PDA

View Full Version : Extra heart beat

walkabout
18th Oct 2007, 08:13
My girlfriend has an extra heartbeat - about 10% extra in fact - which presents her with no health issues but it does show up on an ECG.

She's interested in doing a PPL - is this heart abnormality going to give her a problem with a Class 2?
W

gingernut
18th Oct 2007, 20:17
May be worth conducting a search....:)

I suspect much has been writtern about this.

Search for "ectopic" in this forum.

walkabout
19th Oct 2007, 08:59
Thanks Gingernut - I didn't know the medical term so wasn't sure what to search on. You're right its been discussed many times but inconclusively, so I called the CAA who advised that any restriction would depend on the individual's specifics.

We've to send the NHS reports to the CAA - and hope that as the NHS don't regard her condition to be a problem and don't want to check up on her further, the CAA will see it the same way.
W

kpd
31st Oct 2007, 21:24
extra heart beats on ECG sometimes called ectopics are of no clinical significance as long as the shape of the heart beat is normal on the ECG.
Anyone can get them and lack of sleep, caffeine and any stimulant drink can produce them ( So can Brandy but of course pilots don't drink!!!) . So get your ECG when you are rested and minimal caffeine and I cannot see a problem.

moosp
5th Nov 2007, 12:31
From my own experience ectopics can be caused by over-exercise the day before an ECG. So if she is keeping up a high level fitness regime with much exercise, I would advise her to rest up for three or four days before an ECG.

If it is from a normal lifestyle, then the only way to find out is to go to Gatwick and get their opinion. It may not be medically correct, but it is the one you will have to live by if you choose aviation.

Jarvy
5th Nov 2007, 13:21
I have ectopic heart beats. I have got a class one (OML) medical which I can use as an unrestricted class 2 so PPL no problem.
I have to have a 24 hour holter every 4 months and the CAA have set a limit of 3000 ectopic beats in the24 hours. I was around 1500 last time.
Caffeine, alcohol and chocolate don't help so stop these in advance of any ECG.
I am on medication from my doctors for the problem.
Hope this helps.
Jarvy

KaptinZZ
5th Nov 2007, 22:14
Probably only when she's around you walkabout. It's a cross you'll just have to bear if you're that exciting!

CaptainDan
1st Mar 2009, 12:02
Hi!

I've just been down for my initial class 1 at the CAA in Gatwick and the ECG shows me to have ectopic beats. I've been told that I must have a 24 hour ECG carried out by a CAA cardiologist.

I've had no symptons and it was a bit of a surprise to be honest. However, I do drink a ot of coca cola which is full of caffeine which i've read could be a cause.

If this is the cause, will they stop if I cut out caffeine?

Since being told ive been panicking and measuring my heart rate every 5 seconds!

Cheers

CaptainDan

aviate1138
1st Mar 2009, 12:29
Cut out the Cola! Breathe by using your diaphragm and not heaving your chest in and out. Stop taking your pulse every 5 minutes! Try and relax by reading a book/watching soporific TV and don't drink tea or coffee unless it is decaff stuff. Avoid alcohol and become a total bore! Do this for a few days before your test and keep us posted!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Mar 2009, 14:31
I've had Ectopic beats for nigh on 50 years and they never showed on my ECGs. Only people who seem concerned are travel insurers, who slap a premium on for anything involving the heart!!

Tugnut
2nd Mar 2009, 09:51
I've also had a few ectopic beats. It came to a head last year when they increased to such an extent that I had an Echo and 24 holster. In conjuction with this i gave up caffeine. During the 24 hrs period I was being monitored I had one ectopic beat and the echo was perfectly normal.

For me caffeine was my vice. Leading up to my increased ectopics, I had been drinking a lot of coffee. Cut it out or drink decafe. It works!:ok:

Tugger

CaptainDan
2nd Mar 2009, 19:09
Cheers for the post will do!

Im off for the tests on wednesday. 668 quid its going to cost me. I nearly died of a heart attack when they told me :(

CaptainDan

Rugbyears
2nd Mar 2009, 20:45
I have a constant tightness in my chest for two months. Not so much pain, just tightness

Please seek medical advice immediately; any presentation of chest distress is not right. It is quite possible it is something simple, nevertheless, chest discomfort is something one should observe astutely; please attain a medical opinion - Regards:ok:

Loose rivets
2nd Mar 2009, 21:13
14th feb 'ECG'

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/361784-ecg.html#post4719014

CaptainDan
5th Mar 2009, 19:10
Hi Guys and Gals!

Just got back from having my 24 hour ECG analysed and the CAA Cardiologist says that everything is fine. Apparantly there was only about 1 ectopic beat in 24 hours and that even the ECG i had at Gatwick was normal.

He told me that it was just the CAA being too overcautious and picky!

Anyway what a relief it is. My goal of becoming an airline pilot is still on track.

Cheers for the info and advice

CaptainDan