PDA

View Full Version : Is 1000 hours too little?

Barefoot Flyer
15th Oct 2007, 13:34
I'm looking at coming back to UK to sit the JAR conversion, and want some opinions on whether its worth coming back yet. It's basically all single engine time, but its all commercial pic time. Thoughts please...... Are they hiring guys with time like this?

dartagnan
15th Oct 2007, 14:43
i would go with 1500h tt. at least before coming back to europe.

Finals19
15th Oct 2007, 16:50
Any time over the basic 250 is better than nothing. I would agree with Dartagnan to a point, but you would certainly have a head start.

Commercial op experience is a definite bonus. So (I am told and I hope!) is ME time.

I have 1100hrs TT, about 650hrs in a commercial op and about 800hrs ME time, of which about 400 is MPIC - and I am back doing just as you are contemplating (ICAO conversion) I am seriously crossing my fingers for early next year when I get all the conversion finished.

One thing I would say - if you do come back and convert - don't just think A320/B737, airline route etc...target everyone, from ME Piston air taxi, to corporate operator to airline and try to market your commercial experience.

1500TT is an important figure, but it has to be the right sort of TT...

Barefoot Flyer
15th Oct 2007, 20:51
Cheers finals19, you're just the kind of guy i was hoping for to reply. It looks like the magic number is now 1500hrs with 500 multi, as opposed to the old 1000hrs mark. To be honest i'm not looking for boeing or airbus time, b1900 or corporate is what i want. Good luck with the conversion. All the best.

IRRenewal
16th Oct 2007, 07:19
There are no magic numbers. 1500 hours TT will not guarantee you a job, just like 1000 hours TT didn't guarantee you a job in the past.

redsnail
16th Oct 2007, 11:28
If corporate is your target then you're onto a good start. However, I would bust my buns to get some multi engine time ASAP. If you can, go for turbine time too.

Yes, I know how hard that is to get but that's what is in demand. The multi piston time will open doors to fish spotting, twin piston charter work, freight etc. The turbine time will open doors to the above and more. Corporate flying is going crazy at the moment, Netjets being the main employer and it's dragging every one else along.

A kingair is useful if you can get hold of some hours on one. Failing that, a Cessna Bravo or the like.