PDA

View Full Version : hong kong appartment---help

g109
16th Oct 2007, 20:28
Hi

I have been offered a position flying for a company based in HK. They will pay me a housing allowance of 24000 HK$ a month. How far will I get with that. What sort of appatment can I expect to find for that money.

Help much appreciated,

ps: I am single, no kids

superfrozo
16th Oct 2007, 23:42
G109, I hate to say it but here goes: "It depends".

As you are single/sans kids, I can only assume you would want to live on HK Island where the "action" is (read Russian whores and 8-ball's of coke). In this case, $24K would get you a smallish, clean, partly furnished 1 bedroom apartment in mid-levels.

Now, I don't know where you're from but when I say "smallish", I mean about 500-600 Sq ft. If you cut the cat's front legs off and about 1/2 of its tail, you may just have enough room to swing it around.

If country living and/or wife-swapping is more your scene (although without a wife to swap I'm not sure how you'd go) then Tung Chung near the airport or anywhere in the New Territories is the go. More bang for your buck apartment size wise, but much less bang (bang being the operative word) for your buck Russian whore wise.:}

Hope this helps.:ok:

christep
17th Oct 2007, 07:37
$24K for 500-600sq.ft? That must be the "Hi! I'm an airline pilot" price.

For the rest of us that should get you 8-900 sq.ft or so in the midlevels if you're not fussy about living in this month's newly released flashy building.

chris keeping
18th Oct 2007, 05:50
If you prefer the quiet life, as indeed I do, then I would recommend Lantau South, a bus ride away from the airport, and for $24000 you could find a very acceptable pad and keep some of the change. I've lived in Hong Kong since 1970, and moved to Lantau South a couple of years ago, wish I had done it earlier!

Kermit750
23rd Oct 2007, 02:24
A little place called Discovery Bay on Lantau is nearly more commonly known as Delivery Bay because the families and their ensuing babies love it. But, of late more and more single blokes have moved in to the area. your 24k will get you 1500 feet quite close to the D.B. Plaza and a 30 minute ferry ride to Central and the Chai. Great value for money here and only a 20 minute coach direct to Terminal 1.

Please dont take offence you Carribean Coast boys but I cant help but feel that if more of those that moved to Tung Chung got a good feel for other places around Lantau you may have changed your mind.

Go to www.hongkonghomes.com for a look at what is on offer.

hongkongfooey
23rd Oct 2007, 15:09
Went to DB to visit a " friend " the other day, not sure what the deal is with the new " Exxon valdez " look for the bay :confused:
Apparently there has been a boat out in the middle of the bay running 12 hours a day for the past week or so, doing god knows what.
You would think if you had some of the worst pollution in the world, you'd be a bit smarter that this :mad:
Next time I'm looking for some free diesel for the boat, I know where to come.

Kermit750
23rd Oct 2007, 15:14
Been a discussion point for the last week. Another example of reverse logic. Makes you feel damn good about your kids going for a swim.
The mind boggles trying to think of justification for that crap. The fragrant harbour is a little more fragrant.