PDA

View Full Version : Quick CASA medical questions

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Oct 2007, 07:31
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone quickly knows the answers to:

1. how long after your class 1 expiry do you have before you require an initial issue rather than a renewal? In JAA land it's a couple of years from memory.

2. if you're due for an ECG, are there such things as drop in centres? Or do you need a referral from a DAME first?

I know I could ask the DAME but it's the weekend and I'm due in there on Monday morning - having realised that I'm expired and also meant to have the ECG this time around.

Thanks chaps,

UTR.

Lasiorhinus
13th Oct 2007, 08:05
Most GPs in Australia will have the equipment to give you an ECG - but I'd recommend turning up an hour or so early for your appointment.

Pinky the pilot
13th Oct 2007, 08:13
I've passed the big 'five zero' and now must have an ECG with every medical. I've never had any problems with either of the DAMEs I've been to since turning 50, ECG equipment being readily available.

Lasiorhinus's recommendation re turning up early for your appointment is advice that would be well heeded.:ok:

PlankBlender
13th Oct 2007, 08:21
My Class 1 medical expires at the end of November.

I am thinking of getting it renewed now but cannot find the exact rules anywhere, ie

- if I renew now will the one year validity run from the day of renewal or the day when original one runs out?

Lasiorhinus
13th Oct 2007, 08:22
From the date of the renewal, sadly.

training wheels
13th Oct 2007, 08:29
If your DAME doesn't have the ECG equipment, then they'll write you a referral to a pathology lab to get it done who then faxes your DAME with the results. The pathology lab I went to (Dorevitch) didn't require an appointment and I had it completed within an hour including wait time.

PlankBlender
13th Oct 2007, 08:34
Thanks Lasiorhinus.

With CASA processing everything, that means one invariably loses about a month every year on a Class 1 medical, right? Ie go to the doc a month before expiry, then fly on the old one and wait about three weeks until the new one comes in..

training wheels
13th Oct 2007, 08:37
Thanks Lasiorhinus.
With CASA processing everything, that means one invariably loses about a month every year on a Class 1 medical, right? Ie go to the doc a month before expiry, then fly on the old one and wait about three weeks until the new one comes in..

The DAME will revalidate your class 1 for 2 months when you leave the clinic. CASA should send you the new certificate well before that 2 months is up. (Mine came in the mail after 2 weeks)

Hugh Jarse
13th Oct 2007, 10:24
1. I don't think there is a requirement for a fresh "initial issue". I was off for just under 2 years and only had to do the renewal (plus prove that my injury did not "prevent me from exercising the priveleges")...DAME said that he could find no requirement for otherwise.

The key is that if you have expired for more than the 2 month buffer (as alluded to by training wheels) your DAME cannot revalidate your medical, which prevents you going back to work immediately. You might have to wait up to 2 months for CASA to review your ECG and issue the certificate.

This is because they only have 1 Cardiologist (external) to review the ECGs, and often they run behind. That's why back in the old days it used to be 4 weeks for a revalidation but now it's 2 months.:yuk:

Trust me, they take their time. I had planned my return to work almost down to the day, but as a result of indifference and basically laziness (and incompetence) in the CASA Medical office I lost a few training days when they refused to renew because of an alleged "anomaly". The Cardiologist was "on leave" when my ECG went through. When I asked them who took over when this person was on leave (as I needed a fast resolution), the response was "oh, that's why we have the 2 months revalidation now. You'll just have to wait till he comes back".:yuk:

Fortunately my company was considerate and didn't dock me any pay as a result of the extended wait. In fact they managed to minimise the inconvenience by working with our FOI to allow some further training/checking to be carried out pending an eventual satisfactory outcome from CASA Medical.

2. As most others have mentioned, most DAMEs can do the ECG on the spot.

Good luck!

Unhinged
13th Oct 2007, 11:07
From the date of the renewal, sadly.

Only in specific circumstances

With CASA processing everything, that means one invariably loses about a month every year on a Class 1 medical, right?

Nope.

CASR 67.205 (1)(c)(iii) (paraphrased) A medical renewed no more than 28 days before the current one expires, will be dated from the expiry date of the current medical.

As others have said, get it renewed in the month before it expires, the doc revalidates for two months to get you through, and even CASA can manage to post you out a new medical in 6-8 weeks. No lost time needed.

PlankBlender
13th Oct 2007, 12:41
Thanks everybody, the usual high quality of answers!

Lasiorhinus
13th Oct 2007, 13:53
The key is that if you have expired for more than the 2 month buffer

If you've expired, I doubt any DAME will reissue your medical. (CASA would probably still charge you $75 though)

compressor stall
13th Oct 2007, 14:20
Some computer heart traces flag an anomaly if your heart rate is below 50bpm - then the trace needs to go for review. My doc suggested I think of something pleasureable (but not too pleasurable!!) to keep the ticker above the threshold and therefore get my medical back in a timely manner. :E

mingalababya
13th Oct 2007, 14:28
1. how long after your class 1 expiry do you have before you require an initial issue rather than a renewal?

I'm pretty sure it's 5 years. Mine had expired for more than that and I had to go through with an initial issue.

aussie027
13th Oct 2007, 17:05
Yes That is correct Minga,
If it has expired for more than 5yrs you have to do a FULL initial issue which means ecg, hearing test, opthamologist, blood work, ie lipids etc and the actual medical exam.
I had to go thru it all This Jan.