PDA

View Full Version : security checks in the UK

loader
13th Oct 2007, 12:29
Hi fellow freight dogs.
Iīm asking specifically here, as it is an issue concerning only us cargo pilots.
Can anybody of you tell me, how you manage to bring liquids to your flight?
In my company, we operate a lot out of british airports and on every airport, they still take all the liquids and gels from us. :=
Hey. I have to carry my own luggage and that was my drink they took.
And I still prefer, to use some deodorant, although I fly only boxes.
So how is it handled in your company?
Can you check-in the luggage and the handling agent brings it to your flight.
Or are there exceptions for freight dogs?
I appreciate your answers. Thanks a lot.

Dropline
13th Oct 2007, 13:02
You can visit the airside shops and buy replacements for everything they confiscate at security at vastly inflated prices. Then you can take them on board with you!!!

Joking aside, if you operate freighters, then check in is probably not part of your handling contract. You would have to speak to your handling agent staff locally and see if you could check a bag in and have them bring it to the aircraft for you! I'm sure you're aware that the rules also state that if you do check a bag in, it has to go in the aircraft hold...

Oh and these rules about liquids apply to ALL airport staff and ALL aircrew, not just freighters... For example, I can't buy a can of coke from a landside coke machine and take it airside, but I am allowed to buy a can of coke from an airside coke machine...both machines are stocked by the same man using the same supply of coke from the same lorry. Make sense of that if you can!!!!!

You can also bring "essential" liquids through with you as long as they are in 100ml containers in a resealable clear plastic bag...

There is a lengthy thread on this subject in rumours and news...

Clarence Oveur
13th Oct 2007, 13:08
You just have to accept the fact that escaped mental patients in the UK, invariably will end up taking refuge in the offices of airport security managers.

Once there, they will issue rules and procedures that would cause even Sigmund Freud to declare them beyond a lost cause.

To add to the fun they also ensure that the rules are different between each airport.

In the end there are only two solutions. Prozac or have your handling agent (try to) come to some sort of arrangement with security.

loader
13th Oct 2007, 14:25
Thanks so far, but so far nothing new.

I know that these rules apply to all personell, but as a freight dog, you canīt even buy something in the terminal, as you enter the airport at the cargo ramp.

And there are also no check-in counters ;-)
So also the handling agent canīt check-in the luggage.
Or is it allowed, that he just drives through security with the bags in the trunk?

And if you enter through the terminal everything is closed, so you canīt buy anything new, which by the way, you will lose the next time you go through security.

So how is it done then?
No exception as everywhere else for pilots?

Hogg
13th Oct 2007, 14:38
Well in my experience we are under same rules as everyone else, strict security everywhere maybe more so than paxs operators. No exceptions. My company supplies usually adequate H2o etc with inflight catering being supplied by business class caterers.........just love the hot breakfast I cook while putting on the purculator with filter coffee! In general security issues are not really discussed as everyone in the biz knows wot we can get allowed or not.

But on a lighter note I find as some of my colleagues that if u discreetly put water around ure crotch area and under arms after the first "pat down" they retreat very quickly. Works a treat on a route we have up north that requires an airport standby afterwards.

Closing this now. Cheers Hogg