PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities with an FAA License

Scoobster
17th Oct 2007, 22:08
Hi

I have an FAA Class 1 Medical but at present no JAR Medical (my case is under review at the moment by the UK CAA and independant body).
Whilst I have desperately tried to get this bug out of my system and stay away from airports, airfields, aerodromes and 'forget about flying', I simply cant.

After seeing a Singapore Airlines 747 parked at the Gate at LHR today, I have been giving a lot of thought to options and chances of success outside of JAA, in the short term at least.

I just wanted some solid advice as to what options there are with an FAA License.

I know you cannot work in Europe with an FAA License and I am not a U.S Citizen and I know you cannot work in U.S.A without a Greencard.

Of course, I assume that NWA, AA, Continental and the likes will NOT entertain the notion of 'work permits for British Citizens'.

So what options does this leave?
Where can I fly with an FAA License outside of UK?

Can I fly for regionals/majors on my British Passport with a work permit for carriers who accept FAA/ICAO Licenses?

Would I be better of going for CASA or SA?

You get the jist of it..

Cheers

Martin1234
17th Oct 2007, 22:19
There are some N-reg corporate aircraft based in Europe. I assume there aren't too many of them, but at least it will give you a possibility to work in Europe with an FAA licence and medical.

Scoobster
17th Oct 2007, 22:28
I was thinking more along the lines of going mainstream and flying for regionals for a bit (it can be in any other part of the world, Far East, Middle East etc).

I hadn't really given corporate flying much thought, but from what I know the opportunities for corporates are limited to a few providers in the U.K.

I would much prefer airlines, I would be willing to take up a job in the Far East or Middle East, if need be.

TelBoy
18th Oct 2007, 08:26
Scoobster,

There are opportunities in the UK on Biz aircraft. Many are N reg, or there is now the Isle of Man M (Manx) reg that accept any ICAO licence. The M reg are specifically for the Biz market, offering tax advantages etc.

There is also opportunities in the Middle East and maybe Africa. However to get an airline job might not be that easy.

Problems you will come against (as any job seeking pilot) is hours and experience and the reality is it will be hard at the best of times even with a shiney CAA class1 in your hand and about 60 grand to play with.

Don't let it put you off. There is a lot of great and challenging flying to be had outside the airlines and if you are determined enough and put in enough energy you WILL succed.

All the very best to you mate.

Scoobster
18th Oct 2007, 09:42
TelBoy,
Thanks for the informative post. I am willing of course to consider various opportunities to keep my options only. Admittedly, I do not know much about the Business/Corporate market, probably because I have not given that type of market/flying much thought.

Are you able to elaborate on some of the opportunities prevalent within the business market? Where could I obtain further information?

If it means that this type of flying would give me enough hours/experience required to make it into airlines or heavier aircraft then of course I would strongly consider this. I will consider it anyway as it is an alternative flying route, although I am not sure how much about the remuneration aspect etc and if it would be enough to support a young family.

I know many wannabes aspire to make it into the airlines and I am probably no different in the sense that I would like to fly heavier jet aircraft. I would be willing to travel to the Middle East, Far East Asia, India, Pakistant, South America etc if it means that I can work on a work permit for an airline. This is a grey area which I have not received clarification on regarding whether aircrew are eligible to work on a work permit?

If there are any Professional Pilots that know whether this is possible I would appreciate the input?

I am hopeful that a review of my case with the CAA will amount to something, although I am not holding my breath. It seems wholy unfair that the CAA are being discriminatory against me for not being an experienced pilot and the IAA Opthalmic guy also stated that there is no defined procedure in place for dealing with 'borderline candidates', even though I meet the Opthalmic regulations defined in Ammendment 5 of JAA.

The FAA have granted me a Class 1 Medical which I have constantly been renewing, but I have not started training as I have been locked in a battle with the CAA. This has been in the hope that I could just invest my time and money on a JAA license, if my case is resolved.

I am also in the process of applying for Canadian Permanent Residency based on my professional skills and if this is granted then this would also open up the Canadian Route, which is why I have not set a solid pathway yet.

Having said this, I think the time has come and take the plunge and first steps towards the Canadian or FAA Route, before I get old and grey and look back upon this with which makes it a tad bit difficult as I have to travel to the U.S/Canda whilst taking time out of my Consulting job.

It may make sense to get started on the FAA route with the PPL and then convert to Canadian/UK or start with Canadian and then convert to UK (if I am successful in my appeal).

Scoobster

TelBoy
18th Oct 2007, 14:58
Scoobster

You seem very entusiastic and are taking a sensible approach. You might as well get your PPL training started in the US and maybe do some hour building at the same time. Should the CAA then come up trumps you can start the ATP exams straight away and use the hours towards JAA ratings. Also remember that the EASA are taking over and it is expected that they will control flight crew licencing by 2009, so this might also be an opportunity for you.

There are a lot of others that can give you more accurate info on the Biz jet sceene, but it seems like a LOT of Biz aircraft in the UK are on the N register. I feel that they will also be looking at a LOT of hours.

If you go to Canada, there is some fantastic flying to be done outside the airlines, so look at the whole picture.

At the begining we all like to have a plan, just a straight line to follow (not supprising considering the costs) but life is not like that and tends to shine on the active and "go getter". In short it will be harder with only an FAA licence, but you will be able to get a rewarding career if you put enough in.

Scoobster
18th Oct 2007, 22:07
TelBoy,

I very much doubt the CAA are going to come up Trumps as it has been a while that I have been locked into a battle with them, almost 6 years now and I have only recently decided on getting a different aviation authority on board to have a review of my case.

I thought I could handle the thought of 'not flying' but I don't think I could ever handle that thought. Just the site of the 747 parked at Gate 13 up at LHR was enough to re-ignite the fire.

I have heard that Canada may offer a slightly more structured license in terms of quality of flight training and governance by Transport Canda. The likes of Pro IFR and Moncton seem to have excellent reputations.

The only downside with this is that on a Canadian License, there may not be as many Business/Corporate jobs available, which brings me back down to square one again of the only option being FAA.

I have been told by the CAA that even if I were to obtain an FAA Class 1 CPL they would not grant me a JAA Medical under the current regulations, which seems rather beauracratic! I think the situation with EASA will change very little, unless they have a sudden brainwave and decide to readress all the antiquated policies and procedures which are in place at the CAA.

I can only imagine things becoming more stringent in line with the likes of France and Spain, especially seeing as the UK is alledgedly meant to be one of the more lenient states (although I am yet to experience this leniency)

I think it is time to just bypass the CAA completely now and seek the Candian or FAA route. If I obtain a Canadian or FAA PPL, am I right in saying that I could count this towards JAA at a later date if by some miracle the CAA change their stance?

The other option I had thought about was RSA or Aus but again as it would be based on the corporate scence I should imagine that there may not be many planes registered on the RSA or AUS register in the UK.

With the N Register, the likes of Net Jets are look for extremely capable pilots with ludacrious hours so I can only imagine that it breaking into the corporate scene maybe at least as hard as the airlines!

The only down side to the FAA is that I have to give 3 months notice to the FSDO in NY prior to taking my Flight Test for a SODA Waiver, which means I would have to visit the U.S, take my lessons and then come back to the UK, put the 3 month notice in and then re-visit to take the test again, which will probably be a logistical nightmare not to mention the challenge of remembering how to fly or trying to stay current in those 3 months in the run up to the check ride!

This may be unlikely, but as there are providers in the U.S whom offer JAA training, is it not likely that there are also providers in the U.K whom offer FAA training or hire at least so i can practice in those 3 months if need be?

Sorry for the rant!

Cheers

7E7Flyer
19th Oct 2007, 10:44
If you can do the Canadian route, then try it. As a low-hour newbie it will be very hard anywhere in the world. In Europe, you almost definitely have to pay your way into that first job, whereas in Canada it's more based on merits, i.e. flight hours racked up in the bush (low pay still, so it's basically the same thing as paying :ugh: )

First question will be though, can you get the Transport Canada Category 1 medical? If that's no problem, then having either an FAA or TCanada licence will almost automatically give you the other one as well: it's been for about a year now that you can easily convert FAA>TC and vice versa, by just taking one or two small written tests. No flight tests involved and in the end probably the cheapest conversion process in the whole world :) What you do need, however, is that TC Class 1.

And most importantly, don't ever give up if flying is what you really want to do. But don't sell your soul if you know what I mean :}

Scoobster
19th Oct 2007, 17:06
Hi 7E7,

Well, IMHO and in the opinion of a lot of medical professionals that I have scene it has been deduced that I should not have a problem with a TC Class 1medical. It is really down to how you present the information and as I have an FAA Class 1, the requirements of TC mirror that of the FAA.

I have been giving this some thought and I may renew my FAA Medical and obtain a TC one also. The only issue is deciding on which license to do, the FAA or the Transport Canada. There are arguments that the TC license does not open up many opportunities compared to the FAA License?

I don't know how true this is but it would certainly help if i get Canadian PR then I will automatically become entitled to work in Canada and I suppose I could convert the Canadian to an FAA if need be?

Would you suggest doing my PPL as Canadian or FAA? Which would open up many opportunities? If it means I get a chance in corporates too would FAA or TC be better?

Cheers

7E7Flyer
19th Oct 2007, 17:43
Scoobster check your PMs

7E7

Scoobster
21st Oct 2007, 12:18
7E7Flyer Check your PM's

Thanks