and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7049694.stm

SOPS
18th Oct 2007, 08:02
Very, very, very cool.....Wish I was there.:ok:

yamaha
18th Oct 2007, 08:05
Congratulations to all involved.

This aircraft is symbolic of a fantastic period of British aviation that many in the industry had forgotten about or are perhaps even unaware of.

I hope it will be a long and successful project.

dh dragon
18th Oct 2007, 08:19
Can,t wait to see a Vulcan fly again.I remember the first time,1957 or 8 at
Farnborough when Roly Falk rolled the prototype.Well done to the team at Vulcan to the Sky.

Blighty Pilot
18th Oct 2007, 08:25
On airliners.net it mentions 1130am. Can anyone confirm this? I need to get my arse in gear if I want to head up there to see history in the making. :)

brain fade
18th Oct 2007, 08:26
Good Luck with the 'first flight'.

What a job! :ok:

The Real Slim Shady
18th Oct 2007, 09:09
Whilst I have no wish to "rain on the parade" it does strike me, having looked at the crew list, that the only pilot in current flying practice on a large aeroplane is Martin Withers.

The skills of the others are, or perhaps were, beyond reproach, but I would have thought it prudent, bearing in mind the aircraft will be displayed, to stick to guys with ATPLs, in current flying practice on large airliners, who previously flew the aircraft.

BitMoreRightRudder
18th Oct 2007, 09:18
Good point Slim but how many ex-Vulcan guys are there out there still flying jets with an airline? Would most not be retired by now?

Aerostar6
18th Oct 2007, 09:23
I'm not an expert, but I think both pilots tagged for the first flight are Vulcan veterans who are also current airline drivers.

amf1966
18th Oct 2007, 09:24
Fantastic. Great for all involved with that project - hoep and trust everything goes according to plan.

Wish I was there - it would be good to hear that mighty roar...

Feather #3
18th Oct 2007, 09:41
and as to recency been doing a bit of Concorde sim driving?? :)

G'day ;)

monkeyboy
18th Oct 2007, 09:43
Good point Slim but how many ex-Vulcan guys are there out there still flying jets with an airline? Would most not be retired by now?

Don Dibbens still flies commercially.

MB

Contacttower
18th Oct 2007, 09:44
I don't suppose its going to be live on TV is it?

Avionyx
18th Oct 2007, 09:48
I don't suppose its going to be live on TV is it?

Sky have been claiming coverage at 11:30am

The Real Slim Shady
18th Oct 2007, 09:48
The crew list on the website only mentions Dave Thomas, Mike Pollitt, Al McDicken and Martin as pilots, and only Martin is currently flying for an airline, or flying large aircraft for that matter.

There are other guys around who flew the aircraft - long time ago- and hold ATPLs and are current on other types; whether they would be willing to volunteer, or be acceptable to the TVOC and CAA is unknown.

Fitter2
18th Oct 2007, 09:52
I will be delighted to see it in the air again. Am I the only one depressed that BBC Radio 4 reported the last Vulcan action as Black Buck in 1984?

Wet Lettuce
18th Oct 2007, 09:53
The TVOC forums are closed....

The Vulcams ain't working...

This is the day!

ChristiaanJ
18th Oct 2007, 09:58
For the Vulcam, look here :
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/vulcancameras.asp

Inverted81
18th Oct 2007, 10:03
yep... just seen her being towed out. glorious blue skies...... sky news is on .... cant wait

Wet Lettuce
18th Oct 2007, 10:04
The Vulcams were in the hanger, The new "Vulcam" seems to be a professional high quality feed from a sponsor.

GREAT!!!!! :D

Wet Lettuce
18th Oct 2007, 10:08
Oh well at least the professionals didn't move it to the spotters balcony....:uhoh:

Avionyx
18th Oct 2007, 10:19
Sky News have just said they won't be deviating from the Benazir Bhutto story all this morning.....

Having been watching it since 0900 I hope that isn't true :uhoh:

Inverted81
18th Oct 2007, 10:23
makes me angry..... they've been repeating themselves for ages with the bhutto story...........

time for some BRITISH history in the making to be broadcast i think! c'mon SKY get your act together

Fris B. Fairing
18th Oct 2007, 11:19
Did anyone get the rego of Benazir Bhutto's aeroplane?

Randomtox
18th Oct 2007, 11:29
She's OFF !!!!!!
Bloody fantastic ! :D:D
Congrats to all involved !

brickhistory
18th Oct 2007, 11:32
Congratulations from across the Atlantic!

CRX
18th Oct 2007, 11:32
I just interupted a CAA TRE assessment to watch it! Awesome, in tears...

Wet Lettuce
18th Oct 2007, 11:33
Really glad I wasted all this time. Spent hours waiting for this historic moment.

Waited til 6:30 am just hoping I could witness this event..

And missed it!

panda-k-bear
18th Oct 2007, 11:34
Fabulous news! Best wishes to all involved and congratulations on the result of such a monumental effort!

PPRuNe Pop
18th Oct 2007, 11:36
I switched on Sky as she was just airborne. Magnificent! Flew with gear down for around a minute (12:30) before raising it. Apparently she will stay up for about 20 minutes and Sky will show the landing.

Great to see!

Freeway
18th Oct 2007, 11:38
Great and historic news from Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire. Just before 1230hrs local time today, Vulcan XH558, lifted off for the first time in 14 years into a bright blue sky, after a multi million pound restoration.
Many congratulations indeed to all those involved with the project, really a fabulous day. She will be the true star of many an airshow in the years to come. Go and support her and the team.:D

BOAC
18th Oct 2007, 11:42
Big Big congrats to all:ok:

Ian Brooks
18th Oct 2007, 11:42
She looked great on take off which is more than I can say for some of the camera work

Ian

GLENO
18th Oct 2007, 11:47
Congratulations to all!!:D:D:D Great to see the big beast back in the sky!! :ok::ok::):)

Fly Ginger
18th Oct 2007, 11:50
So many doubted it could be done, what a fabulous sight. Well done to all involved, and the very best of luck for the forthcoming years ahead.:D

Wiggly Bob
18th Oct 2007, 11:52
Anyone got footage they can put on youtube? I don't have Sky:(

Lorenzo
18th Oct 2007, 12:04
Just picked up the thread on my lunch break. What a momentous day for all involved. I'm guilty of not contributing ££ when it REALLY mattered (like up to now) but am getting the chequebook out now and steeling myself for the "you gave money to WHAT" moment when the missus sees the bank statement.

First saw the Vulcan about 1967 at an airshow in my native Hamilton, Ontario, Canada with my Granddad. It's looming presence in the sky and the smokey, Promethian roar of the engines caused one seven-year-old to burst into tears and hide behind said Granddad. Since then saw it many, many times at airshows and just bathed in the awesome (this time an appropriate use of the word) sound and visual presence Vulcan offered.
God speed to the cast and crew of TVOC - donation imminent; domestic likely!!!

Loz

GBALU53
18th Oct 2007, 12:13
Fantastic effort by all.
Well done to all the engineers involved in this long project.
We must not forget the aircrew as well.
Congratulations from all on Jersey Channel Islands:ok:

Return to base
18th Oct 2007, 12:15
Where are the photographs, I´m stuck in the office in Viking land with no Sky news to watch and the Vulcam access is very difficult, probably everybody and his best friend attempting to access it.

Good news though.

rtb

ExSimGuy
18th Oct 2007, 12:22
From where I am (and a 250kb sat internet link), the "Vulcan Cameras" had a pathetic bandwidth capability (including the one on the sponsor's site!-what an advert for them)

Sky (web-site) showed (from what I saw of it -I was switching back to the Vulcan site and froze Sky to give Vulcan the opportunity to give me bandwidth - which it didn't!) some 30 seconds of the take-off,and that was it!

Okay, Ms Bhutto may challenge the leadership of the country in the future, but we are also interested in our country's history! Shame on Sky for giving so little coverage to the technology and skills of Britain!

I guess I'll just have to wait until my vacation time coincides with the Vulcan performing a take-off and landing at the RAFA Air Show at Shoreham ;) :uhoh:

Mintflavour
18th Oct 2007, 12:23
Don't mean to make you all jealous but the vulcan flew over my work just north of Northampton at about 1pm heading NW at about 1000-1500ft with under carraige down, Sounded great. Made my day.

mint

ExSimGuy
18th Oct 2007, 12:24
Don't mean to make you all jealous

Lucky Bar-Steward!

jez d
18th Oct 2007, 12:26
Here ya go :ok:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RUOjgWkc7c4

Return to base
18th Oct 2007, 12:39
Exsimguy,
Sky are probably pandering to the large number of Ms Bhutto fellow countrymen who now live in the UK and who are not really interested in our country's history.
Mind you I have the impression that very few of our politicians worry about it either:{

rtb

treadigraph
18th Oct 2007, 12:53
Congratulations, wonderful news on a lovely day. :ok:

Even though my heart is piston-powered, there is summat special about the Vulcan

Return to base
18th Oct 2007, 12:55
Topslide6
The Sky jounalist who stated that can we the public, really justify spending lottery money on it is probably one of those who agree on more lottery money being milked off to pay for an event where competitors can say to each other
"my undetected drug is better than your undetected drug":=

rtb

Diamond_Dog
18th Oct 2007, 12:58
Fantastic news! Can't wait to get home from work and seem it for myself!

RealSlimShady.. With regard to the crew. I don't know about the rest of the guys but if Martin Withers is anything to go by then he is a highly experienced Vulcan Pilot and if he's on current form then even better.. He commanded the first Vulcan (607) mission on Port Stanley.

Absolutely top job by all who have and are working on this project. I take my hat off to you all..:)

Lima Juliet
18th Oct 2007, 13:22
Congratulations to the Vulcan to the Sky Team - in particular Taff Stone and Dave Thomas (old muckers of mine). I'm just so sad that I missed it as I am in the desert at HM's request...Rubbish!:{

LJ

The Real Slim Shady
18th Oct 2007, 13:33
DiamondDog, I'm not passing any comment against Martin's flying skills or anyone else's for that matter, simply observing that he "appears" ( according to the website) to be the only one in current flying practice on a large aircraft and in possession of an ATPL.

And the tense should be "was"

but if Martin Withers is anything to go by then he is a highly experienced Vulcan Pilot

Nevertheless, well done to everyone who got the beastie airborne again.

Dop
18th Oct 2007, 13:59
FAN-FLIPPIN'-TASTIC!!!

Excellent news.

ALTSEL
18th Oct 2007, 14:07
GREAT BRITAIN PLC...................and we will win the rugby this weekend as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WICKED.

you boy's at Bruntingthorpe deserve a medal.

JW411
18th Oct 2007, 14:15
Surely Al McDicken is/was a test pilot for BAe?

If I were to trust anyone with my Vulcan I would rather have a fully qualified test pilot rather than any old sh*g whose only claim to fame is a current ATPL and experience on large aeroplanes.

Thousands of us have the latter qualification but not many have the former!

lowlypax
18th Oct 2007, 14:16
Artilcle on Mail web site.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=488349&in_page_id=1770

Fake Sealion
18th Oct 2007, 14:32
Fortunate (?) enough to work from home. Just brewed up to take 10 and watch Sky coverage at 12:20 today and blow me...phone rang and emerged 25 minutes later having missed the action!!!

Saw a 4 second glimpse on Sky at lunchtime but not proper look yet.

Wonderful achievement.....Long may she grace the skies.:D

Credit to Sky for at least covering the flight BUT SURELY they could have cut between Brunters and Karachi this morning to show pre-flight goings on?

Duh!:*

FS

Snifferdog
18th Oct 2007, 14:50
News and video on BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7050000/newsid_7051100?redirect=7051162.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1

FlyboyUK
18th Oct 2007, 14:55
Having been at Bruntingthorpe when she landed there what seems like many years ago, this is fantastic news. Well done to everyone involved with getting her back in the air:ok:

Groundloop
18th Oct 2007, 15:01
Hearty congrats.

Now, where did I leave that Victor?:ok:

applevid
18th Oct 2007, 15:02
Good Job...now they can remake "Thunderball"...again.

The AvgasDinosaur
18th Oct 2007, 15:13
Saw a 4 second glimpse on Sky at lunchtime but not proper look yet.
Lucky b:mad:gg:mad:r Thanks to Mr Bransons tiff with Sky there is no Sky in our house. I just hope Sir Richard gets his hand in his pocket to make up for it.
Be lucky
David

K.Whyjelly
18th Oct 2007, 15:19
What a fantastic sight I saw today at 1250 local. On a warm and sunny October day I looked out towards the East/North East and saw the unmistakable shape of the Vulcan in a graceful right hand turn at about 3000ft. Another couple of turns and then a load of power went on and with a very un-green and non eco plume of black smoke she climbed away and behind a fluffy Cu. Majestic and graceful, a sight I never thought I would ever see again (at least not in UK airspace) was one to behold.Next time I want to be a bit closer so I can hear it as well as see it. Roll on the 2008 airshow season coupled with a sympathetic Roster writer!!:D

Diamond_Dog
18th Oct 2007, 15:20
Yeah.. Not forgetting Concorde.. ;)

Slim.. Ez.. I'm just bigging up Martin Withers (and I was using him as a benchmark for the rest of the guys as like I said, I don't know what their experience is).. Get the book! "Vulcan 607" by Rowland White..

I'm fATPL and even after 1500h on a 738 I wouldnt feel fit to fly that. It's from a completely different generation. Best leave it to the old boys and their apprentices.

P.S. I'd be happy to start as an apprentice though.. :}

modtinbasher
18th Oct 2007, 16:26
Good one K

(a very un-green and non eco plume of black smoke)

You've bloody done it now, after all that work......

Fantastic though!!!! Superb chaps!

MTB

Brain Potter
18th Oct 2007, 16:41
I believe the crew qualifications were stipulated by the CAA. Al McDicken - a TP - is an entirely appropriate man for the job, as is DT - the most recent display pilot. I would say that Vulcan/display experience is more relevant than currency on a commercial transport aircraft. I don't think that MW flew with the Vulcan Display Flight when in the RAF and it does rather seem that, amongst all the other former Vulcan pilots, his name adds the Black Buck authenticity to the project. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I wonder if all the pilots will hold a display authorization, or will it be a Captain (display pilot) plus Co-pilot arrangement, as with VDF?

There a still a few former Vulcan pilots still serving in the RAF, one of whom was the display pilot of another 4-jet type. Another one still maintains that if he hadn't been posted to CFS 2-weeks before the invasion then his crew would've been on Black Buck instead. Maybe that's 25 years of bar-talk though!

Congrats to all involved. A massive party tonight I trust?

justplanecrazy
18th Oct 2007, 17:13
yup, took off, disappeared for half an hour, came back and did a flypast before landing.

Mod Comment: Your link states: Due to people copying & adding elsewhere, have to add security, so will be back online to view tomoro. sorry

ExSimGuy
18th Oct 2007, 17:51
Been suggested to me that it might be flying again tomorrow - though I'd be surprised - anyone have any info on that?

A PM would be appreciated if there's any such plan - Thanks!

ExSimGuy
18th Oct 2007, 18:07
Oh! I've been told she's flying again tomorrow, and several more days :ok:

Any idea if there's schedules? It's not for me,but for a young aircraft nut, who will have to drive from MAN to see her. (Nice guy -kindly transported me from MAN to my destination a month ago,and I owe him a favour!)

Moondance
18th Oct 2007, 18:14
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/1-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/2-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/3-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/4-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/5-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/10-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/6-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/7-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/8-1.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/9-1.jpg

bluepeely
18th Oct 2007, 18:25
Great pics moondance. Cant wait for the inevitable airshow display with the red arrows. All them years looking at a slowly rusting vulcan outside blackpool airport wondering how loud it actually was and thinking i'd never hear it....Cant wait!

tripletango
18th Oct 2007, 18:52
Brilliant photos - congrats to the whole team as well.

Amos Keeto
18th Oct 2007, 19:01
Getting it in the air is ONE thing...KEEPING it there is another! How many air show organisers are going to pay the horrendous insurance and fuel bills they are going to have to pass on? :bored:

The_Steed
18th Oct 2007, 19:55
I remember seeing the Vulcan at Leuchars Airshow. It was (and is) the loudest thing I have ever heard - felt the noise go right through my body. Can't believe that it's flying again though - awesome!

Ringway Flyer
18th Oct 2007, 19:57
Bloody Good Show!!! I was born & brought up not far from Woodford and the Vulcan was part of my growing up. During my spotter days, we were standing around on the south side at MAN one summer evening, waiting for Something to Happen. An usual, but obviously military, call sign was heard on the radio. 'Be with you in three minutes', said the voice. We all looked out to the 24 approach, but nothing was in sight.... '30 seconds' said the voice. Still no sign of anything. 30 seconds later, from behind the hangars, from the south, with no audible warning, appeared a Vulcan at about 1,000 feet. The ground shook (really!) as it initiated a climbing turn to the east, loads of black smoke... Wonderful!
Apparently MAN was one of many dispersal airfields during the cold war and this was a regular exercise, but one which I'd not seen before - or since. Roll on the 2008 show season...:D

PAXboy
18th Oct 2007, 20:12
Talking of the show season ... may one presume that any 'days out' that she has will be telegraphed here? I have a relative due to visit the UK next summer and I think that a calendar of events could help to cement the dates!

Does this a/c have her own website?

stellair
18th Oct 2007, 20:37
Fantastic........Very well done :) I own a ten pound share in that aeroplane......:D

The Real Slim Shady
18th Oct 2007, 20:59
And Brian Potter I would say that Amos Keeto and I are the sole voices of caution and prudence in the midst of the euphoria.

This aircraft will be displayed to the public: the former display pilot hasn't flown the aircraft for at least 14 years, doesn't hold an ATPL, has no recent experience of large aircraft ( a 737NG at max landing weight is about the same as a Vulcan at display weight - also about the same physical size), the TP last flew the airplane in 1974 ( website) and doesn't fly large airplanes, probably doesn't have an ATPL or recent large airplane experience.

MW on the other hand wasn't a display pilot but has flown the airplane ( albeit 20 + yrs ago) but is in current flying practice on a large commercial jet and holds an ATPL.

To my mind that makes MW firm favourite to display the airplane under the watchful eye of the former display pilot with a co pilot who also flew the jet and is in current flying practice on something bigger than a Tutor. Call me cautious.............

Chris Royle
18th Oct 2007, 21:04
See http://www.tvoc.co.uk

Amos Keeto
18th Oct 2007, 22:07
Hear, hear! I am reluctant to say much more for fear of having to grab my tin hat and dive for cover! However, if they can't fly a Sea Vixen without serious sponsorship after Red Bull, what chance does a Vulcan have?
They are now appealing for funds to keep her flying! This is like pouring water on the desert and I'm surprised more people aren't questioning how the lottery money is being spent? :rolleyes: Apart from RIAT, I can't see any air show organiser affording the Vulcan. You have to realise also that she is now a civilian aircraft and subject to much stricter CAA rules.....then there are the engineering costs, spares etc....and more gas-guzzling fuel bills for, er, the next flight! Tin hat on!:ooh:

ChristiaanJ
18th Oct 2007, 22:42
Amos,
I have used the same arguments whenever a return-to-flight for Concorde was mentioned.
Then I looked at the BBMF site, and saw the number of "sorties" they flew per year, and was amazed.

I agree they have some very hard work ahead.
I also agree the airshows will not pay for it all alone.
But if they can turn XH558 into a high-visibilty icon, sponsorship and other sources of funding will also become available.

What about the Connie? She flies... !!

fireflybob
18th Oct 2007, 23:38
Fanastic news to see the Vulcan is flying again! I just watched some of the Vulcan clips on youtube - reminds me of a time when our country really was "great" and proud that we were able to produce aircraft like the Vulcan which was years ahead of its time.

Amos Keeto
18th Oct 2007, 23:52
Yes the Connie flies...but...and a BIG BUT...the Olympus 20201 fitted to the Vulcan has a fuel burn of 13,950 lbs/hr at maximum power (100-100.5%) at sea level on an ISA standard 15c, 1013.2mb day.

This equates to a rate of 55,800 lbs/hr for a Vulcan with Take Off power selected at the end of the runway. Quite a lot eh, which roughly works out at 60p per litre of Avtur equatating to £5.24 per second!!!

DozyWannabe
19th Oct 2007, 00:14
...reminds me of a time when our country really was "great" and proud that we were able to produce aircraft like the Vulcan which was years ahead of its time.
But saddled with war debts that would eventually bring an end to any kind of pre-eminence. I worry about maintaining too much national pride in a military sense in a time when it doesn't do us much good.

Having said that, she's a wonderful piece of machinery and I hope they can keep her going for as long as possible as a reminder of why we chose to avoid conflict unless it was completely necessary, as well as a reminder of what can be done even when no longer first in the world.

212man
19th Oct 2007, 01:17
Will she be carrying rear crew, I wonder? Difficult to justify I'd have thought.

Blacksheep
19th Oct 2007, 01:37
Difficult to justify I'd have thoughtI wouldn't want to be up in a Vulcan without someone looking after the electrical system.

...and preferably kitted out with a bag full of spare fuses. :suspect:

212man
19th Oct 2007, 02:11
Ah, I hadn't realised one of them was a flight engineer: I thought they were all tactical crew (Nav, AEO etc.)

Brain Potter
19th Oct 2007, 07:02
Slim Shady,

I don't believe that TVOC actually went out to find pilots that would've been more suitable (using your criteria) than those that are currently involved. As I said, I know of at least 3 ex-Vulcan captains still in the RAF who are current on aircraft much larger than a 737, at least one of which is an experienced display pilot. None of then are involved, none were asked to be involved and I couldn't say if any of them wish to be involved.

As the jet will be operated on a permit-to-fly, there is no read across of any instrument flying currency, and so I remain to be convinced of any over-riding need for the pilot's to be current on a medium-sized aircraft. I won't go so far as to say that the day job of an ATPL holder is irrelevant to this operation but it so far removed from the VFR, low-level, hands-on environment that it is not a requirement. If you were proposing that the pilot must have experience in displaying a medium-sized aircraft then I could see more validity in you argument, but line flying is hardly comparable. In fact, DT was the Lancaster display pilot until quite recently - more suitable experience than flying to Ibiza on autopilot I suggest. Furthermore, at the CAAs stipulation, all the pilots recently had some time in an old fashioned heavy-jet simulator.

The thing that does occurs to me about the crewing is that they are all quite old. Maybe if this is still going after a couple of seasons they ought to trickle though one or two slightly younger chaps, so that the aeroplane doesn't have to be grounded when it's pilots are too old.

sootybird
19th Oct 2007, 07:16
is the vulcan due to fly again today 19/10/07?

Conc
19th Oct 2007, 08:14
Congratulations to everyone involved in successfully getting the Vulcan back into the air!

Nigel Foster
19th Oct 2007, 09:13
A Remarkable achievement , Congratulations to all Involved . Proud to be British.:D

The Real Slim Shady
19th Oct 2007, 09:29
Brian, your point on the age of the pilots is also valid but whether TVOC has plans to find some younger guys who the aircraft and train them all adds to the cost of the project.

As to the current flying practice etc, the Vulcan at typical display weight has a thrust to weight ratio of around 0.52 to 1. A 737-800 at "display weight" has a thrust to weight ration of 0.51 / 1 - pretty similar. Also unlike the Airbus the Boeing is more of a mechanical airplane and less use is made of the AT system. In short more pure handling for the crews.

With respect, I think that it would be wiser to consider pilots ( even if that involves asking them rather than waiting for them to volunteer ) in current flying practice on large aircraft rather than on light aircraft.

Nevertheless, the main thing is that the aircraft is back flying; we will have to agree to disagree on certain points, after all, we aren't making the decisions.

S'land
19th Oct 2007, 11:35
Sitting here in South Germany and only having PPRuNe to keep up with news on the Vulcan, I was struck by the comment from Sky News in an earlier post:

"Still, the Sky jounalist just stated that it burns 40 tonnes of fuel an hour, has a large carbon footprint, and can we the public, really justify spending lottery money on it."

The answer on a purely economic and ecological level is, of course, No.

However, on an emotional basis the answer is YES, YES, YES. The Vulcan is from a time when Britain was among the best of aircraft designers and builders. She was, and is beautiful and the sound of those engines, burning all that fuel, was fantastic.

Congratulations to the team that restored her. I look forward to home visits next year when she may be flying and I can see and hear her again.

blackmail
19th Oct 2007, 11:51
hello every one,

what strikes me in viewing different air display videos of this magnificent aircraft, is the professionalism of the display flying by the raf crews, compared to the tap a310 flying circus a few weeks ago.
kind regards,
bm

Xeque
19th Oct 2007, 11:55
Back in 1960 when I was 16 and just out of school my Dad took the family to see the airshow at Hucknall. This was the one and only time I saw a Vulcan in flight. Awesome was just insignificant as an adjective. The aircraft made several passes then finished with a run along the runway at (I guess) about 100 feet then simply stood on her tail, applied full chat and just went straight up until she disappeared into the cloudbase. The sound was incredible. It was a sort of deep vibration - the kind of sound that makes your lower abdomen clench and quiver. (maybe even orgasmic ;)) It was so impressive that I nearly abandoned my plans to go to sea and join the RAF instead. But I didn't :sad:
It will be difficult to keep raising the cash to keep her going but the Battle of Britain Flight seems to have managed it so (perhaps) all things are possible. I hope so.
Well done the team :ok:

justplanecrazy
19th Oct 2007, 12:11
Ok sorry peeps. Someone was copying the photos and posting them elsewhere, so appologies for anyone who went to view them yesterday and they couldn't get in.

The gallery is now available to view again. Took the photos from the top of the control tower, actually on the roof of it so good views.

http://www.justplanecrazy.co.uk

Enjoy

Dave Gittins
19th Oct 2007, 13:45
"Still, the Sky jounalist just stated that it burns 40 tonnes of fuel an hour, has a large carbon footprint, and can we the public, really justify spending lottery money on it."

Miserable Git

Still remember seeing XA903 test flying Concorde's Olympus engines at Farnborough and have seen Roly Falk's exploits on video many times.

Ah the sight, the smell and the sound

:D

Brain Potter
19th Oct 2007, 17:19
With tongue-firmly-in-cheek:

Bruntingthorpe is unlicensed and, quite correctly, the AFISO clearly said on the clip:

"The runway is clear; take-off at your discretion".

But the print is entitled "Cleared for take-off".

Scandalous deception a la ITV perhaps? :)

BEagle
19th Oct 2007, 19:01
Cleared by the VTOC engineers to fly is good enough for me!

Now I cannot paint even a fence, and the late Eric H Day always said that the Vulcan was very difficult to paint, but the artist has done a really superb job with this print, in my view!

WG774
19th Oct 2007, 20:10
Over the years TVOC has been progressing, with regards to the Internet and sites such as this one, can anyone remember reading positive comments about Dr Pleming and crew? I’m not sure I can.

From the picture painted by opinions expressed by many not related to the project, a clear impression was intimated that Pleming and crew were a real bunch of jokers…

Yesterday’s flight appears to be anything but a joke.

All credit to the TVOC organisation. To say I’m impressed would be an understatement - a Herculean achievement – I can’t wait to feel the ground rumble at next year’s show season :ok:

Mike7777777
20th Oct 2007, 18:08
TVOC has achieved something that I, in my limited opinion, didn't think was possible. Well done. I look forward to max power climbs at Waddington next year.
Any chance of a quick blast over the Boers later this evening? That might shake them up a bit.

Dash-7 lover
20th Oct 2007, 18:27
Congrats to all involved. Use to scare the sh*t out of me as a child at airshows. Loved the ripping noise through the air of the engines at full pelt sat at the end of the runway at NQY!!

Now the work needs to continue to keep her in the air - well done!!

Cypherus
20th Oct 2007, 21:27
Don't care who told em to go fly the thing, just great after all this time they have managed it, sadly it still seems the doubters do not share similar feelings about this achivement and still want to bitch about things, they should really get out more, or better still stay in doors away from the rest of us.

ChristiaanJ
20th Oct 2007, 21:48
Another case of:
"Ten wise man said it couldn't be done.
Then a fool came along who didn't know that, so he did it."

I'm with the TVOC fools, all the way......

old-timer
20th Oct 2007, 21:52
Well Done One & All, British Aviation At It's Very Best - Rock'n'roll !!!

Dr Jekyll
20th Oct 2007, 22:07
sadly it still seems the doubters do not share similar feelings about this achivement and still want to bitch about things, they should really get out more, or better still stay in doors away from the rest of us.
Roosevelt put it best:
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

ChristiaanJ
20th Oct 2007, 22:12
Dr Jekyll, well quoted. Thanks.

Blacksheep
22nd Oct 2007, 00:54
British Aviation At It's Very Best - Rock'n'roll !!!Sorry to piss on the parade, but what's the bet it will be in the USA before the decade's out - or very soon after?

jindabyne
22nd Oct 2007, 11:43
Sorry - I inadvertently deleted this earlier post!!
This is a Limited Edition print recently released by the VTST to swell the 558 Project coffers - all proceeds to VTST. http://www.tvoc.co.uk
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/jindabyne/Print1.jpg

old-timer
22nd Oct 2007, 19:40
But Blacksheep, It's BRITISH ROCK'N'ROLL, !! :-)
They may have our Shack' & others but they'll never get our thunder,
keep em' British !!

ChristiaanJ
22nd Oct 2007, 21:10
That "limited print" is still the perfect illustration of an old saying.

The Brits design aeroplanes, then discover at the last moment they have to add a cockpit.

The Americans design a cockpit, then add on the aircraft.

Robert Cooper
23rd Oct 2007, 02:05
Great job of work TVOC :ok: :ok:
Good to see dedication and perseverance paying off.

Bob C (Ex 1 Gp hack)

Biker Boy
24th Oct 2007, 17:43
Brain Potter,

Glad to hear I got the clearance "at your discretion" correct. I will certainly remember those words as long as I live! As a TVOC Avionics Technician, new to FIS work and recently fresh from the dreaded RT course, I was only too aware of not being able to give clearance for take off per se. To say I was under pressure in the runway waggon would be a definite understatement. However, it was all worthwhile and a grand old lady took to the sky with some style and amidst hugh emotion.

However, surely the title of the painting is correct? As he had been cleared to take off at his own discretion, the pilot must then have cleared himself and was therefore "cleared for take off"??? QED :ok:

Biker Boy
24th Oct 2007, 17:55
BEagle,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in TVOC engineers we do endeavour to persevere! And, like countless RAF techs who knew XH558 before us, we do love our aeroplane and will always look after her to the highest standards.:):ok::ok:

Fantome
24th Oct 2007, 22:05
Just a little hark back to the day that great man of the flying camera, Neville Parnell, holidaying in New Zealand, on the tour boat on Milford Sound, heard thunder from a clear sky. Round Mitre Peak came the Vulcan letting down along the Sound to two or three hundred feet. Neville, standing on a high part of the deck captured the moment perfectly. Aeroplane Monthly published the result in a centre spread.

jindabyne
25th Oct 2007, 10:07
Just to 'clear' up the points made earlier about the title of the painting/prints. The title was carefully chosen by the VTST, on the basis that the aircraft had been given the all-clear to fly again by the CAA - as simple as that.

lameduck
7th Nov 2007, 17:33
In answer to Amos' comments on the running costs of our beloved bird.
Due to those nice people at Air BP it probably....9 seconds to wheels off....back to cruise power in 35 seconds....cost 52.50 for the take off and a total cost of 918.50 for the whole flight. Not exactly the Carbon foot stomp of a fully laden warbird.

lameduck
7th Nov 2007, 17:58
Why on earth would we tie ourselves down to requiring an ATPL and current airline or heavy experience when there is no requirement whatsoever for it. Would practice at throwing a 737 through a SID or ILS approach make for a better Vulcan pilot, I doubt it. A permit to fly ex-military aircraft requires a PPL, plain and simple, and what ever the CAA deem necessary for previous experience and refresher training. Discuss

27mm
8th Nov 2007, 06:12
Lameduck, I'm well impressed with 9 seconds to wheels off, as would any Typhoon pilot!

Jet2Leeds
12th Nov 2007, 22:46
Anybody know when shes likely to fly again. Seem to remember that the first flt took her to Cottesmore and back. just that as below special airspaces has been set up ????????????? for areturn visit maybe

B)07/11/13 09:40 UTC C)07/11/13 10:30
E)TEMPO CONTROLLED AIRSPACE (CLASS A) ESTABLISHED AS FOLLOWS
TEMPO CONTROLLED CTA/CTR CIRCLE 10NM RAD CENTRED On COTTESMORE.CONTROL AUTHORITY COTTESMORE ATC

F)SFC G)FL050

lameduck
13th Nov 2007, 08:44
Sorry to disappoint you jet2leeds, but she's tucked up in bed with the heaters on. Maybe in a couple of weeks if the weather is reasonable.

BEagle
13th Nov 2007, 09:24
Or perhaps sooner........

....I heard a whisper.

lameduck
13th Nov 2007, 10:18
That was the plan........unfortunately we are at the mercy of others.
:oh:

Seloco
15th Nov 2007, 10:07
........unfortunately we are at the mercy of others.

Waiting for a kind Avtur donor perhaps?!