PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Airport Arrest

Sunfish
16th Oct 2007, 03:23
From the ABC, charming, one more good reason to avoid Sydney Airport like the plague.

Cabbies protest Sydney Airport arrest

Posted 40 minutes ago

* Map: Sydney Airport 2020

Dozens of taxi drivers refused to pick up passengers at Sydney Airport this morning to protest against the arrest of a cab driver who got into a fight with an Australian Federal Police (AFP) officer.

Police used capsicum spray to subdue the 39-year-old after he became angry when an officer asked him to move his car, which the AFP say was blocking an exit road at the international terminal.

The AFP say an argument ensued when the officer asked the driver to move his car.

They say the car started moving and hit the officer's leg.

The AFP say the man then got out if his car and refused to show his licence. They say he became violent but was subdued with capsicum spray.

The 39-year-old has been charged with offences, including resisting arrest, and will face Waverley Court early next month.

Dozens of other taxi drivers protested against the arrest, one of them telling police the man was "bashed" and police went too far.

"It just happened here. It does happen every time," he said to an officer. We can't talk to anybody. We are a human being - we have a right. We're good citizens, we're serving the public."

Police say no-one was bashed.

The New South Wales Transport Minister, John Watkins, says his department is looking into the incident.

Mr Watkins says he is unable to say much because the man has been arrested.

"The Ministry of Transport will be looking further at the matter to see if there's anything that the State Government through the Ministry of Transport has to do to assist in the resolution of this matter," he said.

"But at the moment, it's a police matter to be looked at by the driver and the police."

Like This - Do That
16th Oct 2007, 03:36
one more good reason to avoid Sydney Airport like the plague Uhuh. Pity I live in Sydney. I know, next time I have to fly to Melbourne I'll drive to Newcastle and fly from Willy!

Skystar320
16th Oct 2007, 04:41
Hang on..............
Did they driver undertand engrish?

ozangel
16th Oct 2007, 05:10
Hold on a minute here...

What about the poor buggar who was ALSO just doing his job, having a complete stranger drive their car into his leg, and then go bonkers at him and refuse to produce a licence.

The guy was capsicum sprayed, big deal, better that than being shot.

Not to sound paranoid, but this cabbie (from the perspective of the AFP officer) could have been anyone. His intentions could have been harmless, or they could have been to block as many people in as possible - so he was just doing his job asking him to move on...

It's becoming a regular occurence now, thatbusses exiting terminal 2 are being blocked in by inconsiderate cabbies who weigh up that they will nudge forward across a thorougfare (for absolutely no point - they still have the same number of cabs in the line in front of them), blocking the exit for dozens of other people in busses trying to move across into the exit lanes. All because they think tailgating and hornblowing magically makes people get in cabs faster 200m away out of earshot and sight.

The way some passengers behave, the AFP have enough morons on their hands inside the building, let alone being hit by cabs and abused by their drivers outside, just because theyre doing their job!

rotaryman
16th Oct 2007, 05:13
Unfortunatley the AFP officers working at Sydney Airport are a bunch of school leavers who can't make it in the real world!!!

Ego's bigger than you can jump over! i'm on the cabbies side!! The way these AFP goons talk to people its no wonder the cab driver got upset!! capsicum spray!! sheeesh whats next!!! think about it..

I could'nt state the number of AFP officers who have resigned / been sacked / transfered etc from Sydney Airport due to various infractions shall we say!!!

Even the Sydney Airport safety Officers think the AFP are a damm Joke!!

Rant Over!! :ugh::ok:

ozangel
16th Oct 2007, 05:28
Are you talking about AFP or security. Theyre two different beasts. I would perhaps agree with your sentiments if they were infact directed at the 'security' staff, but not the AFP.

The AFP have always been quick to attend and deal with any situation I or people I know have encountered.

I am not paid enough to be physically assaulted by a complete stranger because I am doing my job. I suspect, nor are they - but they do.

rotaryman
16th Oct 2007, 05:37
Ozangel!! AFP means AFP!!! Australian Federal Police! Aka Plastic Cops!!

Sorry i don't agree with you with regard to the AFP i have worked first hand with these F%^& Wits and have seen first hand how they behave!

Security at Sydney Airport is provided by the private sector IE: SNP security / Chubb etc. most are brain dead! but what do you expect when they are paid peanuts,,yes you do get Monkeys!!

Sydney Airport Security is a Joke!! not just the terminals but the Perimeter and Airfield as well!!

but lets not go there shall we..:{

404 Titan
16th Oct 2007, 05:46
Don’t get me started about the taxi drivers in Sydney. The term lying, thieving b*****ds and arrogant sons of b****s comes to mind though. They’re worse than taxi drivers in New York and that is really saying something. Frankly they deserve all they get.:yuk:

Skystar320
16th Oct 2007, 05:49
Futher to add my frustration of taxi drivers.

Every time I see a taxi driver who does something wrong, I dont care if my shift is over in 10mins or my boss to his amusement is in the car with me the blue light and siren will be activated each and every time.............

ozangel
16th Oct 2007, 05:59
jeez rotary? calm down.

I know perfectly well what AFP stands for, no need to be so sarcastic.
Reason I asked was to clarify you knew who they were.

And yes, I am aware of the security staff situation, but thank you for highlighting that as well?

I would like to see how you would react if someone drove their car into you because you were doing your job.

Their egos are no bigger than most pilots or cabin crew (yes, cabin crew can have egos that would contend with the best).

They are not employed to be flexible with the rules. However, they do serve a purpose and do a great job saving our bacon on the front line. I have witnessed a run in with them in hobart where they have not been the most 'diplomatic', and didnt know the rules themselves - but fortunately his AFP colleagues laughed him off and dragged him away from the situation.

Al Fakhem
16th Oct 2007, 06:10
Fender writes:

Your the problem.

Sounds like the "English" coming out of a Sydney taxi driver....

ALLICEDUP
16th Oct 2007, 06:56
Skystar320,

Wish you could teach the police in Melbourne to pull driver's over who can not drive or break the rules, they don't seem to bother these days! I think the speed camera revenue keeps the pollies and the top brass happy enough.

Sydney taxi drivers, well my experiences with them have been disgusting, at least in Melbourne if they don't know where they are going they throw you the street directory! Respect is what is required, No matter what is thought about a particular AFP officer they have been given a job to do, in some of the countries that the taxi drivers are from they would have been shot!!

Throw the book at him!!!!!!!

Mmmm

Defenestrator
16th Oct 2007, 07:04
Hang on..............
Did they driver undertand engrish?

ROFLMFAO......Thanks mate. Best chuckle I've had in yonks.

D :ok::ok:

socks and thongs
16th Oct 2007, 07:31
AFP v Sydney Cab Drivers......

This thread will go beyond infinity if we sit here and discuss the negatives of each. Maybe it'll be clearer if we bring a few positives of each party in to the discussion......

(sound of crickets chirping)

rotaryman
16th Oct 2007, 07:41
Ozangel,

I appologise if you think i was having a go mate! Its just i thought we all know what the AFP are!

In anycase you do agree, Given your last post! that the AFP do have an attitude problem, i would also agree that Taxi Drivers are a real Problem, most couldn't find their own back yard or speak english.

I just wonder what the AFP officer was doing directing a Taxi driver to do anything! Given that the Roads etc around Sydney Airport are the Problem of SACL and as such managed by Kerb Side Management? Sound to me and i am only speculating of course! That the AFP Officer was being a ****** and flexing his muscle on the Cabbie?

All AFP officers that i have dealt with will tell you " We are Terrorism First Response" Most would't know the Law as most are only just out of school and far to busy feeding their Ego's to really know what the issues are.

I speak with considerable first hand knowledge!
:}

Jabawocky
16th Oct 2007, 08:05
I have found the solution to getting a Taxi in Sydney, and having to Navigate for them and almost drive for them, its simple.........................

AVIS , HERTZ, BUDGET, THRIFTY, EUROPCAR...........:ugh:

It is heaps cheaper to drive yourself to and from where you need to go in a hire car than catch a filthy, stinky cab (and assuming you go the shortest route) and then have to navigate and risk your life in it!

J

Pinky the pilot
16th Oct 2007, 08:22
Gentlemen; May I suggest that, like all sectors of humanity, there are both good and bad!!

The last time I transited YSSY (a few years ago admittedly) I had to hail a taxi to travel from the domestic to the international terminal. Although the driver would not have made much for such a short distance, not only did he readily agree to take me there, upon arriving at the international terminal he refused to accept payment! He merely wished me a safe journey and good luck.:ok:

I cannot remember his name, I do remember that he was of Russian extraction, but I do know that he was a bloody good bloke!!!:ok:

fender
16th Oct 2007, 09:44
All I would like to add is that there is more than one way to deal with a situation. In my many years of flying I have come across pretty much most situations bar a gun toting (sic) american.
99% of the time a courteous word or some friendly advise will fix the problem and win you respect. We are all becoming such assholes.I'm sure you know the rest of what I'm getting at.

fender
16th Oct 2007, 09:51
Skystar.
next time I fly with you I will have to give :ugh: you one.

Trojan1981
16th Oct 2007, 09:59
The thing is, the AFP seem to have very little to do at YSSY. Every night they could be found sleeping in their cars by the lighting rooms at the end of each runway, out of sight.

During the day they just seem to wander aimlesly around the shops. Probably why when they do get the slightest whiff of trouble, some of them charge in full of self importance and stamping their authority:rolleyes:. This would be more common if, as mentioned earlier, some of them lack life experience.

flycop
16th Oct 2007, 10:51
Rotaryman needs to get his facts straight.

The airport is policed by the AFP. The AFP (at airports) consists of Protective Service officers and Airport Uniform Police (AUP). The AUP are ALL NSW Police seconded to the AFP.

The arrest today was made by an AUP officer. Not that it matters. The Police were doing their job.

So Rotaryman... get it right before you get on your high horse.

goddamit
16th Oct 2007, 11:09
I've seen so many menacing cabbies in my travels through Sydney airport including one getting out of his car & sconning another. This event is not hard to believe. The AFP do have a job to do, no one likes to be told off(myself included) but when in the wrong you eat humble pie & move on.. not get out & challenge some sob for doing his job even if he is a bit terse about it. If this happened in many other countries the cabbie would have been much worse off. I know of a few first hand who have been menaced by cabbies at the terminal & they were in full uniform too. I don't like to sterotype but I've been a cabbie in a past life, & around half I've encountered have serious issues & they like to tell you all about them... Good on the AFP, the authorities on all levels need to enforce a stronger stand against idiots behind the wheels of any vehicle!

greenslopes
16th Oct 2007, 11:31
The only cabbie service I will use comes from the St George region, the majority who serve the Airport are at best unproffessional. There are more than likely some very competant cabbies..............when you do get one they are like a breath of fresh air.
I do feel most(not all) cabbies are crap and do deserve the bad feedback they are receiving.
As for the Police whichever uniform they wear in Oz seem to be very proffessional and competant. Try having any sort of exchange with any of the Police in our Pacific/Asian north and see how you go.
Thats not to say there aren't a few mongrels in the Force, still when you call them to remove a Pax they will always attend.
My final word.....I would rather be in the back of a Cab than Police car as no matter how incompetant the driver, the bill at the end will be a lot cheaper!!

ABX
16th Oct 2007, 12:44
SS320,

Every time I see a taxi driver who does something wrong, I dont care if my shift is over in 10mins or my boss to his amusement is in the car with me the blue light and siren will be activated each and every time...

A nice charge of assualting a police officer would go nice with your record?

Here in this thread you claim to be a policeman, but in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=295465&page=2) you claim to be an accountant.

Sorry I have to disagree:

Coming from a Forensic Accounting Background...

And this little gem:

Accountants are the power in the engine, the pilots drive the plane...

Astronaut next week?:}

Shall I give you a barbie doll or something similar to play with? :=

fender
16th Oct 2007, 13:12
keep shooting first and asking questions later skystar. brainless twit.big gun lil d#@k. get off here and stop harassing people.

ABX
16th Oct 2007, 13:35
Okay, okay, I get it.

What are you, with the Fraud Squad? Mr. Big Accountant been issued with a gun?:mad:

When you pull over those taxi drivers do you ask for their license or their ledger?:}

I hope you do not define the Police Service Mr. "Accountants are the power in the engine."

Ex Douglas Driver
16th Oct 2007, 13:39
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3303020&postcount=49

My short - life span:
12 - 16: Paper round expert
16 - 18: Customer Greeter / Security Guard
18 - 18: Cash in Transit Officer - Armaguard
19 - 22: Police Officer
22 - : Police Officer - Highway Patrol - TRAFFIC DIVISION

23 - Rocket Surgeon

ABX
16th Oct 2007, 13:50
EDD, I'll buy you a drink!:ok:

So where does the Forensic Accounting Background fit in 320?

Monopoly money doesn't count mate.

fender, a mate of mine lives in Healsville Vic., they got a new young cop who thought his job made him better than others. After taking some sh1t from this young bloke the local lads invited him to join the footy team, when he accepted they beat the snot out of him every week until his attitude changed. True story, should be more of it?

ABX
16th Oct 2007, 14:17
Been caught with your pants down eh?

Mods, deletion of whole thread and or threads by me...

Trying to get the Mods to cover your *rse? If you can't stand by what you say then don't post it to begin with!

Happy accounting.

Skystar320
16th Oct 2007, 14:19
I'd Stand by it every single day mate,

Just that the last couple of posts by myself , you and another person is completely irrev to this whole topic.....

My last post to this topic

Rich-Fine-Green
16th Oct 2007, 19:19
I do a lot of business in SY.

I will NEVER use a cab in Sydney. Over the years, I have had so many negative experiances with this group of thieves.

I can recall a single good experiance ex-SY airport. It stands out clearly as this particular driver had a spotless car, a smile and did not try and rip me off by already having the meter running at the stand, taking the wrong exits, being surly and aggresive when given directions and adding a random $5-$15 on top of the meter as being 'Airport Fees'.

Even if I am in SY for a half-day, I will use a rental car (with Sat Nav!). It often works out a similar price but without the stress and agro.

I have also experianced Ratbag cabbies in BN, ML and PT - but overall, these cities have much better Taxi standards.

brian.crissie
16th Oct 2007, 19:41
my best cab experience of my life came at BNE (brisbane)

great great guy. stopped the meter for us when he took a wrong turn. got us to our stop and we all chatted with him for 20 or 30 minutes.

he was a retired bloke about a month shy of traveling the world with his wife.

the downtown cabbies were a completely different story though. take the water taxi when ya can, eh?

Sunfish
16th Oct 2007, 20:16
I've been in two taxi prangs in the last eighteen months so Avis is sounding quite attractive.
I have some sympathy for the Sydney Airport cabbies. They have to pay, then sit for hours for a fare. I used to have to go to Silverwater which was just down the street and therefore a rotten low fare, so to avoid embuggering the cabbies, I'd grab one upstairs at the drop off point - until the Airport Nazis stopped me.

As for the AFP, word here is that they take the rejects from the State Police Forces, and, judging by the standard of investigation and interrogation demonstrated in the Haneef case, it sounds like they are keystone cops top to bottom.

They appear occasionally at YMMB and drive around in a big shiny car, looking bored. Last time I saw them, they had pulled up an Apprentice riding his bike across the tarmac from hangar to hangar and were searching him for IED's.

lowerlobe
16th Oct 2007, 21:02
Hey Skystar320...Do all accountants drive around with cars equiped with blue lights and sirens?

No wonder that was your last post Walter Mitty :E

ABX
16th Oct 2007, 23:48
SS320,

Thanks for the PM asking me to delete all my posts that have exposed your lies, I will extend to you the same courtesy that the police have extended to me when I was doing 63 in a 60 zone...:ugh:

Sorry mate, my posts will not be deleted by me.

Anyway Troll, I see that you have deleted your own posts.

fender
17th Oct 2007, 01:21
ABX.
Love your work. Hopefully we have made this forum and the world a safer and smarter place without skystar320 alias, AGE 24:(goober the axe murder) :D

FOD-Boss
17th Oct 2007, 02:05
Even the Sydney Airport safety Officers think the AFP are a damm Joke!!

Geez Rotary...I`m sure the boys will be thanking you for that one..

indamiddle
17th Oct 2007, 03:11
still quicker to grab a taxi upstairs mel/syd particularly if a short distance.
to doge the nazi in the yellow jacket walk opposite direction from him.
he will not run 30 metres to stop u. most would have a heart attack in 10
metres. and no need to pay 'airport charges' as they haven't been to arrivals level
yet where these fees are incurred

rotaryman
17th Oct 2007, 04:34
Some great feedback!

FodBoss:
I am sure the syd boys would thank me! no doubt at all there mate! Its common knowledge at Sydney Airport that the AFP are a bunch of Gun Toting Twits who hate to be told what they can and can't do while airside at Syd. You only got to see the number of times they cop an airside infringement notice for speeding while airside/parking outside designated parking area's and or driving on a taxiway!!!

All want to puff out their chest, be the hero and argue! but are the first to complain when its done in return.

They have very little respect from most that work at Syd. I could go on, but whats the point? ive made my point i think..

FLYCOP!

The roads in and around Sydney Airport are policed and administered by SACL - Sydney Airport Corp! they contract the work of policing parking landside around the Airport to Kerbside management!

The AFP are there as Terrorism First Response! Yes most nights they can be found sleeping in and arpound the Lighting rooms! or hooning around the Airfield getting bogged in area's they should not be! They are a Joke..LOL:p

Also FLYCOP! i didn't report the incident as being a AFP officer! The media did! i only offered my oppinion of the AFP at Sydney Airport based on that report! so i might suggest you are the one who might need to check your facts and maybe also read the proceeding posts before putting your foot in mouth! or are you an AFP Officer? of course if you are! that would explain a lot...:ugh::}

Trojan1981
17th Oct 2007, 05:04
"Yes most nights they can be found sleeping in and arpound the Lighting rooms! or hooning around the Airfield getting bogged in area's they should not be! They are a Joke..LOL"

You're talking about within the RWS 16L/34R?:E

rotaryman
17th Oct 2007, 05:41
:eek:

Oh and 07/25 and 34L/16R lots of hiding places! so they think! The G.A area and the Heliport where they should not be!!!

Reminds me of the time an APS officer was observed by ATC driving down taxiway (tango) at high speed, hooning around smoking the wheels and losing control on the perimeter road/ smashing through the solar powered harbour lighting system and coming to rest less than 2 meters from the edge of the sea wall!!!:D

Investigation showed estimated speed at approx 130KPH---:(

His punishment was a transfer to Coolangatta...

Trojan1981
17th Oct 2007, 06:07
....and a chalk outline on the seawall... until pax in landing aircraft started to complain:E

rotaryman
17th Oct 2007, 06:38
Trojan:

Seems you know more about this than your letting on mate!! ;)

Yea the Chalk outline was replaced a number of times untill people got bored with it..he he he he he :hmm:

Minimbah
18th Oct 2007, 01:17
The one thing that I find really interesting about this thread is that it is all based on the media report.

Any time the media reports an aircraft accident/incident, everyone jumps on them for misreporting, but in this case, they must be 100% right.

Changeable lot, you are! :ugh:

rotaryman
18th Oct 2007, 03:44
Minimbah:
I beg to differ! certainly in my case i chose to give the APS a bashing because they deserve it. it was only the fact that APS were mentioned as the responsible agency in the mater that promted me to post a reply in the first instance.
:}:}:}

Trojan:
The Seawall corner was Named " APS Corner " that was also spray painted onto the road until the APS kept painting it out! No sense of humour either that lot..:{

Bazzamundi
18th Oct 2007, 08:41
Hey Sunfish, are you saying Melbourne cabs are better than Sydney ones? The two worst experiences I have ever had with Cabbies have both been in Melbourne. One resulted in me refusing to exit the cab until the police were called as the driver gave me $10 change from a $50 note for a $10 fair. He gave in as I called the police, I still reported him and funnily enough the cops stated it is a problem not just confined to the CBD but usually with taxies from the airport with drivers ripping people off for toll money along with other things.

Cabs are a disgrace Australia wide. But I suppose avoiding Sydney airport will solve it all. Or is it just your bias against Sydney that makes you see things this way?

ScottyDoo
18th Oct 2007, 12:25
Some immigrant cabbie p.o.s. makes a c*** of himself at the airport, gets a well-deserved shot of capsicum and Sunfish seizes the opportunity to stick it to Sydney. :rolleyes: Someone's got real issues.

Hope you're enjoying the company of your new Sudanese friends, :ok: cause it looks like Howard's put a stop to them coming in......for now.