PDA

View Full Version : Training for ATPL with a young family in tow

Lightfly
16th Oct 2007, 13:39
I am seriously considering an integrated fATPL course - but I have a wife who works full time and 2 young kids. It's going to be very tough year or so for all of us. If I try and choose a localish (live in the SE) course to me is it reasonable to do a weekend commute, or is the weekend time usually needed for studying ? Can one go home during the week occasionally? During the basic flying training (usually overseas) can one get back home once or twice ?

I have the support of my family but I don't know if we really know what we are in for.

Anyone else been there and done that , any words of wisdom ?

Lf

17th Oct 2007, 07:55
Morning LF,

I was asked a similar question by a friend's work colleague who was interested in a career change, so I'll try and summarise what I said in the hour or so conversation I had with him down the phone!!

The Integrated or Modular courses for the CPL/IR are long and hard. Be under no illusion from prospective flight schools that the training will be completed in the time stipulated (think builder's estimates!). Their times are based on you passing everything first time and having the right weather for certain flying requirements (particularly if you're ab-initio/zero experience).

As for your home life, it's a question of how much time can you afford. The courses are not run like the military. You are free to come and go as you please either at weekends or on ''school nights''. However, as the course progresses, the workload goes up, so you may find yourself studying 7 days a week - I certainly did! This tends to happen early on as a lot of people mis-underestimate the work involved for the groundschool subjects.

If I were you I'd go for the nearest school to where you live, particularly with a young family in tow like yours. If you have the option to stay in the UK for the basic flying training, I'd do it - unless you want to get away from the family, then I'd say go abroad!! It's up to you from that point of view, but I think it's good to have that balance between home life and studying.

Lastly. Do remember that you are going to be out of work for some time. The course will get you a licence, but it won't get you a job. I don't know your background, but do take into account the fact that you'll be on the pile with most newly qualified students. The job market is fierce, particularly for multi-crew positions, and if you are fortunate to land one straight after training, you're still looking at a 2-3 month type rating course before any pay checks start rolling in. . . .

Hope this helps, good luck!

Please feel free to PM me if you need any more advice

GgW
17th Oct 2007, 10:40
I have finished my flight training about a month ago ( ''full time'' modular ).18 months from 0 - fatpl. I have a wife and a young child. As you I have also considered the integrated way, went to 2 open days, went for the selection process ,passed it ,gone to the bank , small hick-up but could have got the loan, but have decided agains it.
The reasons why is with the groundschool , if you do it fulltime than classes start at 9 and finish just after 4 , then you have to go home and do at least another 2-3 hours. All of that for 5 months. Although I have a very supportive wife and family I just could not justify the small amount off time that I would have to spent with them. I did my groundschool distance learning ( 7 months with one ressit ) and was with them everyday , I have spilitted my days so that the bulk of my studies was done from 8 pm onwards, and a few hours during the day. The ME, CPL and IR was easy because it was just a regular 8 to 5 day. Hourbuilding was the only time that they could really share this whole flying experience with me , because the majority of the time I took them for a flight around the Southern parts of the UK.

But that's my story, it worked for me, I was never threatend with a divorse and is lucky enough to receive my first pay check from flying in the next few months. Good luck with your choice and make a 110% sure that your family backs you, and they are not just saying yes because they are fed up of hearing '' I wanna be a pilot!''