View Full Version : Joining the Live Cowards Society.

Sunfish
13th Oct 2007, 23:26
I joined yesterday.

I had a standing invitation to the MotoGP pits from a mate and I decided at the last minute to take him up on it.

Got Phillip Island Airstrip details and restricted area details.

Got to YMMB and found that the only aircraft available was a Lance on which I have about ten hours and I haven't flown one for six months.

Did a quick weight and balance/Flightplan etc. 18 minutes tracking via Tooradin to keep well clear.

Cloud was about 1800 ft and light to moderate turbulence

Over Tooradin I was watching a string of showers of rain over French Island and Phillip Island with no end in sight. Did an orbit and thought about disappointed mate vs. probability of me arriving overhead an unfamiliar strip, in an unfamiliar aircraft, in a shower of rain, or perhaps entering the Notam'd restricted area by mistake. I went back to YMMB.

Absent any one of those three factors and it would have been no problem. Viz was given as 5000 in showers so no real problem, but how would it have read in the crash comic?

Howard Hughes
13th Oct 2007, 23:41
How would it read?

Sunfish and QF1, we examine the similarities...;)

Hugh Jarse
13th Oct 2007, 23:50
Damn, those pit passes are tougher than Hard Yakka to come by. You must be disappointed! A few years ago a mate had "contacts" but still couldn't get passes. So he called on another mate of his, and we got a 'loan' of some VERY famous persons own passes. Better not mention names but one was a former champion rider and the other a popular presenter on TV :}

We got to meet the racer - as well as John Kocinski(?), Alex Criville, and of course, Mick:ok: What a blast!

At least you have a set of standards, Sunfish and bugged out when you weren't happy rather than push on.:ok:

Enema Bandit's Dad
14th Oct 2007, 01:00
Sounds like you made the right decision to me! :):)

TLAW
14th Oct 2007, 02:38
Anyone who disagrees is welcome to join that other society.

Jet_A_Knight
14th Oct 2007, 02:42
I'll go out on a limb and take issue with some of your decisions, Sunfish.:=

Next time you get tix like that, and you're gonna fly, organise another ticket for someone you know with an instrument rating.:ok:

You can pm me the next date:E

Sunfish
14th Oct 2007, 07:00
Nawwww, now that I know the details of the strip, I'm going to practice landing there using Braille.

Funny how things line up, if I had access to a C172 or a PA28 (R) on the day then no problems. It was just three things lining up "against" me.

ScottyDoo
14th Oct 2007, 07:33
Those "things" you mention are referred to as "swiss cheese" and the holes in the slices were beginning to line up for you.

What you did was to cut off the error chain.

You pay good money to be shown .ppt presentations of this kind of thing in CRM classes these days.

You lived to run away another day; well done! :ok: