PDA

View Full Version : GAS aircraft down between YWBR & YPKG. (Merged)

Chadzat
18th Oct 2007, 00:48
Just heard along the grapevine a GAS aircraft went down between the above places recently. Heard only 1 POB.

Anyone in a position to share any details? I am hoping the best for the pilot and anyone else on board, pretty remote country down that way. :uhoh:

ozslf
18th Oct 2007, 01:55
Is this the same incident?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/plane-lands-while-on-fire/2007/10/18/1192300907144.html
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22606935-29277,00.html
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/18/2062643.htm?site=idx-nt

"A pilot safely landed a cargo plane in the desert town of Alice Springs while it was on fire, police say. The twin-engine cargo plane was coming in to land shortly before 12.30am (CST) today when the blaze ignited."

[only a little more on the news websites]

Pablo E
18th Oct 2007, 02:17
Heard that police are still trying to reach extremely remote location to investigate.

onetrack
18th Oct 2007, 02:53
The West Oz Police heli is on its way to the crash site. No further info available on the pilots condition. Here's hoping he survived.
It's real tiger country out there, and the only saving factor might be, that the vegetation is relatively small trees and bushes ..
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22606980-29277,00.html

Diatryma
18th Oct 2007, 03:00
Possible plane wreck found
October 18, 2007 10:27am
Article from: AAP

THE possible wreckage of a small plane has been found in a remote part of the West Australian goldfields. A search began for a missing plane after it failed to arrive in Kalgoorlie at 7.45pm (WST) last night as scheduled, after leaving Warburton on a parcel run.

The plane was carrying only the pilot.

At 6am today, an Australian Search and Rescue plane spotted what was believed to be the wreckage of the Cessna plane 463km north-northeast of Kalgoorlie.

"At this stage we're unsure whether the pilot has managed to escape," police spokeswoman Ros Weatherall said.

"The site is in a very remote location, 200km along a corrugated road and more than 50km into scrub land."

A police helicopter is on its way to the crash site.

Aircraft is a CE 210 - VH-WXC.
Doesn't sound good - but hopefully the pilot has survived this.

Di :sad:

ga_trojan
18th Oct 2007, 04:34
How many GAS wrecks are there now in that part of the country?

SimonBl
18th Oct 2007, 07:37
ABC Radio reports that the Police helicopter has arrived and reported that the 25 yo pilot, with 2 years experience was deceased. Earlier reports indicated that the crash was "probably not survivable".

Mr. Hat
18th Oct 2007, 07:42
Terrible. Condolences.

Paper Planes
18th Oct 2007, 08:04
Yes very sad someone so young has had their aviation career cut short.

MACH082
18th Oct 2007, 08:21
very sad to hear :(

Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;
To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within.

To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;
Then back to earth at the end of the day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.

Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;
Spare me no pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again.

For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

blzbub
18th Oct 2007, 08:42
Have just had it confirmed to me it was a mate I did my instructor rating with in NZ. Very sad day indeed. Just another bloke following his dream.

Bugger :(

RIP mate.

kiwiblue
18th Oct 2007, 08:56
Condolences to all concerned, indeed a tragedy.

Eloquently spoken MACH082

wigga
18th Oct 2007, 11:03
RIP
My condolences to the pilots family and friends..

readbackcorrect
18th Oct 2007, 16:51
A police helicopter recovered the 25-year-old New Zealander's body from inside the Cessna C210 in rough terrain about 4.30pm yesterday (NZT).

The pilot left Warburton, in Western Australia's Gibson Desert, about 5.15pm on Wednesday to fly parcels to Kalgoorlie, 463km south-west of the crash site.

The search was launched when the pilot failed to arrive within the expected 2½ hour time frame that the journey usually takes.

Western Australian police spokesman Roy Hamilton said two four-wheel drive vehicles were dispatched to the crash site, about 250km south of Warburton.

"They got as close as they could to the crash site but the chopper had to go on and recover the body."

The man's body was being flown via Kalgoorlie to Perth for examination, Mr Hamilton said.

"The family have been informed and they're on their way from New Zealand," he said.

The man's name would be released today.

Crash investigators are likely to prepare a report for the State Coroner.

kiwi chick
18th Oct 2007, 19:32
I was just about to post this - does anyone know who, how or why?

I've got some mates around that age flying over there, would like to hear anything as soon as somebody knows please??? :(

Launchpad McQuack
18th Oct 2007, 21:03
Crap...I know a few expats driving 210s in that area...

Condolences to family and friends.

LP

readbackcorrect
19th Oct 2007, 01:48
May I ask where you trained,trying to eliminate people I know. Cheers

kiwi chick
19th Oct 2007, 03:09
MACH82

Man oh man. I'm covered in Goosebumps. That is me in it's purest form.

I still don't know the identity of the Pilot but rumour has it he was from Massey Palmerston North

My condolences. RIP. :(

readbackcorrect
19th Oct 2007, 03:48
F%%$ I hope its notwho I think it is. Condolences to friends and family, feeling sick to the stomach.

Diatryma
19th Oct 2007, 04:09
Pilot killed in outback crash

19th October 2007, 9:30 WST

A 25-year-old Kalgoorlie-based pilot of a light plane was killed when his aircraft crashed in remote terrain 257km southwest of Warburton on Wednesday.
The man's body was found dead at the scene about 2.30pm yesterday.
The Goldfields Air Services pilot, who has not yet been named, was on his way back from a routine trip to Warburton after delivering goods in his Cessna 210 when the accident occurred.
No distress call was logged.
Yesterday afternoon, Kalgoorlie police Sgt Mason Ball said the alarm was raised about midnight on Wednesday when the man’s colleagues realised he had failed to arrive in Kalgoorlie after leaving Warburton about 5.15pm.
“In response, the Canberra-based Australian Search and Rescue mobilised their rescue plane from Perth Airport and conducted a search of the area from about 2.30am,” he said.
He said at first light, searchers spotted some “severe wreckage” southwest of Warburton in sparse, remote terrain difficult to access by vehicle.
The search and rescue plane left Kalgoorlie Airport accompanied by the police chopper carrying forensic officers and detectives about 10am yesterday and arrived at the scene yesterday afternoon.
They arrived at the scene about 2.30pm and made the grim discovery. A forensic examination of the scene commenced soon after.
“Our primary role is to recover the (body) ... and obviously to secure the scene for the Australian Safety Transport Bureau to come in and investigate the cause of the crash,” Sgt Ball said.
“I don’t think we’ll be able to physically recover the wreckage - investigators will be going out there (on Friday) to investigate the crash.”
The body was flown to Laverton yesterday afternoon ahead of transfer to Perth for a forensic examination. Police are yet to formally identify the deceased man.
The pilot’s employer Geoff Horsley was visibly distressed at the turn of events yesterday.
In the morning, the close-knit company employees were holding out hope the pilot would be okay.
Mr Horsley said the New Zealand-born pilot was experienced and had accrued about 1500 hours since being employed by the company in April.
“He was a flying instructor. I did most of his training here so I’m reasonably confident that he’d been well-trained,” he said.
“We were just going through his training records and he’s done quite an extensive amount of training and checking in the last few months with an independent officer as well.
“I have no idea what’s happened here ... we would hope as part of the investigation into what happened that we’ll be able to get some sort of picture.
“Obviously then you go and build defences in place to prevent anything like that from ever occurring again.”
The company’s last fatal crash occurred in the Goldfields seven years ago.

Condolences to all family and friends.

Di :(

m-dot
19th Oct 2007, 05:02
My condolences to the family and friends of the pilot.

Thoughts also with Shooter and all the boys and girls at GAS.

Very sad.

yowie
19th Oct 2007, 09:02
1500 hours since April?:\ Hopefully another journalistic typo.
Condolences to all affected

SmokingHole
22nd Oct 2007, 12:55
RIP Chris Douglas. His name released on the news tonight.

I have worked with him for the last six months. Good bloke. Tragic loss of life.

My deepest condolences to all who knew him. He will be sorely missed.

smokey:(

blzbub
23rd Oct 2007, 00:26
Did my C-Cat with Chris at Massey and spent some good nights drinking beer and talking sh!t at the aeroclub of a Friday night.

R.I.P. mate.

jackthelad
23rd Oct 2007, 02:07
I was lucky enough to meet Chris whilst I was also working for GAS in Kalgoorlie, nothing can express how you feel when a mate you have worked with is lost so young. Chris mate Ill always remember your wit your jokes and your general outlook on life you will be missed. RIP Mate JTL

Towering Q
27th Oct 2007, 08:22
Just a quick note to C.J.'s Kiwi mates back there in Unzud.

Chris was a great ambassador for New Zealanders whilst he was here in West Oz. Not afraid of hard work, loyal, honest and considerate towards all of his work mates.

He managed to form life-long friendships in the short time he was here and will be sadly missed by many.:sad:

....'til we meet again bro!!....

kiwi chick
28th Oct 2007, 23:35
wow, I'm touched by the comraderie we truly do have when it's appropriate.

(I'm not being sarcastic here either) :=

I didn't know him, but even I'm moved by all the well wishes.

Keep it up guys and girls. :)