PDA

View Full Version : U.S. vs. European dispatching

karlb
30th Aug 2001, 01:27
Hi guys,

I have a question about the differences re: dispatchers in the USA and in Europe. I believe that there are some huge differences, right or wrong? And would dispatching in Europe be a good line of work to aim for or is it as hopeless as becoming a pilot? :D

Well...hopefully this will create some answers, hehe.

Regards

Karl

Yasser Arafat
30th Aug 2001, 02:55
KB

Dispatchers in the USA are much more knowledgeable than the UK dispatchers or controllers as they are known. More importance is given to the USA dispatchers as they are the final authority ref in dispatching a flight. In the UK the Captains/F.O's don't give a T_ss what the controller says, they will do it anyway.

Basically UK Dispatchers are a bunch of Losers, :D who don't have a clue whether they are coming or going, much of the duties they perform are on trial and error basis anyway.

YA
:cool:
:p

no sig
30th Aug 2001, 03:26
Oh dear Yasser, you did enjoy that last one about UK ops/dispatchers did'nt you.

We'll not rise to the bait though.

waco
30th Aug 2001, 15:19
Dear Yasser
UK ops type here :
FAA licence
ETOP's dispatcher
Commercial Control on shift
Large fleet, multiple types
Pilots licence
Staff to oversea
responsibility for day to day crewing
etc.. etc ...

Many of my collegues across the UK have similar qualifications or better and have more practicle responsibility and decision making in a day than you do in a month.

Don't believe, then come and have a look.
regards
:o :o ;)

karlb
30th Aug 2001, 18:29
Hmm...differences indeed :D . Anyway, if I would want to be a dispatcher in the UK, where do you recommend me to get the education? And how's the market looking? And the salary scale?

Regards

Karl

Yasser Arafat
30th Aug 2001, 20:05
Karl

Get your Dispatching education in the USA, not even waste your time with the UK dispatch scene total waste of time.

You won't learn anything away, except take crap from all pilots (another bunch of losers). Anyone can fly a plane, all you need is a brain, most of these pilots dont even have that (a basic requirement).

Waco's list looks very impressive, but anyone can make that up ???. Waco you from the States ??.

Anyway I am moving to the States next month to wrk for one of the major's so maybe I'll see you there waco!!!

SIG
----

What was that remark about me enjoying the last one about uk ops/dispatching ?? This is the first time I have been on pprune !!!

YA :D :D :D

karlb
30th Aug 2001, 20:16
Only one problem then - to work in the US you need the dreaded Green Card... :(

And would please take all your mudslinging to another thread?

Regards

Karl

ops
31st Aug 2001, 00:24
yasser, you indeed area a tosser , I can vouch for waco and indeed I am the same, 15 years experience , not just in uk , FAA licence ,Etops dispatcher , commercial control of 32 aircraft...don't knock what you
don't know....

ghost-rider
31st Aug 2001, 01:09
Karl - your best bet is to get an FAA dispatch license ( see the many related threads on this forum ) although it will cost you.

In a nutshell, UK dispatchers control the a/c turnround itself ( ie ground handling side of things ). The UK ops officer/controller is responsible for the fleet control, and is akin to a US dispatcher.

The main difference is US dispatchers ( aka ops controllers ) must be licensed. UK ones do not have to be ( yet ? )

Yasser - here's sincerely hoping that the IDF take you out permanently - if they don't, then most UK ops and dispatchers will surely assist !

( sorry no sig, couldn't resist ! :D )

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: ghost-rider ]

Yasser Arafat
31st Aug 2001, 02:08
Karl

u require a work permit (H1-B) to work in the USA the green card comes afterwards.

YA

ops

u sound like a FAG !! 15 years experience is nothing compared to what I have, FAA Lic.

You said you have commercial control of 32 aircraft (Microlights) ??..

ghost-rider

The idf have already been taken out. want to try your luck (B_tch).

YA
:D :D :cool:

no sig
31st Aug 2001, 02:25
Yasser
I was refering to the last paragraph of your provocative posting.

Tis true we do not have a FOO/Dispatcher licence in the UK, this stems from a wide varity of reasons, not least of which, we do not have a set of regulations which require it.

But for those in the UK who might be interetsed, take a look on the UK CAA website under FODCOM 9/2001 (Flight Ops Communication). The UK CAA are proposing a change to CAP 360 requiring operators to adopt a training standard for flight operations officer which conforms to ICAO Doc 7192 D3, Training Syllabus for Flight Operations Officers/Dispatchers, this is to be included in Part D of the Ops Manual. Not sure how this will impact upon JAROPS operators in the UK.

For those of you who are not familiar with the ICAO FOO Syllabus versus FAA Dispacther licence, I can tell you that in general terms the ICAO course content is superior to the FAA in that it provids for a much broader knowledge base in flight ops studies.

Now before you get on your high horses on my last comment, please don't get me wrong, the FAA licence is a good ticket, but for operators who are flying outside of the USA, you'd do better with the ICAO course in my view.

gema
31st Aug 2001, 11:32
Karl,
Forget the put you down answers. In a nutshell, both the FAA and ICAO have their merits. The ideal is to have both in which case you/your company would be allowed to dispatch N.. registerd ACFT. The FAA requires that the flight is dispatched with both the Capt(PIC) and Dispatcher in agreement that the flight is planned according to the regulations. This is legislated in the USA. Most other countries still follow the UK CAA which puts the total responsibility on the Capt(PIC) to ensure that the Flight is dispatched according to the regulations.

There has long been the debate about which is the better option. There is merit in both systems which is why I advocate both.

In general when talking about major airlines policy towards Flight Dispatch/Plnning/ Control, you need to understand that the lager the airline, the more HUBS/BASES it will have. Some smaller HUBS/BASES the FOO/FDO (Flt Ops Off/Flt Disp Off) will have different roles. Some will only do pure dispatch and maintain operational control within a defined Aera of Responsibility- this is typically what happens in the US. Others will have the responsibitilities as outlined by WACO.

The ICAO syllabus in order to comply with ICAO Doc 7192 Part D-3 (1998) is ankered on these subject modules:
Aviation Meteorology
Navigation General
Radio and Radio Aids
Aircraft Performance
Aircraft Weight and Balance
Flight Planning

The course is about ten weeks long depending on where you go. Drop me mail and I will put you in contact with the right people if you are serious.

Pay, once again depends on where you opt to work. I have made good living (some 28yrs) in the airline game. From Cabin attendent to Dispatcher and management. There is realy never a dull moment in the airline industry and there are all sorts.
Advice-
1. Get yourself a good sense of Humor
2. Get qualified
3. Maintain your integrity- after all you are also a profesional
4. Never ever forget that you plan everything on the safe side of the curve and then you look at the economics.

Good Luck in your endevours. Its a great life of hours and hours and hours of hard work puntuated by moments of good and bad humor.
:p

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: gema ]

karlb
31st Aug 2001, 17:40
Thanks for the first really helpful response! I'm currently stuck where I am though, so I have to decline your kind offer about getting me in touch with the right people. Perhaps in a year or so... ;)

Regards

Karl

macraezy
31st Aug 2001, 18:30
HI! id for sure recommend FAA dispatch training at FlightSafety Internationl! why! because I graduated from AFDTC, so for gods sake go to FS

OO-AOG
1st Sep 2001, 10:41
Who cares of the FAA license, there's enough good training schools here so why learn the yank's particular way of thinking for God sake. Many dispatchers/Controlers, whatever you call us, here in Europe are real pros without it.

Cheers
OO-AOG

waco
2nd Sep 2001, 12:28
Dear Yasser

AA/ Not American (thank goodness)

BB/ CV not "made up" just shortened

CC/ Many of my European compatriates have
CV's better than that

DD/ During my considerable time in one of our old colonies (Dear old George III) I have had the privallage of meeting many very fine dispatchers/operations staff. They have a superb reputation.......shame you let that reputation down......