PDA

View Full Version : Cardioligy question on ABP

olirindis
16th Oct 2007, 05:21
Greetings all,

A question concerning 24 hour Blood Pressure monitoring. Does one have to be resting at home during the period of monitoring or must it be done with the subject in his/her normal working environment?

Many thanks.....

Shamrock274
16th Oct 2007, 16:03
24hr BP or ECG??

Go about your normal activity because the whole point is to try and see when and at during what activities to you get an abnormal rythm/value(if any at all) during your day

ciao

Shunter
16th Oct 2007, 18:02
You'll be cursing it at 3am when it wakes you up for its hourly BP check.

I had a bit of high BP a while back, but after a 24 check it was decided that it was down to my frustration with stupid people as it was absolutely fine from about 7pm to 8am :)

Just do what you usually do... that's the point.

gingernut
16th Oct 2007, 18:27
Yeh, go about your normal business.

Most results show a rise when walking into the "white coat" environment, and coitus. (Although in your case it could be coitus interuptus when the machine starts to vibrate.)

Interestingly, in the UK, ABP monitoring is not used routinely, as no-one quite knows what to do with the results.

Perhaps I'll present my algorythm to the dragons den lot:bored:

(Or sell it to the drugs companies to keep quiet)

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Oct 2007, 00:20
Interestingly, in the UK, ABP monitoring is not used routinely, as no-one quite knows what to do with the results.

Some time ago (mid nineties) there was a paper on treatment of BP based on ABP readings.

Showed that long term outcome is better if you treat on what you read in your consulting room rather than go on ABP.

The logic was that people who's BP goes up when they see you also are more likely to respond with a higher BP in other 'stressful' daily situations.

I'd say that 90 percent of ABPs I do only confirm what I already knew from taking readings in the consulting room. BP is not well controlled!