PDA

View Full Version : Will flight dispatchers be required?

fd_737
11th May 2001, 22:10
Will flight dispatchers be required by airlines in future?As lot of airlines are going for automation .

SAIIP
13th May 2001, 00:26
I think there is another questions arise, if the dispatcher are no longer required, how about the pilot, would you be confidence enough to fly on a passenger plane without any pilot?!
I think no matter how advance the computer go, there are still need to have a Dispatcher and Pilot.
What if the computer malfunction?
Secondly, by FAA regulation dispatcher is a must.
At the end, safety come first.

Sai

SKYYACHT
13th May 2001, 00:29
IMHO There will be a need for a while....However, technology takes over by stealth, and many new generation jets such as B777/A330/340/380 etc can uplink complete computerised flight plans/fuel plans and performance schedules via ACARS and SATCOM. These can either be automatically downloaded straight into the aircraft's FMS, or manually input by the crew. The function in the flight ops department could be reduced to a crew briefing function. However, the actual administration of the flight would benefit from having a trained "Redcap" or despatcher. I wonder how the US FAA will view this in the future? FAA certified aeroplanes with all the automatics....will airlines want to pay for well trained FAA certified despatchers? Not so much of a problem here in the UK where a despatcher is a non licenced position. (Before anyone leaps on me - I know that the carrier/employer has a legal obligation to ensure that the despatchers are trained, but it is NOT state mandated).

I also offer this as well; If Fly by wire/high technology, can do all of the above, and also fly an accurate autoland without any crew intervention, then how long will it be before we need crewless aeroplanes? With ACARS/SATCOM/DATALINK we could have all the aeroplanes flying themselves, ATC separation conducted with greater accuracy and better efficiency by FANS (again via Mode S Transponders with TCAS) and no crew. Would we just have a qualified Captain sitting in a room full of monitors, waiting to intervene when an aeroplane has a problem....will he have a joystick, and be able to download telemetry from the aircraft and land it/control it?

Spooky thought! However, would you climb aboard a 'plane with no pilot?

I think your jobs are safe enough for a while.

Tailwinds.

SAIIP
13th May 2001, 00:53
I am totally agree with you.

But I think the term Dispatcher are difference between the state and uk.
Dispatcher = Flight Operations Officer
Ramp Co-ordinator = Flight Despatcher
some difference in function I think. :)

SAIIP
13th May 2001, 01:03
more info of the job description can be found.

http://www.eufalda.org

vipero
16th May 2001, 01:08
Automation will make pilots disappear before dispatchers...
Look at what happens today: pilots are purely executors of what flight dispatchers plan (always remember "flight dispatchers tell pilots where to go").

About differences from flight dispatch and ops control, in USA Flight Dispatchers just plan the flights. In Europe generally Flight Dispatch is linked to Ops Control.
I do prefer to have a finger in every pie.

Ciao
Paolo

SKYYACHT
16th May 2001, 21:14
Oh Dear Vipero, so you still do have a downer on us pilots, when all we are trying to offer is support, and our opinions, given as a result of a request, in an adult and mature fashion.

However, as you have demonstrated before on previous threads, you seem to have an unjustifiably high opinion of your function.

It may have escaped your notice that in the interests of flight safety, we in the aviation Community operate as a team. That means that no one job is any more important that another, but just different. You will also probably recall that my background is also Flight Operations/Despatch, and in general terms have nothing but the highest respect for the "backroom boys" who plan the flights.

It would also be beneficial if you were to consider that it is not YOU who tells the pilots where to go, but in all probability the plan is generated by your company's flight planning computer, which will no doubt have optimised the route that the aircrew will fly, taking into account winds aloft etc. All you are doing in despatch therefore is passing on to the crew a printout of where the COMPUTER has told the pilots to go.

You may have a little input, in terms of fuelling/mass and balance, but at the end of the day it is the aircraft commander (Normally a PILOT in most airlines) that will make the ultimate decisions, and take responsibility for the flight.

Let me reiterate again. I am happy to fly with a computer generated flight plan, but are YOU happy to climb into the cabin of an unmanned aeroplane that is about to embark on a 2000 nautical mile journey.

Your anti flight crew stance does you no credit, and only tarnishes your profession, and damages the credibility of your fellow professional Operations Officers.

I fail to understand how you can respond in such a negative way when I am offering an opinion, (albeit my personal one gained from considerable experience) sought by one professional of another.

Tailwinds

Eurobrit
16th May 2001, 22:39
Well said SKYYACHT !
As an FAA/ICAO licensed dispatcher I also take offence at Vipers attitude.
Maybe he would be better off doing something else ? There are plenty of jobs where he can be the BOSS e,g driving a rubbish tipper or similar.

Ciao

vipero
17th May 2001, 03:15
Dish Washer...that's my dream...
Ciao
Paolo

p.s.
can someone explain me why is offensive saying: pilots are disappearing before dispatchers, answering to a (of course non-offensive) question: "will automation make dispatchers disappear??" oh! Now I got it!! It's because pilots are purely executors...well, in my opinion they are! Is this offensive? It's your problem.

Ariciao

[This message has been edited by vipero (edited 17 May 2001).]

SKYYACHT
18th May 2001, 01:22
Never mind Vipero, I'm sure that somewhere, there are some other saddos who will share your self centred egotistical viewpoint. To all the other true aviation professionals out there, I say, Nil Carborundum Illegitimus, and lets continue working as a team, and enjoying aviation rather than becoming a sad old cynic.

Tailwinds to all - even you Vipero

PS - YOU STILL HAVENT ADDRESSED ANY OF MY COMMENTS VIPERO......WOULD YOU CLIMB ABOARD AN AIRCRAFT WITH NO PILOT - EVEN IF THE PLAN HAD BEEN PREPARED BY ONLY YOUR FAIR HANDS?

[This message has been edited by SKYYACHT (edited 17 May 2001).]

vipero
18th May 2001, 13:21
Sky,
just talking about automation, and not importance, pilots are going to be changed more into "system operators". Would you agree that? What plane do you fly today?? How much you do more than check what the systems do on your behalf? How much automation is around you?? Flight plans, load sheets etc... sooner or later, pilots (as dispatchers unfortunately) will seat in front of a monitor, drinking a coffe watching what an AI is doing on their behalf...
What you decide today in terms of safety, economy etc... tomorrow might be done better by something that do not call for a strike...

And about my job: today my system alerts me when an airport goes below minima, both for weather or notam, it choose the best route (even if we are still able to find a better one almost every time...), the best levels...another system helps me in optimizing the fleet when an AOG or a delay occurs...let me prepare my coffe cup...

Ciao
No offense to your job Sky, really...but I love to be a dispatcher, and I hate how little we're considered.

Paolo

SKYYACHT
18th May 2001, 18:48
Say Vipero......good stuff. Now we can agree, and get acquainted. I am Airbus A319/320/321 instructor. Yes, I am surrounded by automation, and as I said in my earlier post, The technology exists already to replace the guys at the front. Its only a matter of what the pax will accept. I imagine that when Mr. Otis invented the elevator, lots wouldnt travel in them without the operator, and many airport transits are unmanned now. Yes, I could easily forsee a time when the controlling of aircraft is done by ground based telemetry. Both of us are already (to a certain degree) living history. I can actually remember doing the odd Flight plan/wx brief/weight balance calculations by hand using Drop sheets and perf graphs and charts, as no doubt can you. But that was when the computer went u/s. They have certainly de-skilled both of our jobs. As you said, we are rather less pilots, and more systems operators/managers. We still have to maintain full situational awareness, as you do, when on duty.

Now, lets stop talking shop. I see that you are a biker as well. (Oh No - Vipero with something in common with a pilot! - just kidding :)) What do you have? I have just finished a rebuild on a 22 year old Suzuki GS550EZ. Looks and goes OK now. I have got to upgrade to something newer. I have wanted a Guzzi California since I was a kid of 17, so perhaps I might see what I can do.

Anyhow. Gotta cut lose, and work.

Ciao to you too.

Tailwinds

vipero
18th May 2001, 19:49
Sky, I must admit that I feel much better now that we get aquainted. I don't like to arise bad feelings to the others, specially when sharing ideas writing in a language that's not mine...

Talking about serious things:
I presently ride a Yamaha TT600E, because having raced in motocross for some years, Enduro/off roads are the only ones I feel at ease with.
We have a nice group of riders here, dispatchers, technicians and pilots (R1, Monsters, 996, R6, Hornet, RGV250, ZZR250 etc...) but no Guzzi. Ehm...Guzzi is not considered on top actually here around, sorry...but I grew up surronded by bikes, my father used to ride MotoBi, Ducati Scrambler and finally a wonderful MVAgusta 250, black and silver...
Now I'm expecting somebody yelling at me: "hey! if u like talking about bikes, go to motoride.com and leave us in peace!" :)

Ciao
Paolo

SKYYACHT
23rd May 2001, 08:49
Let 'em yell......Bikes, beer, birds, 'planes.....theyre all great. nice bikes anyhow.

Thanks for coming back to us...

Tailwinds

Mark

You splitter
24th May 2001, 16:40
Sky,

Couldn't agree with your comments (regarding working as a team)more. It's important comercially, and more importantly for safety. Unfortunately you are a rare breed. I have read Vipero's posts before, and whilst I may not agree with all he says, or the way he says it, I think you'll find it is a result of biting back at the general lack of respect or professionalisum offered to non-pilots by pilots.
It's wrong on both sides of the fence.
Without us your shiny aircraft go nowhere, but at the same time without you they don't move very far either!
Pity more people don't think like you.

Have fun round those corners guys!

Speedjeans
29th May 2001, 04:16
Good on yer Mark keep up the good work will catch up for beer soon!
Cheers
SJ's

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

SKYYACHT
1st Jun 2001, 20:25
Say, Toast is that you?

What happened, after we got cut off? Gimmee a call and lets sink a few amber/brown ones, and talk about life, 'planes'birds etc.....

Hows the new job? Betcha wish you were flying.......

Tailwinds