PDA

View Full Version : Travel in South Africa

Ametyst1
13th Oct 2007, 10:24
could anybody help please? Does anybody know what it would cost in a taxi to get from Johannesburg Airport to Lanseria, or from Johannesburg
Airport to Rand. thank you.

cavortingcheetah
13th Oct 2007, 10:45
:hmm:

That's an interesting question.
You may have the answer sooner than I can help but I plan to be at FAJS at the end of the month and will certainly enquire for you then if you have had no previous replies.
I presume that you mean a private taxi and not, what shall we say, a communal mini cab? These go by a totally different name down there. Pprune's wondrous moderators would expunge my post if I relayed the true name of these death and destruction vehicles, held together with rubber bands, string and the occasionally well placed spanned; which usually only serve to irritate motorists and to reduce the over population statistics of the golden city. There are some really cruel and heartless people around who would deem that a damned good thing too. Dreadful, is it not?:suspect:

Ametyst1
13th Oct 2007, 11:01
thanks, yes I do mean a private taxi. Yes, I have had an incident with one of the communal taxis in Cape Town!!!

Romeo E.T.
13th Oct 2007, 13:11
Its almost R50 from Kempton Central to the airport, thus if that short distance is anything to go by then a few hundred should do the trick...and that is a "private" taxi..not the mass transport mode of taxi.

ThreeHolerHauler
13th Oct 2007, 16:58
I suggest you contact:
http://www.jiata.co.za/
or
http://www.sacab.co.za/
or
http://www.neilsshuttle.co.za/inside.html

Chuck Ellsworth
13th Oct 2007, 23:22
I presume that you mean a private taxi and not, what shall we say, a communal mini cab? These go by a totally different name down there.

Communal mini cab?

When did they change to that name?

Do they now call Robots Traffic lights?

I haven't been there since 2000 how things change...:E

B Sousa
14th Oct 2007, 15:34
Communal mini cab?
Changed around 94?? No longer acceptable to address thems as KTs. At least in public. Maybe not even on PPrune.

Happydays
14th Oct 2007, 15:47
R300 if you take the old E-class mercs outside Joburg Domestic arrivals.

cavortingcheetah
14th Oct 2007, 16:24
:hmm:

Ah yes, shades of younger days!
Those balmy summer nights after closing at the old Veldskoen.
The starlit deep blue skies of the Highveldt.
The sybillant drone of the Toyota bakkie with the reinforced front bumpers.
The dull thunk of Castle cans, the clink of Fish Eagle bottles.
The unmistakable rasp of the Colt 1911 cocking.
(Not the Gold Cup Nickel Plate model, too shiny for night work.)
The time when kt stood for kollective target.

(A Russian folk song, based upon a Cuban theme, from Angloa.)

antic81
15th Oct 2007, 16:07
Oh and if you have not done the trip down the good old airport road before...just remember, as you are being driven past one of the many great big trucks that is far from roadworthy and is swaying precariously in its lane, don't panic!

Ametyst1
15th Oct 2007, 16:18
thank you for all your replies so far

rsull
17th Oct 2007, 00:36
I always got a guy called Peter to pick me or my wife up.

his cell is 084 airport or 084 247 7678 or email [email protected]

Always great service and he has powerpoints and wireless internet in his van, thought that was pretty cool.

Ametyst1
18th Oct 2007, 17:33
Thank you rsull, do you know the cost at all please?

rsull
18th Oct 2007, 22:47
I think that i paid 250 each way between FALA and FAJS, cant remember for sure tough but i do know that i neogated with him. Email him and find out.