PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start?

JakeR14
16th Oct 2007, 17:13
Hi my names jake and im 14.

im would like to persue a career as an airline pilot, but where do i start?:confused:
im getting my class 1 medical sometime soon but once i got that where do i go. what i want to know is what do i need to do to become a pilot and after doing that where do i go and what do i do?

i hope you can help me and if so please post a reply:ok:

jake:)

r44flyer
16th Oct 2007, 17:22
Get to WHSmith and get the most recent issue of Pilot magazine, there is a guide to becoming a professional pilot and will tell you everything you need to know as a first port of call.

Oh, and don't waste your money on a Class 1 medical just yet, they are only valid for 1 year before needing renewal, and you're too young to hold the commercial licence for which it is needed. By all means consider your medical fitness early on, though.

redsnail
16th Oct 2007, 18:45
The advantage of doing the Class 1 medical is that you can rule out any conditions that would prevent you from becoming a professional pilot.

However, the main conditions in young folk that stop are diabetes, dodgy eyes (ie strong-ish prescriptions) and colour blindness. If you don't know the status of these conditions, find out.

If there's a mag with a current article out, buy that. I believe Clive Hughes has written a pretty good book about it all too.

Google GAPAN and there should be some info about it all too.

Study hard at school, do some team sports and get a part time job to earn some cash.

flyvirgin
16th Oct 2007, 18:58
first of all go down your local airfield an have a trail flight,if yo like that then do your ppl.I think you can do that and pass, when you are 17.
If you or your family have got loads of money (£40,000-£60,000) then you can start your commercial training,there are loads of schools about, try google,you can also try cab air.
I know how it feels to have the flying bug i did at your age and still have.
I hope this helps buddy and good luck for the future:ok:
P.S,Do your ppl, your enjoy it:)

Scott Duch
16th Oct 2007, 21:26
Hi there, you're in the same boat as me. I'm 15 years of age. I have my Standard Grade results from school (very happy) and i'm now doing my highers in maths, english, physics and geography. I have flown 2 hours in a Cessna 152 and have 7 landings/take-offs to my name! :cool: I'm not considering a PPL as if you're doing an intergrated course then what's that point and also, if you're trying to get at 17 goodluck with your studies of flying and school rolled into one. It's very, very possible that you could have done better if you do each one seperate. I'm concentrating fully on high school just now then get a job after my highers (need time to myself, a lot of study during and after school) so i don't have a job just now.

I'm doing it in blocks. Accomplish school first getting the best possible grades, get a job to earn some cash and build a more mature attitude and more worldly knowledge and then begin to consider and Intergrated fATPL course.:ok:

NB - that's if everything goes to plan!

mustangsally
16th Oct 2007, 21:52
The above individual is doing it correctly. Study hard get to the highest level you can. As time permits work on the aviation part to build your time. Maybe get involved with a glider club and work as a line boy. May clubs will donate airtime for some ground work.

I've been pushing airplane for over 40 years and have watched as some of my fellow aviators fell by the way side. Most due to medical problems, even in there 30's. So have an education you can fall back on.

The other is economics. Companies come and go. When the hanger door closes on one company it is often easier to get a temporary job, doing something else, till the window seat offer returns.

I've worked for three airlines plus the military. In between window seats, I started my own manufacturing company, ran a construction company and a new car dealership. Without the base education I'm not sure it would have been as good or as smooth a road.

Good luck and fair sky's in your future.