PDA

View Full Version : Interview technical questions

runsi
15th Oct 2007, 18:51
I would like to start a thread for all us unemployed pilots out there to prepare for an interview. If you ever had an interview with an airline then please share with us the technical questions asked.

I will get the ball rolling. I have been asked:
Why does jets have swept wings?
What is the "coffin corner"?

FLDMan
15th Oct 2007, 19:21
Or you can simply buy the book 'Ace the technical pilot interview' Most technical questions are covered in this book.

runsi
15th Oct 2007, 20:00
I could, but this sounded more fun and cheaper.

BlueRobin
15th Oct 2007, 20:25
I am dreading this part given I last did ATPL theory in March and inevitably retention is pretty poor.

Where can I get the book from?

willby
15th Oct 2007, 22:35
Hi
Any of the on line pilot supply shops.
Willby

Airist
15th Oct 2007, 22:37
I found that book to be worse than useless. It's confusing, or just plain wrong, on many topics. I'd warn anyone off it -- I'd suggest you go back to your ATPL notes if you feel in need of a crib.

Chicken Leg
16th Oct 2007, 00:09
am dreading this part given I last did ATPL theory in March and inevitably retention is pretty poor.

Dry your eyes Robin, I did mine in 2001. You think you've got some work to do! :{

BlueRobin
16th Oct 2007, 00:14
One of FlyBe's questions for a chum was "what is a holdover?" I couldn't remember...

The potential is so huge that it is difficile n'est pas to target key areas to restudy.

What ever happened to the nice chat with tea and biscuits? :)

smoothkpilot
19th Oct 2007, 09:01
I found that book to be worse than useless. It's confusing, or just plain wrong, on many topics. I'd warn anyone off it -- I'd suggest you go back to your ATPL notes if you feel in need of a crib.Have to disagree, I have found "Ace the Pilot technical interview" to be quite a useful guide. I admit there are some technical errors especially in the section on Aerodynamics but overall it does act as a good guide as to what you should KNOW or have a rough idea on. It is impossible to remember everything from the ATPL course and this book acts as a guide as to what you should know from each subject or what an interviewer may expect you to know. Use it in tandem with your ATPL notes, and it fits into your bag, I can't imagine you carrying all 14 folders with you on the train to work.

OsPi
19th Oct 2007, 20:17
I had a look at the book at Google Books and on page 4 of the preview available i find this:

Q: What if the formula for lift?

A: ½R + V2 + S + CL

I can't believe the would get something like that wrong, but shouldn't it be L = ½R x V2 x S x CL? :confused:

RS999
21st Oct 2007, 22:57
I was asked at my CTC interview "What are the benefits of winglets?" and "Describe the difference between those on the 737-800 and those on the A319"

Thank God I'd read up on them.......:ok: