PDA

View Full Version : Bypass pay question

eggraid
15th Oct 2007, 10:09
Does anyone know how this is going to work? If I am a Hong Kong based FO on Cos99 and a captain takes a base to work past 55 with an on-shore company do I then get bypass pay if I am the next most senior FO? Seems to me that now that it is a legislated retirement age on a base that may forfit by pass pay to those of us still on Cos99 in Hong Kong?:ouch:

Numero Crunchero
15th Oct 2007, 18:11
In CoS 99, it states that unless you are Cat D you are entitled to bypass pay for any captain that is extended.
It doesn't matter if he is extended in C+T, or basing. I don't think he generates bypass pay if he extends on the freighter.

Interesting example...if the most senior FO is on a base (hence CoS08) he will NOT get bypass pay for any captain extending in hkg or base until they extend beyond 65! The second most senior FO, say in HKG on CoS99, does not inherit that bypass pay. FOr him to get it there needs to be a 2nd extendee.

All 50+ year old HKG based captains must be getting worried. If the bases have filled up they won't be able to get a base. And the ones on the base can work till 65 now. So the hkg based captains can only get extended if they go into C+T or fly freighters!

I wonder if that was the company's intent with this deal?

DDDOF
16th Oct 2007, 03:09
Maybe NC can enlighten with some numbers???

How many in HK are pushing 55, and how many on a base are?
Also what would the majority of the ones in HK pushing 55, nationality be, assuming you can't go on a base you don't have right of abode to work on, cause me thinks it will only affect certain basing areas???