PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Wireless Internet

Keef
16th Oct 2007, 21:56
I'm not of the generation that uses an Xbox (I wouldn't even know what one looks like or what it does). But a friend of mine has two lively lads who are seriously into Xboxing.

He's about to get broadband so that they can do their school homework and submit it via the Interweeb. Their next request was for WiFi internet on the Xbox(es). However, the USB WiFi device for an Xbox is something like £60, whereas a "normal" USB 802.11g is more like £10 to £20.

The question: will a USB dongle work with an Xbox, or is the thing configured to accept only its high-price accessory? I suspect there may be an issue of how to install drivers.

[I know: if I wait till he has his BB I can lend him my dongle to try it - but he wants to be "ready" quicker than that.]

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2007, 23:09
Keef,

Like you I have never seen one - however, the x-box 360 appears to have 3 x USB 2.0 ports - see here:

http://www.news.com/Xbox-specs-revealed/2100-1043_3-5705372.html

Of course, you haven't specified which X-box they have. ;)

However, I think you may well be correct about drivers. Probably the drivers are in the OS already (but can only work with a compatible device - the expensive one).

So unless you can find what the USB wifi dongle actually is, and get the OEM equivalent...

SD

Keef
16th Oct 2007, 23:41
Ja, apparently it's an Xbox 360 and it has USB ports.

However, my USB WiFi dongle came with software/drivers that had to be loaded - the default Windows stuff didn't work (but was fine with the PCMCIA card). I dunno if the Xbox would need software/drivers, or if there's a way to load 'em.

I can't see, otherwise, why the Xbox WiFi thingy is so expensive.

Bushfiva
17th Oct 2007, 06:24
I believe, but I may be wrong, that right now only the MS USB device works with the USB port on the Xbox 360. However, of course, you can use any ethernet adapter in bridge mode attached to the ethernet port. The 360 will see a wired connection. There are adapters that can be powered off USB, if you don't want to use a wall wart. An ethernet adapter in bridge mode would need configuring on a PC initially to set it up for the local network.

Gonzo
17th Oct 2007, 07:08
The Xbox 360 Wifi adapter is so expensive, for the same reason that the Xbox 360 hard drive is so expensive (20GB = £70)

Captive audience, supply and demand.

Keef
17th Oct 2007, 07:25
That sounds very true, Gonzo.

Graham is going to wait till he has his WiFi up and will then borrow my USB WiFi dongle to try. I'd give long odds that it won't work.