PDA

View Full Version : ATA Airlines detains passenger for using iPhone in 'airplane mode'

surfman96
14th Oct 2007, 21:38
IP Telephony, VoIP, Broadband: Clueless flight attendant to passenger: Turn off that iPhone movie NOW! (http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2571)

TECH.BLORGE.com: ATA airlines tries to arrest a man for using iPhone in 'airplane mode' (http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/10/13/ata-airlines-tries-to-arrest-a-man-for-using-iphone-in-%e2%80%98airplane-mode%e2%80%99/)

CNET News.com: ATA Airlines detains passenger for using iPhone in 'airplane mode' (http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9796512-37.html) by Tom Krazit

Don't try to watch movies on an iPhone if you're flying on ATA.

Apparently putting your iPhone in airplane mode is not the digital equivalent of returning your seatback to the upright position.

A flight attendant for ATA Airlines recently asked a flier watching a movie midflight on the way to Hawaii to shut off his iPhone, not for the perfectly reasonable reason that the man was watching the inane Jennifer-Love Hewitt vehicle I Know What You Did Last Summer, but because you're not allowed to use cell phones inflight. Casey, the iPhone user, told Consumerist that he tried several times to explain to the flight attendant that the iPhone was in "airplane mode," with all the radios disabled. But the flight attendants did not accept that explanation, and continued to insist that FAA regulations prohibit talking on cell phones when the cabin door is closed, despite the fact that Casey wasn't actually talking and the fact they were over the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

As happens with these things, people got huffy, tempers flared, and Casey eventually found himself talking to a few bemused policemen in Hawaii. He reported that the flight attendant changed his story several times, first telling police that the airplane wasn't shielded for any type of electronic device (although apparently everybody else's MP3 players were fine), then telling police the plane wasn't shielded for "ONLY (emphasis his) phones in airplane mode." Casey was allowed to go, and apparently was not sentenced to watch Heartbreakers in its entirety to get a better sense of what might have provoked the flight attendant.

I'm sure there's more to this story. I'm playing a game of phone tag with ATA, and decided to post and update later if I hear back from them. It also brings up a few interesting points.

First of all, "airplane mode" doesn't appear to be a universally defined state of being by the FCC, FAA, the airlines or the mobile phone industry, and perhaps it should. Apple's Web page on the iPhone's airplane mode clearly states, "If you turn on airplane mode, the wireless features of iPhone are disabled, and if allowed by the aircraft operator and applicable laws and regulations (emphasis mine), you can continue to use the non-wireless features after takeoff.

Some airlines explicitly state that you can use a mobile phone in airplane mode over 10,000 feet. Others don't get into it, and just say you can't use mobile phones while in the air. So it might very well be ATA's policy to prohibit the use of mobile phones under any circumstances, just like it's their policy to shoehorn passengers into seats best suited for those under 5 feet tall.

I also wonder if smartphones will eventually force the FAA to make a decision about the use of mobile phones during flights. There may be legitimate reasons to disable wireless networking or calling on airplanes, whether those are technical concerns both in the air and on the ground, or whether it's merely a nod to flyers who don't want to hear one end of a five-hour conversation. But there's an awful lot of things you can do with mobile computers that don't involve wireless networking, from listening to music or watching movies to playing games or even composing documents with an expandable keyboard. As long as people are allowed to use their iPods, laptops, and portable DVD players above 10,000 feet, it seems silly to prohibit the use of a properly silenced smartphone just because it also happens to be a phone.

But we're talking about airlines and the government, so silly things happen all the time. Some consistency on mobile phone usage would be nice from the airline industry, but I'd prefer they figure out an whole new operating model that actually works before taking on matters such as these.

sebby
15th Oct 2007, 12:08
Hmm.. Well I would hope if "Flight Mode" was irelevent that the FA would be aware of this and explain it to the Passenger.

Someone is going to have egg on their face after this and I wouldnt be surprised if this Casey ends up suing over the matter if its found that "Flight Mode" is permissable with this particular airline. Ive assumed for a while that most US airlines do allow this, for the obvios reason that a mobile is simply a PED when "Flight Mode" is enabled.

The funny thing I find is when passengers try and tell me their 1995 version Nokia is apparently in flight mode..... :=

sebby
15th Oct 2007, 12:16
Hehe yeah until they walk off the aircraft and the Aviation Security men are there with their CAA/CASA colleagues to issue a fine... :rolleyes:

iain8867
19th Oct 2007, 00:13
The airline I work for states in it's welcome aboard PA "All mobile phones, including those with flight safe mode, must be switched off"

I still see them on during the flight and have to as and explain that the phone must be switched off. One of the reasons may be htat if passengers see one person with their flight safe mode phone on, they may start turning their on, which may cause a problem with, possibly, over 100 phones searching for a signal!

I think it really comes down to the company that you chose to fly with. If company states "No mobile phones to be on" then even if you have airplane or flight safe mode you are still going against the request of the company. Which if they say is due to safety then you may be asking for trouble.

Until the FAA and the CAA come together with clear cut guide lines then it is down to the company.

Basil
19th Oct 2007, 09:49
"All mobile phones, including those with flight safe mode, must be switched off"

Even with my XdaIIi 'switched off' it will still search for a signal.
It MUST be set to Flight Mode to disable ALL radio functions.
Recently, imediately following the "Please switch off your mobile phones." pa, I had a hostie calling across the aircraft to me to switch it off - as I put it into Flight Mode.
1. Airlines should make cc aware of flight mode.
2. Those of us with such PDA type machines should have a non confrontational explanation which will be understood.

Seems odd logic to permit the use of a laptop (which may have built-in WiFi and Bluetooth switched off) but not a PDA :confused:

smile
21st Oct 2007, 02:01
Basil can I suggest turning your phone to flight mode and having it switched off prior to boarding the aircraft. If the airline you fly with hs a "no phones policy", once you are on-board the plane you have already broken the rules.

vodkaholic
21st Oct 2007, 10:57
our airline doesn't allow flight mode either as the CAA haven't tested it. cabin crew are aware of flight mode on mobile phones and we get the same argument every day "but it's in flight mode". doesn't matter in our company i'm afraid. it has to be switched off completely. and as cabin crew, we also have to obide by this rule.

however, i do know that other UK carriers actually state that mobile phones should be switched off or put into flight mode. so some airlines do allow it. like someone said, youjust have to be respectful of the company's rules.

Basil
22nd Oct 2007, 08:58
once you are on-board the plane you have already broken the rules.
No I hadn't - as a passenger I don't break rules.
In fact, on that occasion, due to a taxi delay at JFK, we had been given specific permission by the captain to use mobiles on the ground.

Basil
22nd Oct 2007, 09:03
it has to be switched off completely. and as cabin crew, we also have to obide by this rule.

Appreciate the rule BUT switching my PDA to OFF does NOT prevent it from transmitting. It MUST be switched to flight mode. Just to clarify; I'm happy to have it switched off if requested but I will first of all set it to flight mode.

Sounds as if some airline managers need to be better informed ;)

BelArgUSA
22nd Oct 2007, 10:09
One thing of interest to you all...
I am a 747 captain, and my airline issued, in 2002, mobile phones with worldwide capability (GSM and tri-band) to all the captains, this for immediate or urgent communications with our dispatch desk in Buenos Aires, during layovers or when around airports on arrival or departure...
xxx
Our flight attendants make the announcement to passengers, not to use their mobile phones as soon as the doors are closed for departure... but what makes me laugh (and the flight attendants know this quite well), that we send a SMS from that phone, about a minute before our takeoff roll, to our dispatch in BsAs, to advise them of - flight number, actual takeoff time and fuel on board... We do so since some 5 years ago... It is much cheaper to send a SMS (5 Euro cents) than making a $4.oo one minute call on our SAT phones...
xxx
You might maybe say that my 747 is an old classic 200, without fear of disturbing our museum electronics from the Wright Brothers era... but be aware that the same procedure is observed, as well, by our A-340 crews. So far, these A-340s have not reported any problems with use of such phones...
xxx
So, when Suzana will come to the cockpit, and tell me "Captain, one passenger is refusing to stop using his phone", I will go to the cabin, to tell the passenger to switch it immediately OFF due to the dire dangers caused by operation of phones in the plane, and tell him that I have to rush back to the cockpit... to send a SMS for departure...
xxx
How ridicule...
:)
Happy contrails to all...

Green Cactus
22nd Oct 2007, 10:31
My previous company was going to start the same procedure (sms with departure info). We refused as it would have to be done during taxi and we were (and still are) of the opinion that non safety items have to be completed prior to taxi.

vodkaholic
22nd Oct 2007, 12:11
However, it has been in the press lately that some airline sare configuring some of their planes so that mobile phones CAN be used safely in-flight. i am always sticking up for the CAA and my airline saying that if they weren't a danger then they wouldnt have such a rule...but maybe i shouldn't be so naive. lol