and yet these aircraft can get out with full loads.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if this rumor comes true. But the 145XR would work very well in the Oz environment. ExpressJet are no strangers for making bold moves in the industry. And yes, the pay topic would be very interesting, as I can assure you all that the first years pay at a US regional is pathetic.

Just a footnote XJTusa: The CRJ-200 does have a poor Air Conditioning system. The 700 and 900’s Air Conditioning however is vastly improved and works very well. :ok:

Kiwiguy
24th Oct 2007, 00:45
Just a question... Has this anything to do with Patrick Weil's decision to switch from 733 ops to ERJ-145 ops ?

Makes sense to use an existing operator in a joint venture to ease one through the process of obtaining an AOC...:cool:

Stick Pusher
24th Oct 2007, 01:25
bloody small cabin and regional strips 1500-1800m.... carry the bags....?, yeah right. drop you carry on at the front door!

sounds like the Kendal CRJ prob all over again.

i have pax on both types in the States and it's not right for Aus paxs, sorry.

Mr. Hat
24th Oct 2007, 01:31
The abovementioned issues are the least of their worries. Finding the pilots to fly em will be the real problem.

DUXNUTZ
24th Oct 2007, 17:00
"EMBRAER-145 REGIONAL JET; at last this versatile 50 seat charter jet is to make its debut in Australia. Due early 2008, the size of Australian and distances throughout the South Pacific and South East Asia demand an aircraft of this size and performance. Ideal for smaller groups up to 50 but still economical for fewer passengers, the ERJ-145 is a welcome addition.

Four ERJ-145's are due in 2008 and will join an additional Embraer 170 and two E-190's. With this capacity and versatility, JetCorp is able to provide 50/76/100 seats capacity wherever and whenever needed. Whether accessing remote Australian regional areas or international destinations, the quality of service is exceptional. The range of Embraer jets now available is setting new standards in luxury travel; they provide sophisticated 21st century technology, economy of scale and an excellent travel experience.

In-flight cabin service is provided to your desired standards, with executive class, hot meals and multiple choice beverages available.

Booking are already being confirmed for 2008. To inquire and cost your next journey, talk to our Operations Managers who are all pilots; they will point out the benefits and features of the new ERJ-145's."

Contact [email protected]

IAW
25th Oct 2007, 07:35
The E145s mentioned above are Skyairworld's. Whether there is any tie in with Expressjet remains to be seen.