PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to flog JetStar to Tiger

blow.n.gasket
14th Oct 2007, 12:07
Heard the above rumour a couple of times now from a few different sources.
Is this bulldust or is there an element of truth to it? :confused:

max autobrakes
14th Oct 2007, 12:17
Would not surprise me in the slightest now that the APA deal is as dead as a doorknob.
Have Qantas management been getting shares in OrangeStar (the holding company for JetStar )?
If JetStar is floated what value if any do these shares then aquire?
Is this an exit stategy for certain individuals now that the APA deal is dead and their patron "little Johny" in Canberra looks like bowing out disgracefully?
Great Rumour though.
PS
FOG.

Bula
14th Oct 2007, 19:35
wouldn't doing so give Singapore automatic access to the Trans pacific routes from Aus? For some reason i don't think it would be in their best interest.

lowerlobe
14th Oct 2007, 21:28
I can't see Darth selling anything to a front for SIA BUT.......

I could see them selling J* to someone like a certain Fox or another company with Darth at the helm or a company that has an interest for him.

Capt Kremin
14th Oct 2007, 21:52
Nothing that rumour makes any sense. So I guess there is a real chance then!

The Kavorka
14th Oct 2007, 22:20
I heard the rumor that qf domestic will be JQ in the next 5 years....

Only international QF long haul and JQ doing asia routes..

lowerlobe
15th Oct 2007, 00:01
These rumours usually start with someone using too many illegal pharmaceuticals.

Either that OR..

Someone NOT taking their prescribed medication..OR

Darth starting the rumours...OR

All of the above involving Darth.:E

captaintunedog777
15th Oct 2007, 01:55
Wind-up. Sad thing is i think you guys believe it. At least the australian aviation scene has a great supply of idiots.

Out-of-balance
15th Oct 2007, 03:59
1st ever post - so hi to everyone :)

Heard a similar one about Tiger but it wasn't J**. Makes much more sense and the biggest shareholder is a seller. A few rubber stamps required in the US 1st & more importantly not many offical nods needed.

Safe flying & id love a $for.....

amos2
15th Oct 2007, 07:24
...a $ for what?

Ramboflyer 1
15th Oct 2007, 07:35
Why sell a profitable entity. Although why did the government sell the airports , licences to print money they could have been for the economy.

blow.n.gasket
15th Oct 2007, 12:02
Profitable entity,Hardly.
Take away the cross subsidies from Qantas and you're left with ???????:bored:

VeeoneCUT
15th Oct 2007, 13:15
There is no way in hell that QF will be flogging off JQ.

QF have had the benefit of watching the British Airways fiasco with their offshoot LCC (Low Cost Carrier) airline called "GO".

"GO", was making huge profits - when Easyjet made them an offer they couldn't refuse, BA almost bit their arm off! - They were to regret this sale.
At that time GO, and BA long haul were the only parts of the empire that were making money.

The QF to JQ cross subsidies are part of the transition plan for transferring flights.

Case in Point
Last October the CNS DRW SIN was operated on a QF tail B767, by Feb this year it was operated by Jetstar Asia on an all QF flight number, and comp meals and drinks onboard no less. For all intents and purposes this was a QF flight. If you looked to book this flight on Jetstar you wouldn't find it in the reservation system. Feb 2008 JQ Australia will take over this route from JetstarAsia QF - the transition complete. Expensive QF crew and operation replaced with crazy clarke's, and nobody really noticed.

A legacy carrier skimming off their short and medium haul flights to an airline that has crew paying for their own type ratings and flying on bargain basement contracts is destined to make money - and JQ certainly are doing that. Hopefully they'll profit share with their staff, otherwise they incubate some unrest. And as we all know pilots attitudes are inversely proportional to the number of hours on type, particularly on lower money.

QF is clearly palming off all their short/medium haul flights to JQ. They will only retain the heavy business class routes BNE>SYD>MEL and all long haul.

Do the math. JQ openly state they will have 900 pilots within the next few years. even at 10-1 that's 90 airframes!!

Opening a new airline allows a company to sneak in with the contracts they would like, without getting into sticky industrial disputes.

Just wait for the fares war coming up, with Tiger and Gold Airways entering the game.

Bring it on - then there will be a salary war to retain crew!!!

Taildragger67
15th Oct 2007, 13:22
Ramboflyer,

I'd suggest that the airports only became as profitable as they are, after they went into private hands. Then Macq Bank et al stuffed them full of shops, jacked up the (already exhorbitant) parking fees, slapped a $2 charge on taxis, etc. and bingo! super-normal profits. :hmm:

SOPS
15th Oct 2007, 13:33
And who or what is Gold Airways???

VeeoneCUT
15th Oct 2007, 13:47
http://www.goldairways.com.au/image/obj4geo4pg1p10.jpg
www.goldairways.com.au

Skystar320
16th Oct 2007, 00:05
OMFG here goes the spin of Gold Airways again

Gimme the brick wall

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Mstr Caution
16th Oct 2007, 01:14
I wouldn't be holding my breath on any salary war to retain crew, in a LCC environment.

I would expect a take it, or leave it approach by managament.

Whilst ever there is an operating cost differential, the Jet* - Mainline entities will co-exist.

Management dont expect to retain crew, didn't Joyce state he's satisfied to "burn out crew", before they move on to greener pastures.

Wizofoz
16th Oct 2007, 05:05
"GO", was making huge profits - when Easyjet made them an offer they couldn't refuse, BA almost bit their arm off! - They were to regret this sale.
At that time GO, and BA long haul were the only parts of the empire that were making money.

The QF to JQ cross subsidies are part of the transition plan for transferring flights.

Hi V1,

Not to go too far off topic, but that isn't quite correct. GO was losing money for BA, largely because they couldn't leave it alone and kept meddling at a managerial level. It was sold in a management buy-out.

Barbara Cassani and her team then did a great job of turning it around, largely through inspiring employee loyalty (imagine that!!), and it had posted it's first couple of profitable years when easyJet bought them out for 300% of what the original team paid.

It was actually a classic example of why Major airlines have trouble running LoCo subsidiaries, the lesson being HANDS OFF. NOT a lesson I believe GD and co have taken heed of.

Skystar320
16th Oct 2007, 05:09
Wizofoz

Hi V1,

Not to go too far off topic, but that isn't quite correct. GO was losing money for BA, largely because they couldn't leave it alone and kept meddling at a managerial level. It was sold in a management buy-out.

Barbara Cassani and her team then did a great job of turning it around, largely through inspiring employee loyalty (imagine that!!), and it had posted it's first couple of profitable years when easyJet bought them out for 300% of what the original team paid.

It was actually a classic example of why Major airlines have trouble running LoCo subsidiaries, the lesson being HANDS OFF. NOT a lesson I believe GD and co have taken heed of.

Sorry but your response was wrong in a way.

Go actually started to make money then sold it to 3i and part of the employees.

Get your facts right first :(:(:(:(:(

Wizofoz
16th Oct 2007, 11:05
Go actually started to make money then sold it to 3i and part of the employees.

Do you a deal, Starry:- YOU start writing in coherent English, and I'LL start slavishly looking for slight factual errors in my posts.

drshmoo
16th Oct 2007, 14:13
Dear Skystar320....... you appear to be an accountant on one thread then a cop in another...... you must be a very very busy boy.

But one thing that is certain...... you are an expert on everything:}

drshmoo
16th Oct 2007, 14:19
Skystar320 Hey mate I see someone on another thread has stated similarly about your many proffessions. Sorry to bore you with redundancy

blow.n.gasket
22nd Oct 2007, 10:31
Bring it on - then there will be a salary war to retain crew!!!

Dream on V1
you forgot one little problem with your wish, WorkChoices and AWA's.